Tesla Cybertruck

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It looks bulky enough to be a hit. If the production models are anything like the prototype they won't be able to build them fast enough.
I'm still dreaming of a work truck version, though it will never happen.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It doesn't look like it would stand up to jobsite abuse.

It might be for shop trucks that need to pick up a part from somewhere and drive it to a crew out of state or far away and drive back.

...also, for owners that just drive up to the site to peacock a bit, and drive away.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It might be for shop trucks that need to pick up a part from somewhere and drive it to a crew out of state or far away and drive back.

...also, for owners that just drive up to the site to peacock a bit, and drive away.
I'm talking an actual work truck. Tool boxes, lumber racks, the ability to carry a load. The Tesla seems like it could do the job, though I wonder what the range is with a thousand pounds in the bed and towing seven thousand pounds of trailer.

Reactions: zinfamous

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At first I thought it was ugly but it's kinda growing on me... I think it's mostly the back that looks ugly, but really you look at any other truck and it's pretty flat too, but guess the "roof" makes it look out of place. Also too bad it's not an 8 foot box. A truck is for hauling stuff, needs less cab, more box. :p 8x4 should be minumum size for a truck box as most building materials come in that size.

Anyone wanting a truck would want to at least get the AWD version so that brings you to 50k which is probably American, so that's like 66k CAD. Then add tax, and that's 76k... so still very expensive, but then again so is a brand new gas truck. Ford is suppose to come out with an electric F150 so I'm curious to see what the price range of that will be.

I want an EV truck, but I can't justify the cost of buying new. I hope some people in my city get one so that I can buy it used in 5-10 years from now. :p

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It appears that Ford will have an electric F150 for the 2021 model year. The only info I've been able to find is a video of the prototype pulling a 1.25 million pound fright train. A great stunt, but still a stunt. If they can get a 300 mile range at 50% load capacity and reasonable price point, I'd buy one.
My idea of reasonable is $60k for a work truck version. Rear wheel drive, no bells and whistles, no flashing lights, no bluetooth crap. Just a truck that gets the job done.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm talking an actual work truck. Tool boxes, lumber racks, the ability to carry a load. The Tesla seems like it could do the job, though I wonder what the range is with a thousand pounds in the bed and towing seven thousand pounds of trailer.

yeah, I'm very curious about the range with a full load. I wonder if you would be able to replace the uh..."kitchen" with a toolbox as an option, which seems like the only way to do it. No one could really access the standard toolboxes from the bed in that truck. It would have to be a custom job for sure, if anyone is interested in using that thing for real work.

I still think its primary work duty will be hauling yuppie boats to the lake and back on weekends.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Elon had a good weekend. On Friday, he won the defamation trial against the British pedo "diver" guy and on Saturday night was spotted driving the Cybertruck around Malibu and dined at Nobu with his girlfriend Grimes and his/her friends. It's good to be Iron Man.

Elon is 6 ft 2 inches. Look at how much headroom he has.
7f3ca645c08243f09b23d0ef10e78f85_md.jpg

I love how he just runs over the parking lot cone/sign. I want this truck so bad.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Tool boxes can go in the frunk or cargo bed. You can fabricate your own racks or I'm sure companies will offer aftermarket racks. This can easily be nice work truck. I work lot of big construction projects and I see people pulling in with way lesser trucks. What's nice is on some of the smaller jobs, I wouldn't even need to carry gas generator. I could run power extension cords from the back of the truck and power our work tools from the massive truck battery.

If you're planning to tow big trailer with Cybertruck, expect loss about half of its stated battery range.

It appears that Ford will have an electric F150 for the 2021 model year. The only info I've been able to find is a video of the prototype pulling a 1.25 million pound fright train. A great stunt, but still a stunt. If they can get a 300 mile range at 50% load capacity and reasonable price point, I'd buy one.
My idea of reasonable is $60k for a work truck version. Rear wheel drive, no bells and whistles, no flashing lights, no bluetooth crap. Just a truck that gets the job done.
Unless you get 500-600 mile electric F150, you're not getting 300 mile range pulling any type of trailer and load. My guess is if Ford does offer 500-600 miles electric F150 in 2021, it's going to be close to $100k price. My guess is you're not going to see electric F150 in 2021 from Ford.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I could run power extension cords from the back of the truck and power our work tools from the massive truck battery.
I'd love to see a battery meter next to any power outlets on the vehicle, like a power strip in/on the bed with a % next to it, so if I was running a ton of tools off it or something I'd see if I was going to screw myself. Heck, maybe include an estimated mileage next to that in case I'm bad at self-estimating.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'd love to see a battery meter next to any power outlets on the vehicle, like a power strip in/on the bed with a % next to it, so if I was running a ton of tools off it or something I'd see if I was going to screw myself. Heck, maybe include an estimated mileage next to that in case I'm bad at self-estimating.
You should be able to see range and battery life on your phone Tesla app.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It looks like it was designed to drive through exploding barrels and herds of mutants.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Engineering Explained did a really good video explaining the issues of towing with an EV using math.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I still think it's ugly as sin, but barring that, it ticks all of my boxes. I hear that the purchase process really sucks though. Any Tesla owners want to weigh in?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
range is going to depend on the aerodynamics of the load at least as much as the weight. pulling a few thousand pound flat bed full of bricks is going to use a lot less energy than pulling a few thousand pound bay boat.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

My biggest issue with Ford is their somewhat poor range numbers on the Mustang Mach-E. Essentially, the Mach-E will have a ~75kWh and ~100kWh battery pack sizes, and with the prior, it only attains 210-230 miles, and with the latter, it gets 250-300 miles. On the flip side, the Model 3 gets 300-330 miles with the 75kWh battery pack. I don't know if Ford is just being very conservative with their numbers, or their design is just inefficient, but those numbers are pretty bad. I mean... the 75kWh battery has a projected Wh/mi of 326-357. (To note, my real world Tesla Wh/mi is about 260.)

So, with that performance on the flagship car... how is the truck going to do?

Johnmcl7

Mar 12, 2003
I don't like Teslas, electric cars or pick up trucks but I think the Cybertruck looks brilliant, just so different to anything else out there and straight off a sci-fi set.

That said I do wonder if they can ever release it without making significant changes, I can't see how the body design is going to be able to comply with crash regulations on crumple zones.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Tool boxes can go in the frunk or cargo bed. You can fabricate your own racks or I'm sure companies will offer aftermarket racks. This can easily be nice work truck. I work lot of big construction projects and I see people pulling in with way lesser trucks. What's nice is on some of the smaller jobs, I wouldn't even need to carry gas generator. I could run power extension cords from the back of the truck and power our work tools from the massive truck battery.

If you're planning to tow big trailer with Cybertruck, expect loss about half of its stated battery range.

Unless you get 500-600 mile electric F150, you're not getting 300 mile range pulling any type of trailer and load. My guess is if Ford does offer 500-600 miles electric F150 in 2021, it's going to be close to $100k price. My guess is you're not going to see electric F150 in 2021 from Ford.
Tesla's truck simply doesn't lend itself to being a work truck. Short bed, weird slop on the sides, and racks would lock out the bed cover. It's a weekend warrior truck through and through. Like most "trucks" sold today, it's actually an SUV with a bed.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My biggest issue with Ford is their somewhat poor range numbers on the Mustang Mach-E. Essentially, the Mach-E will have a ~75kWh and ~100kWh battery pack sizes, and with the prior, it only attains 210-230 miles, and with the latter, it gets 250-300 miles. On the flip side, the Model 3 gets 300-330 miles with the 75kWh battery pack. I don't know if Ford is just being very conservative with their numbers, or their design is just inefficient, but those numbers are pretty bad. I mean... the 75kWh battery has a projected Wh/mi of 326-357. (To note, my real world Tesla Wh/mi is about 260.)

So, with that performance on the flagship car... how is the truck going to do?
I would assume the truck to have a much larger battery. Other than that, I don't know what to expect, Ford is keeping it all very hush hush. If the price point is a hundred grand, I won't be getting one, the ROI would be about eleven years, with all of the tax advantages used up in the first five.

Last edited: