Terraria Journey's End

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here but it's the recent update to Terraria which has added thousands of new items and reworked pretty much the entire game from the top down. New graphics, music, biomes, weapons, armor, enemies, animations, game modes, world generation, etc. Ever since this came out a few days ago, I've easily sunk another 50 hours in and haven't even scratched the surface. I think the best aspect of this is the block swap. Building my base how I want to with plentiful resources early on and then going back through later with better materials and changing it on the fly without having to destroy anything first. If anyone was ever on the fence about this game or played it a long time ago, it's definitely time to pick it up again.

ALSO, Redigit has announced that if he gets 100,000 signatures here (https://www.change.org/p/relogic-get-relogic-to-open-source-terraria-otherworld) then he will open source Terraria: Otherworld so other people can finish this project that he started and abandoned.

Proof for signatures since I personally hate online petitions, but this one is actually legit:

AAZ8IxAAAc7g.jpg

Reactions: OCNewbie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I suspect the vast majority of people who got in to Terraria have probably worn out on it. That might explain why theres no discussion.
Also, Starbound is better.
It has lasers.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wow. I put over 100 hours into it way back in 2011, maybe 2012? I forget. I'm sure a lot has changed since then!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dipped my toes in several months back and quickly got overwhelmed. Sounds like its a builder game with a bit more direction and story (that is finally finished).

These types of games always intimidate me, since my gaming time is at an extreme premium nowadays, I really don't want to sink hours into something that doesn't really go anywhere.

I'm one of those poor souls who has replaced all low grade action flick/crappy TV consumption to games with a story that I can enjoy, complete, then never touch again.

Anyone recommend a good resource to get into (and potentially get out of) Terraria quick? A sort of beginner's guide to get a player established? If its just not my kind of game, I can drop it at that point, but I want to make sure I give it a fair shake first.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I suspect the vast majority of people who got in to Terraria have probably worn out on it. That might explain why theres no discussion.
Also, Starbound is better.
It has lasers.
Don't even get me started on Starbound... Garbage developers made a garbage game.

Wow. I put over 100 hours into it way back in 2011, maybe 2012? I forget. I'm sure a lot has changed since then!
From then until now there is an easy 3,000 new items (not exaggerating), new bosses, new biomes, new secrets, and pretty much new everything. It's ridiculous seeing what the game used to be back when it first released and I bought it for $0.75 to what it has become now.

Reactions: Martimus

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
..couple things.

1. it's not a builder game. Yeah, you build stuff, but it's really a game focused on summoning boss fights and fighting these huge ass near-invincible mobs.
2. boss fights radically alter the world, giving the game "stages".
3. starbound sucks in comparison. honestly, it's worse in every aspect. Ok maybe it looks prettier.

terraria *is* a good game, but i've played it through back when The Destroyer was the last boss, and that's less than half the game now, but i'm not really keen on re-grinding everything. Terraria does have a substantial luck factor and in that sense it should be viewed as a roguelike, you get the drops you get from each boss and if they are amazing you progress to the next boss right away, and if they suck you are stuck trying to grind / craft something decent to fight the next boss. Not something i'm willing to do again.

Reactions: Martimus

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Dipped my toes in several months back and quickly got overwhelmed. Sounds like its a builder game with a bit more direction and story (that is finally finished).

Terraria doesn't have any story (which is a good thing imo). The goal is pretty much to kill bosses, which will require you to craft better equipment (using loot from monsters and stuff) and make a good boss killing arena, create efficient farming methods if you want potions and stuff. I personally found Starbound to be really terrible in comparison as it's all about questing.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I've owned Terraria since June of 2012 (just looked it up and had no idea it had been that long). Over the years I've tried to play it maybe two or three times, but I always grew disinterested largely because I had no clue what I was doing and didn't have the motivation to watch videos and read stuff to learn how. Up until a few days ago I had a total of 2.8 hours played time in those 2-3 attempts.

Fast forward to today and I now have 91 hours played time in the game and I'm really having fun (and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game - I haven't made it to hard mode yet). I decided to commit to actually getting over the hump now that the 'final' patch is out for it. It has taken me some effort to get into, but I'm really enjoying it now.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Fast forward to today and I now have 91 hours played time in the game and I'm really having fun (and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game - I haven't made it to hard mode yet). I decided to commit to actually getting over the hump now that the 'final' patch is out for it. It has taken me some effort to get into, but I'm really enjoying it now.
Take into account the fact that you can only spawn with either corruption or crimson biomes, so whichever you choose to start, you're missing out on at least 2 bosses (maybe more with the new update), several enemies, and countless items. Then you have the chance of the world not spawning with certain things (sand temples) so it's impossible to experience everything in one go. Medium worlds are definitely the best ones to start with since they have a great mixture of a little bit of everything while a large world is better suited for online play. I've tried small worlds, but it feels like playing on a harder difficulty since it's harder to gather the required amounts of ore. Supposedly, they buffed small worlds so they don't feel like that, but it's been a very long time since I played a small world.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just a small update. As of one of the recent hot-fixes, torches no longer bring your luck into the negatives now but using basic torches will bring your luck back to 0 if you also use biome-specific torches. The Torch God event was also created to combat the torch luck which is actually pretty fun, especially if you start the event with a myriad of different torches.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Well, I'm up to 327 hours played in Terraria now. I got the Zenith sword and can lay waste to anything in nothing flat. The Moon Lord was tough for me at first. I had been using the Spectre Armor, with the hood that provides life steal, and that had served me well on most everything before ML. With ML preventing most life steal via that tentacle debuff, I had to change my strategy (I died two or three times to him before finally defeating him). I ended up using a melee build to beat him. I used the defensive Beetle Armor, the Solar Eruption weapon, and as many buffs as I could gather. He ended up dropping the Lunar Flare weapon. It wasn't the Last Prism that I wanted, but it was still surprisingly amazing (and it's better than the Last Prism in many cases, in my opinion). I killed him a few more times, switching to full Nebula Armor when I could make the full set, and learning how to aim ahead of his movement to get more of the Lunar Flare's projectiles to hit his eyes. I got the Last Prism, and that made him even easier. Now with the Zenith, he's a total pushover, as is anything else in the game.

The only thing I haven't yet done is the Frost Moon event, but I can't think of anything I'd want and/or need from that event now with Zenith, and post-ML gear.

So, I feel like I've exhausted everything I could want to do with Terraria, but I still want more Terraria. I'm thinking of starting an Expert Mode playthrough, without transferring any of my gear (starting from scratch). I'm gonna miss having the Rod of Discord though... I ended up finding three of those in total, I believe. I"m thinking of maybe trying mods (Calamity, Thorium, or ?), the Expert Mode try, or maybe just taking a break for a bit. I don't want to burn out, but I don't feel like I'm at that point yet.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Expert is a whole new ball game and is the only mode I play but be warned, unless you have a very good grasp of the bosses, you'll likely need arenas for most bosses and events. Even nighttime is incredibly deadly for a new character but I actually enjoyed that aspect. It reminded me of back when the game first came out.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I'm finding classic hard mode difficult. I have 35 defense, a bow with 55+ damage, Jester arrows, and I keep getting killed by the destroyer.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
What is classic hard mode? Also, armor sets have bonuses and certain bows do various things.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
What is classic hard mode? Also, armor sets have bonuses and certain bows do various things.

When you create a character you can choose, journey, classic, medium core or hardcore, you drop items from medium and up, hard core mode is perma death. My world mode is standard/classic, and hard mode is post wall of flesh.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm finding classic hard mode difficult. I have 35 defense, a bow with 55+ damage, Jester arrows, and I keep getting killed by the destroyer.
Do you have wings yet? I found the Destroyer pretty difficult, too, when I first fought it (it killed me the first couple times I tried it, I think). I'm actually now trying to remember what I ended up doing to get past it. I'm pretty sure I had wings when I beat it the first time. I did make an 'arena' when I beat it, or at least I had at least one other platform level above a lower one. Are you using the heart lantern, campfire, regen potion, iron skin potion, endurance potion, archery potion (big damage boost for bows - multiplicative +20% damage), lifeforce potion, etc.? I fought mine near the Dryad, too, so I would often get her buff (like +8 defense and +3 hp/sec regen, I believe). Are you getting adds from other mobs? You could add a peace candle, have a sunflower within range, use a calming potion, and make sure you're fighting it within range of 2 or 3 NPCs (whatever the number is to reduce mob spawns).

I'm pretty sure I beat The Twins first though, and I may have gotten something from them that helped me continue on. I found The Twins fairly easy (kill Spazmatism first if you can).

Do you refer to the wiki frequently? It's a giant help: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
When you create a character you can choose, journey, classic, medium core or hardcore, you drop items from medium and up, hard core mode is perma death. My world mode is standard/classic, and hard mode is post wall of flesh.
Took me a minute, but I just read it wrong. I kinda forgot that classic existed since I only play Journey or Expert.

I can't honestly remember what all classic leaves out from Expert, but if you can farm Corrupt/Hallow mimics, I would highly suggest doing that along with getting better maneuverability (ie. wings). You can farm Wyverns pretty easily for the Souls of Flight and there's countless other ingredients to use for wings. Just throw the Soul of Flight in the crafting menu while talking to the guide to see what all is available. Personally, I usually farm ice golems ASAP in hard mode and by the time I get enough frost cores, I'll usually have a few ice feathers to make ice wings.

As for you having trouble with The Destroyer, you could always post a screenshot of your inventory so we can see what you're using. It could be that you're just undergeared for the fight, though with the right setup, he can be a joke. I would highly recommend going after Hallow Mimics until you get a Daedalus Stormbow if you plan on staying with a ranged character. That bow can be used for pretty much every boss fight up to Moon Lord.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I would highly recommend going after Hallow Mimics until you get a Daedalus Stormbow if you plan on staying with a ranged character. That bow can be used for pretty much every boss fight up to Moon Lord.
The Daedalus Stormbow was nerfed a bit, as were the Holy Arrows in 1.4. The wiki says this is still a good strat for The Destroyer though. I didn't end up using it (still not sure what I used at that time - I think I used the Sergeant United Shield (super awesome) along with some other stuff).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah it was nerfed slightly, but only because it was easily obtained right after hardmode was started and was a very viable option to use all through Moon Lord. They nerfed the holy arrows to fire slower and with one less "arrow", but if you toss in the magic quiver and use the ammo box and a ranged armor set, the destroyer won't last very long. With the nerf, you have to be very good at dodging in order to keep using it through Plantera and Duke. I'm fairly certain it still excels at events and the celestials with the right gear. Personally, I still love the Vampire Knives, but since I have a corruption world, I'll have to do without them this round.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Little update now that I've completed all the new content and played with the new stuff.

Journey Mode is great if you're into building massive structures. Other than that, it's a waste of time. You can control many aspects of the game (god mode, weather, enemy spawn rates, etc.) but you can also duplicate items by researching them (done through the item screen).
Master Mode is just Expert but everything takes twice as long to kill and you take half as long to die. Arenas and buffs are required for most bosses and events and even then, you're still probably going to die a lot for just a few shiny trophies and some useless mounts.
The new bosses are actually pretty fun to fight but where they really shine is with the graphics. Red went the extra mile to make the new bosses as visually impressive as possible and it definitely shows.
The new weapons are similar to the bosses in that they specialize in flair and style. Incredibly visually pleasing and the two new ultimate weapons are as broken as they should be - especially given how difficult they are to obtain. The Zenith turns everything into easy mode (literally everything). The Terraprisma was the most difficult to obtain as it requires a ton of skill and quite a bit of luck but if you run with Valhalla or Stardust armor, there's not much in the game that can get anywhere near you.

Pretty much everything about the new update pertained to graphics, but Red found a way to actually incorporate that into gameplay. If you don't plan on running through the new content, it's at least worth looking up how the new bosses/weapons look just to see how much work was put fourth.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
1.4.3 Changelog

New content and changes
  • Added Don't Starve inspired seed, The Constant, with the following features unique only to the seed:
    • Play with Don't Starve-inspired shaders and lighting.
    • Complete darkness is now dangerous to your health.
    • Exposed torches and campfires may not be reliable, as rain can put them out!
    • Players will need to eat, or they will face hunger and eventual starvation.
    • A few Don't Starve inspired worldgen features, such as Surface Marble and Aboveground Spider Biomes
    • Has substantially improved drop rates and availability of Don't Starve related items.
  • Added the Deerclops, a mid-late pre-Hardmode boss hailing from the world of Don't Starve.
  • A variation on the Deerclops' boss theme, provided by Klei Entertainment!
  • A few rare background clouds featuring characters from Don't Starve can now appear.
  • Added several new Don't Starve related emotes.
  • Main menu now has some links to some assorted Terraria-related websites.
  • Worlds using special seeds now have unique icons in the World Select menu to better tell them apart.
  • Added a config option for an older version of Smart Cursor Hold, labeled in the config file as "SmartCursorHoldCanReleaseMidUse". Changing this setting to true will make it so that Smart Cursor: Hold will immediately deactivate when releasing the hold button, even if the player is mining.
Items
Bug fixes
  • Fixed an issue where Crimson Grass Walls spread slower than the Corruption variant.
  • Fixed a (previously undetectable issue) where enemies with a higher NPC ID than Golden Slimes would have Golden Slime bonus money drops.
  • Fixed a rare worldgen softlock, where the game gets stuck trying to generate Hellforges.
  • Fixed an issue with part of Leather Whip's segments being cut off.
  • Fixed an issue with Ice Bow being flagged as a channeling weapon when it isn't.
  • Fixed an issue with Flying Knife not having proper screen range limits.
  • Fixed Princess not having the same "leaving" SFX like Angler.
  • Changed the SFX of a number of some newer summoning and magic weapons, so that they are a bit more representative of the attack itself.
  • Updated, added to, and pruned dozens of entries from an inaccurate and outdated list of homing projectiles that the Lunatic Cultist has damage resistance against.
  • Fixed a rare bug with some minions that could make them despawn.
  • Fixed some issues with certain sentry minions, which could result in desync for players joining after they had been summoned.
  • Fixed an issue where Celestial Starboard did not draw/make dust properly in reverse gravity.
  • Fixed an issue with some Rocket projectiles, resulting in a number of silent and not so silent crashes.
  • Fixed a subtle issue where certain items were a different color in the hotbar than they were in the inventory.
  • Fixed a bug where Boulders and Rolling Cacti qualified as ranged items eligible for dealing Frostbite if you wore the Frost armor.
  • Fixed an issue where Smooth Marble Blocks didn't merge with Dirt Blocks, Ash Blocks, or Frozen Slime Blocks (despite merging with most other blocks).
  • Fixed an issue where some of the newer campfires didn't have Smart Cursor outlines.
  • Fixed an issue preventing Honey Pit microbiomes from spawning in the Jungle.
  • Fixed a bug where Thorns-effects hit Empress of Light at an extremely rapid rate.
  • Fixed an issue where light Dynasty Walls showed an inaccurate teal map color.
  • Fixed an issue where some config settings are reset every time an update or hotfix occurs. Note: resolution in fullscreen resetting has not been fixed yet.

I played Don't Starve for about five hours before realizing I did not like that game. However, I absolutely love Terraria and more content is always a great thing to see.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
1.4.4 Update

So, the latest update is coming in video form for some reason and it's a rather small update by comparison to previous ones, but the developers have stated that this is the last update for Terraria before they start working on their new game. No mentions for a Terraria 2 or if anyone has taken over the unfinished expansion or even what their new game will be, but regardless of this being a small update, it still adds plenty to warrant a new play-through.