Tesla is not dead yet!!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
That's all great I guess, but I still don't care. I get to spend no money and then pay less for my monthly bills. If you want to buy your own panels and deal with all of the steps involved, knock yourself out. I have more than enough cash to buy the entire system, but why? I can keep the cash, invest it somewhere else, and still end up paying less for electricity. They can file for all of the rebates and deductions. My taxes are already immensely complicated, so I don't have the inclination to pile on more tax bullshit. I'll just pay someone else for my electricity bill every month and call it done.
There isn't a single wealthy guy I know that would take that response. That's just foolish. But whatever man, enjoy giving somebody else 30% equity returns, because, you know, you're so good that your investments beat that.

You don't make money by throwing money out the window.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I've got a Solar City contract in my hands that practically negates most of the content in the last few posts. In short, I will pay $0 for the system and less per month than what I can get from the grid for the electricity it produces. I don't give a shit about the rest.

Also, SC systems haven't reduced home values in Colorado. I know several people with a SC system and they had no trouble selling their houses. It didn't seem to add a huge amount of value, but it didn't lower the value either. Personally, I don't care about this angle either as I won't be selling my house any time soon.
I have talked to several sellside research analysts that have access to data that has shown that it has reduced selling prices.

Thanatosis

Aug 16, 2015
Geez LegendKiller you just get raped in any argument you enter, it's actually embarrassing to read your posts. Your ideas are terrible. Design and build your own panels? Don't you think maybe the margins on that kind of work are a little thin for somebody like you who can't even win an argument? Start small man.

My dad ordered one of these, the Model S P85D. Pretty amazing technology.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Geez LegendKiller you just get raped in any argument you enter, it's actually embarrassing to read your posts. Your ideas are terrible. Design and build your own panels? Don't you think maybe the margins on that kind of work are a little thin for somebody like you who can't even win an argument? Start small man.

My dad ordered one of these, the Model S P85D. Pretty amazing technology.
Lol.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I. In short, I will pay $0 for the system

T. I get to spend no money and then pay less for my monthly bills.

That is the exact horrible logic why I do not like Solarcity and by association anything Musk is involved with. Of course you are paying for the system. Look at they contract and you are saying you are going to pay X dollars per month for the next 20 or 30 years. Add up all those payments and that is what you pay for the system.

From what I have seen, the total of these payments from Solarcity are much more than if you shopped around and got the system somewhere else.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?22277-Solar-City-at-NO-COST&highlight=solarcity

This is someone from another forum who was asking about solar city and I referred them to solar panel talk
http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showt...-Two-quotes-and-Questions&highlight=solarcity

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?22907-SolarCity-proposal-review&highlight=solarcity

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I know right? Who would have thought it. Unfortunately where his is involved most people are like

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
What will prevent Tesla from stopping all the other car companies w/ bigger distribution power from taking over their market share?
Porsche is now in the market. When Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc all combine to enter the market, Tesla will crumble.
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/porsche-takes-aim-tesla-stunning-electric-concept/

Interesting fact: Ferdinand Porsche's earliest cars were electrics. The C.2 Phaeton was one of the first cars he built, which ran on batteries and electric motors. More famous though is the 1901 Mixte Hybrid, which had a gasoline-electric transmission. It was closer to a modern locomotive or ship than today's hybrids but it's generally considered the first.

Still, I'm not sure how much I'd trust an ELECTRIC car made by Volkswagen Group. VW has a hard enough time getting electrical components to work in their gas cars.
Will they have a check motor light that's always on? ^_^

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I've got a Solar City contract in my hands that practically negates most of the content in the last few posts. In short, I will pay $0 for the system and less per month than what I can get from the grid for the electricity it produces. I don't give a shit about the rest.

Also, SC systems haven't reduced home values in Colorado. I know several people with a SC system and they had no trouble selling their houses. It didn't seem to add a huge amount of value, but it didn't lower the value either. Personally, I don't care about this angle either as I won't be selling my house any time soon.

That's all great I guess, but I still don't care. I get to spend no money and then pay less for my monthly bills. If you want to buy your own panels and deal with all of the steps involved, knock yourself out. I have more than enough cash to buy the entire system, but why? I can keep the cash, invest it somewhere else, and still end up paying less for electricity. They can file for all of the rebates and deductions. My taxes are already immensely complicated, so I don't have the inclination to pile on more tax bullshit. I'll just pay someone else for my electricity bill every month and call it done.

This.

That is the exact horrible logic why I do not like Solarcity and by association anything Musk is involved with. Of course you are paying for the system. Look at they contract and you are saying you are going to pay X dollars per month for the next 20 or 30 years. Add up all those payments and that is what you pay for the system.

From what I have seen, the total of these payments from Solarcity are much more than if you shopped around and got the system somewhere else.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?22277-Solar-City-at-NO-COST&highlight=solarcity

This is someone from another forum who was asking about solar city and I referred them to solar panel talk
http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showt...-Two-quotes-and-Questions&highlight=solarcity

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?22907-SolarCity-proposal-review&highlight=solarcity

I've seen the contract myself and I had them over to my house for an evaluation (too many trees). My coworker does not pay for the system monthly. He pays for his electric usage through them. And it's less than he has charged by BGE (his electric provider). So, already cheaper. On top of that, he gets credits from BGE when he overproduces during the day more than he uses in the evening. Cheaper plus win, now.

No other costs. He's had it for a year and absolutely loves it. What's to lose? Sure, you could do most of it yourself, then have higher homeowner's insurance to cover it if any damage happens, or be responsible yourself. Solarcity's method is no muss, no fuss. Are they "making money off you?" Of course, they're a business. Are they taking money from you that you would have otherwise had? No. Most people, myself included, like the turnkey solution. I will absolutely be going with them when I PCS and end up with a house that suits it.

Regarding home values, I have been talking to my realtor recently and she absolutely agrees it adds value. Maybe it's a regional thing, but here on the east cost and down in Louisiana where I was before it adds value. My best buddy when I was in Louisiana worked for One Planet Solar & Wind. They absolutely add to their home values there and with Louisiana's ridiculous incentives you could get a system for only 10% total cost if you wanted.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
This.

I've seen the contract myself and I had them over to my house for an evaluation (too many trees). My coworker does not pay for the system monthly. He pays for his electric usage through them. And it's less than he has charged by BGE (his electric provider). So, already cheaper. On top of that, he gets credits from BGE when he overproduces during the day more than he uses in the evening. Cheaper plus win, now.

No other costs. He's had it for a year and absolutely loves it. What's to lose? Sure, you could do most of it yourself, then have higher homeowner's insurance to cover it if any damage happens, or be responsible yourself. Solarcity's method is no muss, no fuss. Are they "making money off you?" Of course, they're a business. Are they taking money from you that you would have otherwise had? No. Most people, myself included, like the turnkey solution. I will absolutely be going with them when I PCS and end up with a house that suits it.

Regarding home values, I have been talking to my realtor recently and she absolutely agrees it adds value. Maybe it's a regional thing, but here on the east cost and down in Louisiana where I was before it adds value. My best buddy when I was in Louisiana worked for One Planet Solar & Wind. They absolutely add to their home values there and with Louisiana's ridiculous incentives you could get a system for only 10% total cost if you wanted.
By paying for that electric usage he signed a contract, thst contract values his anticipated usage and net metering. It is a liability backed by a secured interest in the panels.

The question is not whether the panels benefit today, but how much do you pay for thst benefit initially and over the life of the lease.

That you sell the depreciation and energy credits is a cost thst would otherwise defray the cost of the panels. Sure, you get net metering, but what is your sale rate (retail vs wholesale) and what is your additional fees. Power companies will likely prevail in thst argument since you are still using the infrastructure that they built.

In a nutshell your savings cost you a lot of money.

And as far as resale. The research reports I have read from national sales show that it hurts resale when you have a system with a lease attached.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
There isn't a single wealthy guy I know that would take that response. That's just foolish. But whatever man, enjoy giving somebody else 30% equity returns, because, you know, you're so good that your investments beat that.

You don't make money by throwing money out the window.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying and not everything needs to be an investment. Wealthy people understand the difference between when it matters and when it doesn't in terms of investing. I've been investing for a long time and what you're saying simply doesn't apply to my situation. The amount of time and energy I would have to put into another system wouldn't make sense for me considering what I can bill for my time and services professionally. I literally spent 15 minutes talking to Solar City and that was the end of my involvement. For 15 minutes, my electricity bill will be lower and I'll give them exactly no money for their system.

Please feel free to continue getting all hot and bothered about the opportunity cost on my behalf, but I don't give a shit at all. I'm an electrical engineer and I know how to buy, install, and maintain a solar panel system, but I have no inclination to mess it considering I can pay nothing to have someone else deal with the complexity.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
By paying for that electric usage he signed a contract, thst contract values his anticipated usage and net metering. It is a liability backed by a secured interest in the panels.

The question is not whether the panels benefit today, but how much do you pay for thst benefit initially and over the life of the lease.

That you sell the depreciation and energy credits is a cost thst would otherwise defray the cost of the panels. Sure, you get net metering, but what is your sale rate (retail vs wholesale) and what is your additional fees. Power companies will likely prevail in thst argument since you are still using the infrastructure that they built.

In a nutshell your savings cost you a lot of money.

And as far as resale. The research reports I have read from national sales show that it hurts resale when you have a system with a lease attached.

You seem to be extremely ignorant of the facts related to Solar City's system. When we say $0, we mean $0 forever. I will pay them nothing - now or at any point in the future - for their system, so all of your buzzwords simply don't apply. Call it a lease if you want, but the only money they'll ever get from me is for my electric bill, which will be less than it was from the grid. You literally are totally wrong... lol.

To help you understand, here's the very simple version:
I can pay X for electricity from provider 1.
I can pay 0.9X for electricity from provider 2.

Please choose the provider that will supply electricity at a lower cost. Ready? Okay, pick number 2. Give them your payment information and now you're done. Do you understand now?

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
You seem to be extremely ignorant of the facts related to Solar City's system. When we say $0, we mean $0 forever. I will pay them nothing - now or at any point in the future - for their system, so all of your buzzwords simply don't apply. Call it a lease if you want, but the only money they'll ever get from me is for my electric bill, which will be less than it was from the grid. You literally are totally wrong... lol.

You must charge a lot if $10,000 is not worth a couple hours of your time.

No matter what you call it, you are paying SC. You may not say it is for their system, you may say it is for electricity it does not matter. You sign a contract with them that says you will pay them $150 per month for 20 years. You are paying them $36,000 over those 20 years. (Don't forget your guaranteed 3% price increase) It does not matter what call it, you are signing a contract with them stating that you are going to pay them $36K.

I am paying $26,000 over those 20 years and getting a larger system than you got.

You go ahead saving your $50 per month. I will take my $150 per month any day.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

To help you understand, here's the very simple version:
I can pay X for electricity from provider 1.
I can pay 0.9X for electricity from provider 2.

Please choose the provider that will supply electricity at a lower cost. Ready? Okay, pick number 2. Give them your payment information and now you're done. Do you understand now?
Lol, ok there chuckle head. The payment you may be paying is more than you would pay if you knew a single thing about math. You may be saving money but what are the savings costing you?

You cannot answer that because you do not understand how their system works. You think you are paying for the electricity, you arent. You are paying a variable lease stream payment, which *is* included when figuring dti/pti/ltv.

At some point you might realize I know just a tiny bit more about this than you. In fact, I might even have the cfo of solar city's business card in my stack. I'll have to try and find it.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
So much fail in this thread....

I think your main opposition is that Musk and alternative energy aren't your cup of tea. Ok. It's not like you could afford anything he makes anyway, so why gripe with others for being more fortunate/smarter?
Look kid, just shut the fuck up. I don't give a rats ass that you think Elon is the greatest guy on the planet. He is brilliant and I love renewable. But thst doesn't mean I suggest a single person who can buy the system outright to lease it from him.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You aren't understanding what I'm saying and not everything needs to be an investment. Wealthy people understand the difference between when it matters and when it doesn't in terms of investing. I've been investing for a long time and what you're saying simply doesn't apply to my situation. The amount of time and energy I would have to put into another system wouldn't make sense for me considering what I can bill for my time and services professionally. I literally spent 15 minutes talking to Solar City and that was the end of my involvement. For 15 minutes, my electricity bill will be lower and I'll give them exactly no money for their system.

Please feel free to continue getting all hot and bothered about the opportunity cost on my behalf, but I don't give a shit at all. I'm an electrical engineer and I know how to buy, install, and maintain a solar panel system, but I have no inclination to mess it considering I can pay nothing to have someone else deal with the complexity.
Yes, you are worth so much that the $50 in monthly savings is worth more than thousands of tax credits. You might, in 10 years, make that back from your "savings".

Your statement that you make so much that the tax credits are worthless is illogical vs the worthless amount of money you will be "saving" every month.

If your statements were congruent I could understand. But they aren't. So either you don't have the scratch to buy it outright, you arent wealthy, or you are simply too stupid to understand what I am saying.

And finally, I never said to buy it and install it yourself. I have said to pay for it outright and have somebody else install it. Afterall, if you have so much money you don't worry about thousands of tax credits it should be easy to come up with 20k to hire somebody. Then you get a rebate for a huge portion of the cost, don't have a continent liability, no lien on your house, and you don't have to bother sending I a monthly payment. Are you too "smart" to understand that? As an electrical engineer you should get it.

Last edited:

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
This.

I have no problem with someone making money off of me, it is a business. I think that Solarcity is making too much money off of people. I did not put my system in myself, I had a solar contractor do it. I still ended up with a bigger system than my coworker at a cost of $10,000 less. The contractor took care of all the design, permits and install. I just wrote him a check. I could have taken a loan and paid for it that way but chose not to. If I had taken a loan then I could say I was in the same boat as with SC. My payment is lower and I am money ahead. The only thing is I would still have a smaller payment that if I went with SC.

My coworker is happy saving his $50 per month. That is $600 per year. Good money but not worth the hassle to me of having to deal with a 20 year contract. I actually think he did the 30 year thing.

I just don't like people saying that they got free solar, or they are not paying any money. You sign a long term contract that says you are going to pay so many dollar per month. Whatever you are paying for, you are still on the hook for that amount of money.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I have no problem with someone making money off of me, it is a business. I think that Solarcity is making too much money off of people. I did not put my system in myself, I had a solar contractor do it. I still ended up with a bigger system than my coworker at a cost of $10,000 less. The contractor took care of all the design, permits and install. I just wrote him a check. I could have taken a loan and paid for it that way but chose not to. If I had taken a loan then I could say I was in the same boat as with SC. My payment is lower and I am money ahead. The only thing is I would still have a smaller payment that if I went with SC.

My coworker is happy saving his $50 per month. That is $600 per year. Good money but not worth the hassle to me of having to deal with a 20 year contract. I actually think he did the 30 year thing.

I just don't like people saying that they got free solar, or they are not paying any money. You sign a long term contract that says you are going to pay so many dollar per month. Whatever you are paying for, you are still on the hook for that amount of money.
You don't like it because it is a falsehood perpetuated by guys like this who run around getting everybody signed up without knowing what they are talking about.

Look at his attempts to somehow get around what I have said repeatedly. He says he doesn't want the hassle of installing his own system and just wants somebody to install it. Did I ever say to install it himself? No.

Did I ever say people couldn't make a profit? No.

Did I ever say solar sucks? No.

I have said repeatedly that people who can afford to pay it up front , should, because it doesn't make financial sense to lease it. But mdm is such a baller that he doesn't care about finances, at least he doesn't when it can save him many thousands. But hell, when it saves him 50 a month, he's all over it!

Penny wise, pound foolish.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
LK and Stopsignhank:

You guys, again, have totally misunderstood the entire business model and you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about regarding the contract. I don't owe them money contractually nor am I obligated to pay them a specific amount over any period of time. I am buying my electricity from them instead of the grid at a lower rate. THAT'S IT. There's nothing else to this and all of your fabricated bullshit doesn't apply.

I own several properties in Plano, TX and all of them have over 100 choices for electrical service. Some providers try to offer different benefits, but it all comes down to cost. The average cost is $0.108/kWh and all of the connection fees are approximately the same. I can pick and choose whichever provider I want and all I have to do is pay them for service to be delivered.

Solar City's model is exactly the same. They'll put some panels on my roof and then I pay them for electricity. I don't owe them anything other than my energy usage multiplied by their service rate per kWh. Seriously, this has nothing to do with investing and I most certainly am getting connected to a solar panel system for no cost. I won't own it and I don't want to own it because then I'm responsible for it. No one in this thread said they're getting free money or that Solar City isn't making money. You two idiots are the only ones saying that and no one agrees, but you're acting like we said it and then you're disagreeing with it.

LK, in response to your comment about not understanding math, I own an electrical engineering contracting company and all I do on a daily basis is math. You seem to academically understand certain pieces of this, but you've missed the forest for the trees in a big way. Since my previous example wasn't enough for you two to understand the situation, let's try this another way:

I'm currently paying $0.112/kWh for electricity from the grid and I only have a single option in my area, which is very common. Solar City is going to sell electricity to me for 8% less and I have to give them nothing to make that happen. If I use 100 kWh, I owe my current provider $11.20, but I'll owe Solar City $10.31. There's no other obligation now or at any point in the future. Quite literally your argument about opportunity cost and lost investment income makes no sense in any capacity regardless of how this discussion is approached because I'm not investing any money into this. I'm paying less for a utility with no risk or obligation to anything other than paying my bill. They can sell as much electricity back to the grid as they want and that'll be totally fine with me because I'm still paying less than my only other option would allow.

Maybe you don't understand how wealthy people accumulate wealth and that's causing significant confusion. Not everything in life is an investment opportunity and some things need to be handled by a third party. I'm capable of doing all of this myself, but the trade-off isn't in my favor. That statement is probably confusing to you because you're only thinking about money. When I consider time, risk, maintenance, cost, fees, and lost revenue, it's not even remotely close to worthwhile for me to deal with any of this myself.

Take a look at Solar City's options. You're confusing MyPower, SolarLease, and SolarPPA, which are very different products.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
LK and Stopsignhank:

You guys, again, have totally misunderstood the entire business model and you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about regarding the contract. I don't owe them money contractually nor am I obligated to pay them a specific amount over any period of time. I am buying my electricity from them instead of the grid at a lower rate. THAT'S IT. There's nothing else to this and all of your fabricated bullshit doesn't apply.

I own several properties in Plano, TX and all of them have over 100 choices for electrical service. Some providers try to offer different benefits, but it all comes down to cost. The average cost is $0.108/kWh and all of the connection fees are approximately the same. I can pick and choose whichever provider I want and all I have to do is pay them for service to be delivered.

Solar City's model is exactly the same. They'll put some panels on my roof and then I pay them for electricity. I don't owe them anything other than my energy usage multiplied by their service rate per kWh. Seriously, this has nothing to do with investing and I most certainly am getting connected to a solar panel system for no cost. I won't own it and I don't want to own it because then I'm responsible for it. No one in this thread said they're getting free money or that Solar City isn't making money. You two idiots are the only ones saying that and no one agrees, but you're acting like we said it and then you're disagreeing with it.

LK, in response to your comment about not understanding math, I own an electrical engineering contracting company and all I do on a daily basis is math. You seem to academically understand certain pieces of this, but you've missed the forest for the trees in a big way. Since my previous example wasn't enough for you two to understand the situation, let's try this another way:

I'm currently paying $0.112/kWh for electricity from the grid and I only have a single option in my area, which is very common. Solar City is going to sell electricity to me for 8% less and I have to give them nothing to make that happen. If I use 100 kWh, I owe my current provider $11.20, but I'll owe Solar City $10.31. There's no other obligation now or at any point in the future. Quite literally your argument about opportunity cost and lost investment income makes no sense in any capacity regardless of how this discussion is approached because I'm not investing any money into this. I'm paying less for a utility with no risk or obligation to anything other than paying my bill. They can sell as much electricity back to the grid as they want and that'll be totally fine with me because I'm still paying less than my only other option would allow.

Maybe you don't understand how wealthy people accumulate wealth and that's causing significant confusion. Not everything in life is an investment opportunity and some things need to be handled by a third party. I'm capable of doing all of this myself, but the trade-off isn't in my favor. That statement is probably confusing to you because you're only thinking about money. When I consider time, risk, maintenance, cost, fees, and lost revenue, it's not even remotely close to worthwhile for me to deal with any of this myself.

Take a look at Solar City's options. You're confusing MyPower, SolarLease, and SolarPPA, which are very different products.

Look. For the past 3 years I have been marketed every solarcity, sunrun, sun Edison, and a few other solar power lease securitzation. Treasurers, cfos, bankers from Goldman, morgan stanley, rbs...etc. I have been marketed the certificates after the tax equity toggle date. I have talked to rating agency analysts from kroll, dbrs, sp, Moodys and Fitch.

You are signing a lease. Period. It is beyond question.

You can find the kbra presale for their latest securitzation on the kbra website. The first paragraph says "the total aggregate solar discounted balance ("asdab"), consisting of the leases and power purchase agreements ("ppa"), is approximately 214.1 million."

Furthermore, a lease is a secured financing (secured by a ucc-1 statement) for a stream of payments thst has principal and interest imbedded in it. The lessee is on the hook, in this case personally, for the lease stream. Meaning they can, will, and have, sue deadbeat borrowers. They can, will, and have, sued for default if you even disconnect their system. The leases are considered consumer leases with a 20 year term. The depend on the underwriting of the borrower for repayment.

To state very clearly, the payment you make every month is a liability to repay the equipment. You are paying for the equipment, nothing else. Your "electricity" payment is not to buy electricity.

If you do not pay, they will sue you. Period. They will repo the equipment and sue you for any damages, arrears, and anything else they can get from you.

To quote the kbra presale for delinquent leases "Day 70: commence the process to shut down system. Send note to customer that the system has been turned off and if he/she does not bring their account current within 20 days, SolarCity will invoice the customer for all amounts outstanding, including penalty payments in the agreement, and suspend performance under the contract until receipt of such payments"

At day 90 they send suspension notice and aforementioned invoice.

Following the shutdown, customers have the option to pay the entire outstanding balance of the lease (all payments due on the projected lease schedule for 20 years) to have the system turned on again.

You see, it is you who misunderstands what you are doing.

This is exactly the problem i, and others, have with this industry. Many users simply do not understand what they are signing up for, how much they are really paying for it, and how much they are really being taken to the cleaners for.

It is a shame. You may be a smart guy, but you are very poorly informed on this subject.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
8%?????

That would have saved me $24 per month or $288 per year.

Not worth it in my book.
So he saves 8%, signs up for a 20 year liability, gives them all tax equity benefits, recs, and thanks them for giving it to him unlubed.

Gotta love America. Land of the greedy, home of the ignorant and foolish.

But we are supposed to believe this guy is smart, wealthy, and uncaring about saving thousands up front while he saves 8%.

Ya gotta admit, it is a sweet business model. Create a shell game and sell it to the masses like they are getting huge savings.

Lol.

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I still think Electric cars will be a failure just like they were almost 2 centuries ago....and again a century ago.....

But I hope I'm wrong....

If you hoped you were wrong, then why were you constantly trolling the electric car thread in the garage? At least you stopped doing that after being consistently called out on the BS by several people.

By the way, you were wrong when that was posted, and you are going to be proven more and more wrong as time goes on.