Test Drive Unlimited 2 will be released immediately for Windows.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
I also found the "intro" portion of the game heinous, the AI also suffers from down syndrome as they don't drive particularly well. Car handling is very arcade even on hardcore mode. The graphics are a mixed bag, sometimes it's pretty, sometimes it sensory overload with too much hdr, saturation and special effects.

All that being said, I still enjoyed driving around the island hand braking at insane speeds through every corner. Bargain bin, this game would be fine, if you have buddies to play with it's just ok at it's current price if you can put up with the other crap.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I'm glad i stayed away then, my friend kept bugging me to buy the game for PC. I'll stick with GT5 from now on then as it seems.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Damn, If only someone would take GRID and put it on that Island. That would be fun.

Sigh, now I have to wait for Shift 2 and hope that it will be good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Damn, If only someone would take GRID and put it on that Island. That would be fun.

Sigh, now I have to wait for Shift 2 and hope that it will be good.

Grid 2 is on the way, eventually.

I just got done with a brief visit to Hot Pursuit, and it was a hell of a lot more fun. Sad.
TDU 2 was my last great hope. I got nothing left. Except Duke 4, and Dungeon Siege 3, and I'm not really looking forward to them.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Braking seems to be way too powerful. You can go from 100 to 0 in like a second... Still trying to get the driving to feel right with the G27, but thankfully they give enough options to twiddle with.

There are some nice touches that they put in, like your headlights turn on automatically when you go through a tunnel.

Do you know how to cash in on that FRIM? Can't find it in the control menu and tried every button on my G27.

I am loving how the clutch/shifter work in this game. Keep forgetting to hold the clutch in when going real slow so I don't stall lol.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Do you know how to cash in on that FRIM? Can't find it in the control menu and tried every button on my G27.

I am loving how the clutch/shifter work in this game. Keep forgetting to hold the clutch in when going real slow so I don't stall lol.

enter, and it seems there is no way to change it.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I'm moving my anticipation to Shift 2.
Hopefully it will be more racing less story.

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005

Not sure how you're setup but I am using a hybrid control scheme of the G27 & wired 360 controller. I have the "Select" and "Back" (In the menu section of the key bindings) mapped to the middle red buttons of the G27. While driving the middle right key is also mapped to flash head lamps along with select, so every time I press that button I flash my headlamps and bank my FRIM. I had initially set that key to horn which got old pretty quick.

I have customized pretty much every key binding from the default settings on the G27 and only kept the avatar movement controls on my 360 controller. It works like a charm.

Heh I was thinking, maybe in their default control map for wheels they should have let us drive our avatar around with the wheel. Hmm....let me try that...lol j/k

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sounds like a epic fucking fail to me. Was going to buy, now ill still buy it when it hits $2.50 in the steam bargin bin, 3 years from now.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
enter, and it seems there is no way to change it.

Yea thx, didn't know what key it was. Rebinded enter to be a button on my G27.

Not sure how you're setup but I am using a hybrid control scheme of the G27 & wired 360 controller. I have the "Select" and "Back" (In the menu section of the key bindings) mapped to the middle red buttons of the G27. While driving the middle right key is also mapped to flash head lamps along with select, so every time I press that button I flash my headlamps and bank my FRIM. I had initially set that key to horn which got old pretty quick.

I have customized pretty much every key binding from the default settings on the G27 and only kept the avatar movement controls on my 360 controller. It works like a charm.

Heh I was thinking, maybe in their default control map for wheels they should have let us drive our avatar around with the wheel. Hmm....let me try that...lol j/k

Haha damn. I'm always too lazy to set anything custom up, unless it doesn't work period.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I wanted to post about this shit, but I was part of the beta and technically wasn't allowed -.-. Sorry, I feel like I could have saved you the $40...

We didn't get a taste of the introduction bullshit... I've seen videos, it's terrible, etc. We did, however, get to give feedback regarding the driving model. My ideal would have been something like TDU, but with the driving model from, say, GTR... But I knew that wouldn't happen. In beta, the devs feigned interest in making things more realistic, and implementing proper wheel support (my G25 was unusable), but nothing ever changed. To those who haven't bought the game yet... If you're looking for something remotely realistic, stay away. Honestly, I think TDU was leagues ahead, if only because you could actually *feel* the weight of the car (which is really one of the first thing any self-respecting developer should tackle when starting a physics engine for a racing game, IMO). The clutch and brakes are completely on/off, the steering had a huge dead zone and was overly sensitive - even at high speeds, you could change direction without any under- or over-steer. Try as I might, I couldn't burn out... In a FORD GT...

The list goes on. Eventually the dev's forum lackeys admitted that they were catering to a 'different audience' and that gameplay with gamepads was a primary focus (blasphemy!). Couple this with the more public steady flow of trailers and developer diaries claiming realistic physics... It was infuriating, and I put almost no time into actually testing as the game was not at all enjoyable for me.

It was, and apparently is, still a mess. Quite a shame, as I *still* have the original installed and fire it up from time to time.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I wanted to post about this shit, but I was part of the beta and technically wasn't allowed -.-. Sorry, I feel like I could have saved you the $40...

We didn't get a taste of the introduction bullshit... I've seen videos, it's terrible, etc. We did, however, get to give feedback regarding the driving model. My ideal would have been something like TDU, but with the driving model from, say, GTR... But I knew that wouldn't happen. In beta, the devs feigned interest in making things more realistic, and implementing proper wheel support (my G25 was unusable), but nothing ever changed. To those who haven't bought the game yet... If you're looking for something remotely realistic, stay away. Honestly, I think TDU was leagues ahead, if only because you could actually *feel* the weight of the car (which is really one of the first thing any self-respecting developer should tackle when starting a physics engine for a racing game, IMO). The clutch and brakes are completely on/off, the steering had a huge dead zone and was overly sensitive - even at high speeds, you could change direction without any under- or over-steer. Try as I might, I couldn't burn out... In a FORD GT...

The list goes on. Eventually the dev's forum lackeys admitted that they were catering to a 'different audience' and that gameplay with gamepads was a primary focus (blasphemy!). Couple this with the more public steady flow of trailers and developer diaries claiming realistic physics... It was infuriating, and I put almost no time into actually testing as the game was not at all enjoyable for me.

It was, and apparently is, still a mess. Quite a shame, as I *still* have the original installed and fire it up from time to time.

Even so, the game didn't have to be GTR type simulation (I love gtr btw), it could have been something vaguely realistic in the same vein as some of codemasters games or forza or GT. I wouldn't mind if the cars have too much grip or the weight transfer isn't perfect or your brakes don't lock up, as long as it didn't feel like toy cars.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
TDU1 felt realistic to me. I never really thought about it before now but yeah, you could feel the mass of the car. Since I sold my Miata it has been a good way to get my sports car fix

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

This is what I am saying. There was nothing wrong with the gameplay from TDU. All they needed was to fix a handful of issues and the game would have been perfect. This could have been an EASY sequel to make. Instead they took things off in a different direction by trying to combine Grand Theft Auto and The Sims, and now its a fat ugly mess.

Also, in a racing game I really dont care about playing with other people. Seriously. All that effort to make a so-called "seamless" online experience should have instead been put into driving AI. Grid as an example gets quite challenging when you move the difficulty up. Its possible. Really its just advanced pathfinding and nothing more. Instead we have racing MMO thats more MMO than race.

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
After playing it some more I'm really enjoying it. It is disappointing that the cars don't feel as real as they did in TDU. But I'm not too much of a purist, so I suppose its OK with me. Maybe eventually they will release some sort of update to be able to make it more realistic... Probably not, but one can hope.

Got involved in live online police chase (I was on the police side), very seamless and enjoyable experience.

I don't really care about dressing up my person/house, so I'm just going to ignore that part of the game mostly.

I think I've tweaked the steering settings to the point that they feel pretty good (and similar to TDU1), still not 100% satisfied with it though.

The off-road bits are a really awesome addition, it makes good use of otherwise wasted space on the island. And its damn fun too. That alone is the worth of price admission for me.

As long as you can accept that they've seem to gone the route of arcade style racing, and you are willing to work past the awful storyline (which thankfully doesn't show up much beyond the initial cut scenes and a few short cut scenes at the beginning and the end of the championship race events) and also some of the consolitius issues, I think you'll really enjoy it.

The islands themselves are really great. It would be my dream that they would release the data for the islands after the game has done its run so that people could develop mods for it. These islands + realistic car handling = awesomesauce

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Anyone know if this game gets a decent improvement from a quad core cpu?

I'm getting pretty crappy fps with a dual core + HD5870, very high settings with 2xAA. Might be time to get a used Q6600 for my htpc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have a quad core phenom black with a radeon 4890 and it runs smooth.
Also, I am using Windows XP which is awesomely more efficient.

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
I am so disappointed with the reviews of this game so far. I had such high hopes of a realistic free roam car game. If they could mix the driving physics of gt5 with the customization of forza and the the game world of TDU id be in heaven I think. Add another one to the bargain bin wait list.

Any other good newer free roam pc car games out there? My g25 and I are bored of GT 5 :(

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I have a quad core phenom black with a radeon 4890 and it runs smooth.
Also, I am using Windows XP which is awesomely more efficient.

What res though? Forgot to say I'm playing at 1080p on my plasma. Anyway, I lowered all the settings down to HIGH and kept 2xAA. Looks and feels much smoother now without any noticeable IQ loss. Maybe if I parked and looked around, but not at 100+mph :).

I am so disappointed with the reviews of this game so far. I had such high hopes of a realistic free roam car game. If they could mix the driving physics of gt5 with the customization of forza and the the game world of TDU id be in heaven I think. Add another one to the bargain bin wait list.

Any other good newer free roam pc car games out there? My g25 and I are bored of GT 5 :(

Yea I keep thinking while I'm playing this game how sweet it would have been with physics like GT5 and this world, on a pc. Haven't played Forza, but is the only game with my other car irl, a 4th gen Trans Am ws6, so the game must be badass and have good customization.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

TDU 1. Much simpler advancement system. All the dealerships are marked on your map when the game starts. As you move up to each of the 5 levels (as opposed to 60) all the new races are marked on your map.

You can also upgrade cars any time you want, no waiting for your Exploration Experience to reach a certain level. And you also dont have to get hair cuts or face lifts to advance in level. And the physics may actually be a little better despite my earlier claims.
Also, you are not forced to do the first quarter of the game in a shitty little Italian compact. In fact you first choice of cars includes a handful of crappy American vehicles and a rather peppy Alfa Romeo and Audi TT. The Audi can be upgraded very early on to be the best car in its class, by a wide margin.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I got in on the closed beta for this and think I racked up maybe 30 minutes in it. The build I saw was absolutely horrible. I never played it again because the window for playing during the beta was usually limited to an hour or two in the middle of a Saturday. I uninstalled it and never thought about it again after I discovered that.

I played TDU1 a little and thought the idea was great, but I must of played an earlier version of that too because the car "physics" were non-existent. With my brief experience with the TDU2 beta it seemed like they were going in the exact opposite direction they needed to.

Amusingly, back in the late 80s/early 90s I played Test Drive 2 with the muscle car pack relentlessly. The handling & steering in both the TDU's seemed to make no progress since then.

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
TDU 1. Much simpler advancement system. All the dealerships are marked on your map when the game starts. As you move up to each of the 5 levels (as opposed to 60) all the new races are marked on your map.

You can also upgrade cars any time you want, no waiting for your Exploration Experience to reach a certain level. And you also dont have to get hair cuts or face lifts to advance in level. And the physics may actually be a little better despite my earlier claims.
Also, you are not forced to do the first quarter of the game in a shitty little Italian compact. In fact you first choice of cars includes a handful of crappy American vehicles and a rather peppy Alfa Romeo and Audi TT. The Audi can be upgraded very early on to be the best car in its class, by a wide margin.

Yeah I own tdu 1. I guess I'll just reinstall it and try and be content until a new flavor or one he'll of a patch is released. :(

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
ahhh, another frustration with breaking. It seems that even touching the breaks slightly causes you car to skid, and thus make your steering pretty much useless.

So say you are going 90 mph, and you have a bit of a turn up a head. You turn the wheel, car starts to turn, you realize you need to slow down. Press on breaks slightly, all of sudden your steering is worthless and you go more or less in a straight line. Let off of the breaks and all of sudden you get your steering back.

Yes you would start skidding (and thus your steering would be greatly diminished) if you slammed on your breaks, but I'm talking about gently pressing on it.

Oh, and the updated hawaii island looks so much nicer than in TDU1
And dear god is it frightening when you get cosmetic surgery