Tesla Model Y

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I knew the 7 seater was coming this year but I wasn't expecting the RWD standard range Y. That caught me off guard. I was expecting the RWD long range Y rather than the standard range. I wonder if Tesla is experiencing battery supply shortage and decided to do the standard range since that uses less battery and they can make more cars. Or maybe Elon figured they would get more sales by having cheaper standard range in the Y lineup.

I might go test drive Model Y next month or two. I'm still going to wait for the Cybertruck but I'm curious about the Y compared to the 3. I thought the 3 was fantastic when I test drove it.

There is a category of people who always buy the cheapest model. There's a surprisingly high amount of psychology that goes into purchases, especially in terms of having a really expensive "halo car" & then a rock-bottom car, which creates contrast, and this herds most people into the "good value" model that has the bulk of the features in it, so it's usually for two reasons: to bolster low-end sales & to drive the majority of people into a higher-cost model.

I have a buddy who is in the "cheapest model" group. It's a funny group because it's almost never actually about the money (because why wouldn't you just buy a $19k Civic instead, or a cheaper EV model, like a fairly mature Nissan Leaf, as opposed to a stripped-down, barebones 3?) , but it's typically emotionally-driven by a variety of factors, including what you "feel you deserve" (either because you feel like you only deserve the least-feature model, or someone from your family is in your head pressuring you to buy the cheapest one, or you want to avoid the appearance of buying the fanciest model, etc.). My buddy jumped through hoops to get the cheapest possible Model 3 (I think he had to call in for the off-menu one), when the price difference was hardly anything at the time & he could just have just waited a month or two to save up a bigger down payment, as he didn't need the car right away & isn't a "I gotta have it right now" type of person". So now he has a RWD, low-range, non-AP Tesla, which is basically....just an electric car. Might as well have saved some money & gotten a competitor at that point, lol. So many features that makes a Tesla enjoyable are neutered out at that point, and he wishes he had gotten some of the better features, but mentally & emotionally, for whatever reason, he's simply locked into "the cheapest model possible" mindset. But wouldn't get like a cheapo brand-new Nissan Versa or Kia Soul or whatever, lol.

As far as the Y goes, if you liked the 3, you'll love the Y! I personally think the 3 is way better-looking design-wise, but with all purchases, you almost always care more about functionality a few weeks into ownership than looks (unless it's very specifically for a high-performance sports car weekend toy type of purchase). The Y looks like a bloated jellybean, but it's more comfortable to sit in, has more headroom, more legroom, more storage space, etc. I mean, I'd love a Model 3, but if you gave me the choice of either the 3 or the Y right now, I'd definitely go with the Y as my daily driver! The 3 is faster than the Y (3.1s vs. 3.5s on the performance version), but I can tell you that 3.5 seconds in the Y feels blisteringly fast lol. So it kind of depends on what you're after & what you want to use it for. I'd definitely recommend test-driving it, just to get a feel for it! If the Cybertruck wasn't shipping EOY & then mass-shipping next year (well, maybe...we're on Elon-time here haha!), I'd be more interested in getting a lease for the near-term. But man, I'm stupid excited about the Cybertruck!!

Reactions: thecoolnessrune

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I’ve seen that photo, and clearly that legroom is useless. Problem is moving the 3rd row back 4 inches ruins the headroom even more. At the Model Y reveal, they did squeeze a small woman back there somehow.

It really is laughably bad lol. However:

1. I'd be curious to see it in person, like moving the middle seats forward (not sure if they'll slide at all, iirc the 5-seater has fixed rear seats)
2. Curious about how having a 7-seater would affect resale value. Extra $50/mo on a 60-month loan, but if you could sell it down the road as a 7-seat Model Y SUV...
3. Would like to see lie-flat vs. the 5-seater, if there are any advantages/disadvantages (ex. under-trunk storage etc.)

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

1. I'd be curious to see it in person, like moving the middle seats forward (not sure if they'll slide at all, iirc the 5-seater has fixed rear seats)
2. Curious about how having a 7-seater would affect resale value. Extra $50/mo on a 60-month loan, but if you could sell it down the road as a 7-seat Model Y SUV...
3. Would like to see lie-flat vs. the 5-seater, if there are any advantages/disadvantages (ex. under-trunk storage etc.)

1. Moving forward will give some room but you have to remember that the battery pack and connectors are under the rear seats. If you remove the cushion on the 5 seater, there is a sizable hump. So the third row can’t tuck their feet under the row in front. It will also make a comfortable 2nd row bad if you half the legroom. Also, if kids are using them, their feet don’t touch the ground in a car seat or booster so they would be kicking the back.

2. It will depreciate the same if it is at all usable. Otherwise it will be a negative.

3. There is a second storage cubby that will filled by the folding seat backs.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

1. In other words, taking legroom from the middle row to give it to the 3rd row. Not a great trade-off unless there was excessive legroom in the middle row to begin with.

2. Almost all car options depreciate more than the standard trim levels/models. To buck that general trend, the 7 seat Y must have a usable/useful 3rd row, and for now, that seems pretty unlikely.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tesla posted a video. The middle seats work a little bit differently - there's a bar to pull them forward, and a button on the side bottom to tilt. They pop up to let you into the back seat.

The rear storage area is still in the 7-seater, just not the second smaller storage area. So not as bad as I thought! I would still like to see it in person:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Love how they both don't show how much actual leg room is in the second row based on the driver's seat position or an actual person climbing into the back. The headrests for the 3rd row also appear to go up to the glass on the hatch at the 1:25 mark.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'd be a bit hesitant to consider the third row given what I've seen of the third row in a Model X (my friend has the 7-seater Model X). Honestly, it's pretty much unusable unless you're a little kid. Any adult sitting back there usually ends up treating it like a lounger, because there's no other comfortable way to sit.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Love how they both don't show how much actual leg room is in the second row based on the driver's seat position or an actual person climbing into the back. The headrests for the 3rd row also appear to go up to the glass on the hatch at the 1:25 mark.
It's pretty obvious that you can't get an adult male into that 3rd row, even without showing the actual seats.

I'd be a bit hesitant to consider the third row given what I've seen of the third row in a Model X (my friend has the 7-seater Model X). Honestly, it's pretty much unusable unless you're a little kid. Any adult sitting back there usually ends up treating it like a lounger, because there's no other comfortable way to sit.
Same deal with BMW X5, and that's not a small car either. BMW did solve this problem... by introducing the $75,000 X7. :tearsofjoy:

Dec 10, 2005
I'm sure people will still buy the useless 3rd row option. Americans seem to love buying vehicles to fit extremely rare use cases (instead of getting something less to cover you for 99% of cases and renting for the rare exceptions).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I could be mistaken, but it looks like the third row is only usable if the second row is pushed all the way forward (making it unusable).

Still haven't seen an actual video showing they are usable beyond two people sitting in the car.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Still haven't seen an actual video showing they are usable beyond two people sitting in the car.

I'd like to see a video of 7 adults sitting in a Model Y. It seems like the rear seats would be usable for short trips, but not if the middle row has to go all the way forward!

Musk said he didn't want to shoehorn the Y onto the 3's chassis, but the cashflow situation obviously forced him to switch gears, so now they're more or less on the hook to put out a 3-row vehicle just to keep their marketing promise & also to be semi-competitive with other vehicles. Although the 3-row Mazda CX9 is 199.4" and the Model Y is 187", which is a pretty significant difference when you're the one in the back seat lol.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Look at the photo; it's kinda hilarious that virtually no legroom for two shorter adults is even called "adequate." RDF at work here. ;)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tesla dropped radar on the 3 & S:

Reviews are not so hot during the transition period:

They want to go to a pure-vision autopilot system using 8 cameras. I think they're keeping the 12 ultrasonic sensors, just dropping the radar. I'm not expert, but this seems like a dumb idea. LIDAR technology has been rapidly improving:

Then again, Musk is one of the resident experts on the technology, as he runs a $600 billion-dollar company selling semi-self-driving cars:

In a 2018 earnings call, Musk said, “In my view, it’s a crutch that will drive companies to a local maximum that they will find very hard to get out of.” He added, “Perhaps I am wrong, and I will look like a fool. But I am quite certain that I am not.” Then a year later, he called lidar “a fool’s errand” during a presentation on Tesla’s efforts to build fully autonomous vehicles. “[A]nyone relying on LIDAR is doomed,” he added. “Doomed. Expensive sensors that are unnecessary. It’s like having a whole bunch of expensive appendices... you’ll see.”

I have so many questions. What about at night? In the rain? In snow? If mud gets on the cameras? Is there a really good AI or back-end system that will be running these 5 years from now & truly be able to recognize gestures? tbh I kind of prefer my wife's Subaru Eyesight system with TACC & lane-centering, as it's extremely reliable outside of very specific weather situations (in which case it turns off).

Hmm.