Tesla Cybertruck

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I didn't read the article, but if fanboy site Electrek is criticizing Tesla in the lede, you know you've done fucked up.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
What a surprise, it sucks just like everyone who has even the slightest hint of driving skill knew in the first place.

Reactions: WelshBloke

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
So in Cali, when you take the drivers test your hands have to be at 10 & 2 or you fail, So trying to take the test in one of these Tesla's would be insta-fail?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
So in Cali, when you take the drivers test your hands have to be at 10 & 2 or you fail, So trying to take the test in one of these Tesla's would be insta-fail?
With FSD early access beta v112.35, you will achieve a perfect score on the driving test. /s

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It'll be a quick easy fix for Tesla to swap those out for more conventional steering wheels though so no biggie.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah that steering wheel would be awkward I think. It looks cool but I feel it's less usable because you don't have gripping all the way around when doing wide turns.

Also not a fan of needing to use touch stuff for basic car functions like reversing. How is that suppose to work at -40 with gloves on? And even cold aside it's just inconvenient having to fiddle around with that. Imagine trying to do a 3 point turn you need to be able to quickly change between reverse and forward. Nothing beats a physical shifter. Those door handles too, that motor would break within the first week of winter when the car is full of ice and hard packed snow and you just want to get in to get your scraper. It seems they don't think about these basic every day things with these designs and think everyone lives in California.

Don't get me wrong I really think Teslas and EVs in general are pretty nice but I just hate this gimmicky stuff. Just give me a standard car, but electric. Even gas cars are getting bad now with wanting to do everything on touch screen.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
What a surprise, it sucks just like everyone who has even the slightest hint of driving skill knew in the first place.

Like. I love it conceptually. It's out of the box. It's unique. It looks REALLY cool. It lets you see the digital dashboard better. But they also added auto shifting, where the car is supposed to figure out what direction you want to go, which I think is kinda nuts at this stage in FSD development. And watching people drive in parking lots & do circles & figure 8's doesn't look too hot. I think it would be better if it was uh, I don't know the official word for it, but angle-sensitive, but a full half-turn would turn the drive-by-wire wheels more so you NEVER had to spin (which will hopefully come in an update at some point. I think emergency maneuvers are going to cause accidents with the yoke. And personally, I drive a lot of the time with my arm propped up on the top of the wheel, so I wouldn't find that comfortable at all!

Then they took away passenger side lumbar because "nobody used it"...which for some reason the software can tell, but can't tell when nobody's in the driver's seat? Plus removed radar. And I think the stalks are gone on the yoke as well. I understand coolness & efficiency but man, yikes at some of these changes! If I die in my Cybertruck because of this, just use it in my coffin & bury me in it :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Like. I love it conceptually. It's out of the box. It's unique. It looks REALLY cool. It lets you see the digital dashboard better. But they also added auto shifting, where the car is supposed to figure out what direction you want to go, which I think is kinda nuts at this stage in FSD development. And watching people drive in parking lots & do circles & figure 8's doesn't look too hot. I think it would be better if it was uh, I don't know the official word for it, but angle-sensitive, but a full half-turn would turn the drive-by-wire wheels more so you NEVER had to spin (which will hopefully come in an update at some point. I think emergency maneuvers are going to cause accidents with the yoke. And personally, I drive a lot of the time with my arm propped up on the top of the wheel, so I wouldn't find that comfortable at all!

Then they took away passenger side lumbar because "nobody used it"...which for some reason the software can tell, but can't tell when nobody's in the driver's seat? Plus removed radar. And I think the stalks are gone on the yoke as well. I understand coolness & efficiency but man, yikes at some of these changes! If I die in my Cybertruck because of this, just use it in my coffin & bury me in it :p

It was cool on a TV talking car in the 80s. Not so much in real life.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Like. I love it conceptually. It's out of the box. It's unique. It looks REALLY cool. It lets you see the digital dashboard better.
I thought that the cybertruck didn't have a digital dashboard?
Its going to look REALLY super not cool when you crash into a lamppost in a carpack because your arms got tangled up turning the wheel!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I thought that the cybertruck didn't have a digital dashboard?

That is correct; to clarify, the yoke is currently on the Tesla Model S Plaid - with the full steering wheel chopped off, you have direct line-of-sight to the digital dashboard behind it:

1623890483684.png

Not a fan of the horn design. There are times when I need to hit the horn ASAP to either prevent getting hit or to prevent someone else from getting hit. I spend a lot of time on the road & see people merge into each other all the time:

1623890567847.png

Although the resting position with the large armrest doesn't look awful:

1623890642597.png

Video review:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That is correct; to clarify, the yoke is currently on the Tesla Model S Plaid - with the full steering wheel chopped off, you have direct line-of-sight to the digital dashboard behind it:

View attachment 45867

Not a fan of the horn design. There are times when I need to hit the horn ASAP to either prevent getting hit or to prevent someone else from getting hit. I spend a lot of time on the road & see people merge into each other all the time:

View attachment 45868

Although the resting position with the large armrest doesn't look awful:

View attachment 45869

Video review:

Doesn't seem bad at all. Actually looks pretty comfy. I could get used to it pretty easily I think. The gear selector moving to onscreen probably would be more of an adjustment for me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
At least the horn is on the steering wheel! Surprised it's not a menu option on the LCD lol.

New feature from Tesla: "Auto Horn". Uses the front camera & AI to honk based on predictive technology & visual response feedback :p

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Doesn't seem bad at all. Actually looks pretty comfy. I could get used to it pretty easily I think. The gear selector moving to onscreen probably would be more of an adjustment for me.

I think it's nuts but I'm not gonna lie I really wanna try it lol

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
At least the horn is on the steering wheel! Surprised it's not a menu option on the LCD lol.
It should just be built into the accelerator pedal. You are driving a smugmobile after all.

Like I am going to look down to my wheel
to find that tiny horn button when I need to lean on the horn...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Reading through all this. There's a reason the Lightning appealed to me more :p
I can probably mash the middle of a normal steering wheel to hit the horn. Like God intended. :D

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
New feature from Tesla: "Auto Horn". Uses the front camera & AI to honk based on predictive technology & visual response feedback :p
Actually, auto horn is not bad idea at all! I would actually like this. I forget to use the horn most of the time until it's too late. Having the car AI honk for me would be great.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Actually, auto horn is not bad idea at all! I would actually like this. I forget to use the horn most of the time until it's too late. Having the car AI honk for me would be great.

I would rather the AI stop me from needing the horn...

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I didn't read the article, but if fanboy site Electrek is criticizing Tesla in the lede, you know you've done fucked up.

So, shat is perfectly clear - Electre k and Fred are owned and sponsored by Volt swagen (LOL). No really, they used to be worth a dime years ago. Not now. WV, of course, indirectly, owns the site. Normal really, like all the mafia that owns rest of media to steer mob to do stuff, influence the algos for stock market purchases and the rest that you know.

In summary, Electrek is VW posting shit that they think will help them in a long run. Nothing good about TSLA of course. It sucks to be 10 years behind and billions in debt.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So, shat is perfectly clear - Electre k and Fred are owned and sponsored by Volt swagen (LOL). No really, they used to be worth a dime years ago. Not now. WV, of course, indirectly, owns the site. Normal really, like all the mafia that owns rest of media to steer mob to do stuff, influence the algos for stock market purchases and the rest that you know.

In summary, Electrek is VW posting shit that they think will help them in a long run. Nothing good about TSLA of course. It sucks to be 10 years behind and billions in debt.
Thats not what Wikipedia says. Wikipedia makes it sound that they are all in on Tesla tbh.

You know its OK to sometimes not agree with Elon, it doesn't mean the world is going to end or Tesla isn't going to be fine!

Reactions: Brainonska511