Terrible Color Banding Issue (Nvidia). Help?

McDohl

Dec 2, 2016
Hello,

I never had an issue with color banding until about a few months ago. I noticed this around when I replaced my old TV for a Vizio 4K D Series TV so I figured that was the issue. Well, now I have a KS8000 and when this issue continued to persist I knew something was up.

Here are some screenshots of how it looks:

11r6fx0.jpg

2ldg74n.jpg

These aren't pictures taken with a camera because the issue isn't the display, but rather it is the data that's being sent to it. When I bring these photos to another computer the same banding still persists.

The game here is Dying Light, but the problem also exists in other games, and I also get some distortion in movies and images...

What I've tried:

- Windows color set to 32-bit
- RGB Full/Ycbcr 4:4:4/4cbcr 4:2:2
- 8bpc, 10bpc, 12bpc
- Various resolutions and refresh rates
- Clean install of latest drivers
- Clean install of old drivers
- Windows color calibration
- Multiple HDMI cables

I'm not sure what else to do/try. What do you suggest?

EDIT:

I got my integrated graphics working and tested A/B and I confirmed that it has to be a software issue! It is producing the same exact image regardless of the graphics device that I use. Do you have any ideas of what could cause this software wise?

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Welcome McDohl. First would be nice to tell us all your system spec.also operating system

McDohl

Dec 2, 2016
Welcome McDohl. First would be nice to tell us all your system spec.also operating system
Oh wow, I forgot to mention the important stuff lol.

Here are my system specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
Core i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
MSI Z97 PC MATE
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 80 PLUS BRONZE

Also, here's a screenshot of an example of the posterization that I get in images:

iSRBDND.png

And thanks for the warm welcome. :)

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
what bios version do you have on it.the 4.B is the last release
the 4.A Improved VGA compatibility.

McDohl

Dec 2, 2016
what bios version do you have on it.the 4.B is the last release
the 4.A Improved VGA compatibility.
Sorry for the late response. The BIOS is on the latest version (Whatever version that may be) according to MSI Live Update.

McDohl

Dec 2, 2016
Bump.

To update the issue I also tried installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a separate SSD and the issue still persists! It seems as though it's a Windows 10 issue or something with my hardware (But not the GPU).

Does anyone think it might be the CPU that's the culprit?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I am afraid I am not fully grasping your issue here. With the pics in the top post, I don't know what that is supposed to look like on a regular display, so I can't tell you much from that. And from the second pic I see you posting pics elsewhere, but that doesn't make them available for us to see.

Do you have to be doing anything specific to see these issues? If not, take a pic so that we can see it. Do you have access to another screen where you can verify if the issue is present there as well? Are you able to try any cable other than HDMI? When you are running off the CPU, are you disabling the Intel video?