Texans very concerned about where you urinate and defecate

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
I'd assume the mother was fearful of MEN in the bathroom with her daughter.
Fear of women being assaulted by men is no longer a valid issue?

When is the last time you heard about an actual transgender person sexually assaulting a woman/girl (or man/boy for that matter) in a public washroom?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
LGBTQIA+

When are they going to just use the whole alphabet. The insanity has to stop somewhere.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Gender crowd.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
When is the last time you heard about an actual transgender person sexually assaulting a woman/girl (or man/boy for that matter) in a public washroom?
The argument of sexual assault is made to drive fear, as the nuances of this issue are very complex.

Case in point. One of the barristas at the Starbucks I go, in dress, style and mannerisms, is fairly butch. One day I noticed her name tag is now a male name, along with a pin explaining to customers what pronouns are now acceptable to him.

Out of respect for him, I call him by his preferred name, using the pronouns deemed acceptible by him.
That is just simple decency as his identity has zero impact on me. Over time, he has grown facial hair and his voice is starting to deepen. He also apparently works out quite a bit because he has bigger guns than me. :)

Now I can respect this person. I can share a bathroom with this person. We both work out. I can even share a dressing room with this person.

But he doesn't have a penis. In a gym locker room scenario, it is going to be fairly obvious that anatomically one of these men is not like the other, and it is at a societal level far deeper than just race or skin pigmentation.

Take sexual attraction out of the equation because it is irrelevant. At this stage in our societal progressive evolution, why not just go full Starship Troopers. If we are going to embrace this notion of there being an identity spectrum, why not tear down all the identity based artificial walls? That means coed college dorms. No more fraternities or sororities. No more gender based bathrooms or dressing rooms. All beaches are now nude beaches. Let's just let it all hang out.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Take sexual attraction out of the equation because it is irrelevant. At this stage in our societal progressive evolution, why not just go full Starship Troopers. If we are going to embrace this notion of there being an identity spectrum, why not tear down all the identity based artificial walls? That means coed college dorms. No more fraternities or sororities. No more gender based bathrooms or dressing rooms. All beaches are now nude beaches. Let's just let it all hang out.

This country needs to spend less time at McDonald's and a LOT more time on the treadmill before I'll endorse a proposal that will make all beaches nude.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The same people who cry sexual assault would trust their wife/GF or underage daughter to be alone in a room with Trump. Go figure.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The argument of sexual assault is made to drive fear, as the nuances of this issue are very complex.

Case in point. One of the barristas at the Starbucks I go, in dress, style and mannerisms, is fairly butch. One day I noticed her name tag is now a male name, along with a pin explaining to customers what pronouns are now acceptable to him.

Out of respect for him, I call him by his preferred name, using the pronouns deemed acceptible by him.
That is just simple decency as his identity has zero impact on me. Over time, he has grown facial hair and his voice is starting to deepen. He also apparently works out quite a bit because he has bigger guns than me. :)

Now I can respect this person. I can share a bathroom with this person. We both work out. I can even share a dressing room with this person.

But he doesn't have a penis. In a gym locker room scenario, it is going to be fairly obvious that anatomically one of these men is not like the other, and it is at a societal level far deeper than just race or skin pigmentation.

I was with you until the bolded line. If you meant a trans person maybe found out as a trans person in a locker room then sure it can happen.

If you really mean it's obvious who is and isn't trans, I'm going to suggest that you reconsider your locker room behavior. I've been in my fair share of locker rooms and have accidentally seen others junk less than 5% of the time. If it's obvious to you, you maybe rudely staring. ;)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They are intimate, whether or not you think that should be the case. There's no changing hundreds/thousands of years of culture (depending on which you look at) overnight. I mean, I wouldn't call the Greeks or Romans sexually repressed, but even they sex-segregated bathhouses.(sic)

Incredibly false.

Back then pretty much only the very rich had any concept of a bathroom or bath that was private or gender specific. Public bathrooms were essentially long benches with holes cut into them at regular intervals, I got to see them in person when my family visited Greece in 89. They were open to all ages, both sexes, and sometimes were quite large.

Sexual repression as we know it is a product of christianity - it would be kind of strange for the repression to predate what created it, no?

Looked like this:
tumblr_mm2yh3UdM01ryfivao1_500.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
1) There are literally no women who have this fear and passing such a law doesn't alleviate it. If a guy wants to walk into a bathroom and rape/peep/assault women, this dumbass law isn't changing that.
2) Transgender people have been going into opposite bathrooms and locker rooms for years believe it or not. You have almost certainly at some point been in a public bathroom with a transgender person and didn't know or care yourself.

The evidence is clear, there is nothing to actually protect women from and its mostly a means of pandering and distracting their base with big politicized announcements (there was a press conference btw on this), whilst quietly and under the table cutting millions of dollars funding for schools, healthcare, roads, etc things that actually matter

A fine argument for dropping gender specific restrooms entirely, wouldn't you say?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This country needs to spend less time at McDonald's and a LOT more time on the treadmill before I'll endorse a proposal that will make all beaches nude.
I don't know about that. Renaissance artists found and expressed beauty in curves.
I was with you until the bolded line. If you meant a trans person maybe found out as a trans person in a locker room then sure it can happen.

If you really mean it's obvious who is and isn't trans, I'm going to suggest that you reconsider your locker room behavior. I've been in my fair share of locker rooms and have accidentally seen others junk less than 5% of the time. If it's obvious to you, you maybe rudely staring. ;)
I don't know where you work out, but at my gym we sword fight and talk like Captain Jack Sparrow. You mean that doesn't happen everywhere. :)

Yes, you are correct. People don't and shouldn't stare at other people's junk, and many things do and should go unnoticed. However, some things are also unavoidable and just draw attention. There is this one guy in my gym, around 60, who is like 5' tall but has a penis that is the stuff of myth and legends. He's proud of it, flaunts it and yes others are in awe of it.

So in summary if people weren't so hung up on seeing junk this would be a non issue

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Men assault women all the time, unless you want to drop the whole college campus "crisis" shtick.
Although Trans is the topic, I'd imagine in the story of a mother was explicitly scared of MEN assaulting her daughter.
And that's not a unique fear for that mother. Plenty of humans have learned to fear other humans.

It's a generic fear of other people, and in the cases of restrooms cross gender interaction with minors.
Plenty of people here believe those concerns are irrational, but will you refuse to accept people who feel otherwise?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't know about that. Renaissance artists found and expressed beauty in curves.

How many Renaissance artists do you hang out with?

I don't know where you work out, but at my gym we sword fight and talk like Captain Jack Sparrow. You mean that doesn't happen everywhere. :)

Yes, you are correct. People don't and shouldn't stare at other people's junk, and many things do and should go unnoticed. However, some things are also unavoidable and just draw attention. There is this one guy in my gym, around 60, who is like 5' tall but has a penis that is the stuff of myth and legends. He's proud of it, flaunts it and yes others are in awe of it.

So in summary if people weren't so hung up on seeing junk this would be a non issue

I've found there is a significant age divide on locker room modesty. Like after you hit the late 40s you just give not a solitary fuck about who sees what:

CCpMyUsW8AE2C3G.png

Reactions: Starbuck1975

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I am curious, what would you consider an LGBTQIA+ friendly definition of a penis?

I never though fundamental biology would be a source of disenfranchisment. Offense sure. But disenfranchisment.

Do people with a sex change operation have a biological penis? Would the law that requires penis or no penis bathroom require that the testicles be functioning or can they be prosthetic?

I mean there are just so many questions that it isn't worth the trouble.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You know this is why Texas tried to enact a law that would have mandated dedicated transgender restrooms to provide them with the same accommodations that biological genders receive. Of course right wingers hiding behind religion torpedoed it before taking into consideration that they'd just forced those they deem to be "deplorable" into the restrooms with their own families.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
How many Renaissance artists do you hang out with?

I've found there is a significant age divide on locker room modesty. Like after you hit the late 40s you just give not a solitary fuck about who sees what:

CCpMyUsW8AE2C3G.png
No to the artist question, but my point is there can be beauty in curves.

Yes that is my gym. Although add foreign men of any age to the old men graphic, especially off the boat Europeans.

gorb

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2011
TX government is pretty stupid.

Bathroom stalls should just have floor to ceiling walls with decent doors that don't have 2" gaps.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Do people with a sex change operation have a biological penis? Would the law that requires penis or no penis bathroom require that the testicles be functioning or can they be prosthetic?

I mean there are just so many questions that it isn't worth the trouble.
It is worth the trouble. For the record, I am very much against these bathroom laws. But I also think progressives unnecessarily complicate things. I honestly had to look up you extensions to the LGBT acronym because I was like, when did this happen? Overly complicated.

What this is really about is equal protections and civil rights, essentially protected classes.

Why don't we just be direct and simplify things. Binary systems work. You are either a white cisgender male or you are not. If you're not a white cisgendered male, you are a protected class. I mean in realistic terms, is this not the framework many progressives desire?

Both the majority oppression reaction (war on christmas!!!) and special snowflake identity specialization (I was born a male but in my mind I am a pony!!!) is why we are having a debate about bathrooms.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Define penis in a LGBTQIA+ friendly way that would leave nobody offended or disenfranchised. If you are able to then maybe there is an alternative reform measure I had not previously considered.

We can just hire a wiener inspector for every public restroom. Help put America back to work!

Reactions: Thebobo

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
It is worth the trouble. For the record, I am very much against these bathroom laws. But I also think progressives unnecessarily complicate things. I honestly had to look up you extensions to the LGBT acronym because I was like, when did this happen? Overly complicated.

What this is really about is equal protections and civil rights, essentially protected classes.

Why don't we just be direct and simplify things. Binary systems work. You are either a white cisgender male or you are not. If you're not a white cisgendered male, you are a protected class. I mean in realistic terms, is this not the framework many progressives desire?

Both the majority oppression reaction (war on christmas!!!) and special snowflake identity specialization (I was born a male but in my mind I am a pony!!!) is why we are having a debate about bathrooms.

Wow. I would sincerely hope we never get to that level of binary.