Terraria Journey's End

Stg-Flame

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2007

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here but it's the recent update to Terraria which has added thousands of new items and reworked pretty much the entire game from the top down. New graphics, music, biomes, weapons, armor, enemies, animations, game modes, world generation, etc. Ever since this came out a few days ago, I've easily sunk another 50 hours in and haven't even scratched the surface. I think the best aspect of this is the block swap. Building my base how I want to with plentiful resources early on and then going back through later with better materials and changing it on the fly without having to destroy anything first. If anyone was ever on the fence about this game or played it a long time ago, it's definitely time to pick it up again.

ALSO, Redigit has announced that if he gets 100,000 signatures here (https://www.change.org/p/relogic-get-relogic-to-open-source-terraria-otherworld) then he will open source Terraria: Otherworld so other people can finish this project that he started and abandoned.

Proof for signatures since I personally hate online petitions, but this one is actually legit:

AAZ8IxAAAc7g.jpg

Reactions: OCNewbie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I suspect the vast majority of people who got in to Terraria have probably worn out on it. That might explain why theres no discussion.
Also, Starbound is better.
It has lasers.

nakedfrog

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wow. I put over 100 hours into it way back in 2011, maybe 2012? I forget. I'm sure a lot has changed since then!

GodisanAtheist

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dipped my toes in several months back and quickly got overwhelmed. Sounds like its a builder game with a bit more direction and story (that is finally finished).

These types of games always intimidate me, since my gaming time is at an extreme premium nowadays, I really don't want to sink hours into something that doesn't really go anywhere.

I'm one of those poor souls who has replaced all low grade action flick/crappy TV consumption to games with a story that I can enjoy, complete, then never touch again.

Anyone recommend a good resource to get into (and potentially get out of) Terraria quick? A sort of beginner's guide to get a player established? If its just not my kind of game, I can drop it at that point, but I want to make sure I give it a fair shake first.

Stg-Flame

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2007
I suspect the vast majority of people who got in to Terraria have probably worn out on it. That might explain why theres no discussion.
Also, Starbound is better.
It has lasers.
Don't even get me started on Starbound... Garbage developers made a garbage game.

Wow. I put over 100 hours into it way back in 2011, maybe 2012? I forget. I'm sure a lot has changed since then!
From then until now there is an easy 3,000 new items (not exaggerating), new bosses, new biomes, new secrets, and pretty much new everything. It's ridiculous seeing what the game used to be back when it first released and I bought it for $0.75 to what it has become now.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
..couple things.

1. it's not a builder game. Yeah, you build stuff, but it's really a game focused on summoning boss fights and fighting these huge ass near-invincible mobs.
2. boss fights radically alter the world, giving the game "stages".
3. starbound sucks in comparison. honestly, it's worse in every aspect. Ok maybe it looks prettier.

terraria *is* a good game, but i've played it through back when The Destroyer was the last boss, and that's less than half the game now, but i'm not really keen on re-grinding everything. Terraria does have a substantial luck factor and in that sense it should be viewed as a roguelike, you get the drops you get from each boss and if they are amazing you progress to the next boss right away, and if they suck you are stuck trying to grind / craft something decent to fight the next boss. Not something i'm willing to do again.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Dipped my toes in several months back and quickly got overwhelmed. Sounds like its a builder game with a bit more direction and story (that is finally finished).
Terraria doesn't have any story (which is a good thing imo). The goal is pretty much to kill bosses, which will require you to craft better equipment (using loot from monsters and stuff) and make a good boss killing arena, create efficient farming methods if you want potions and stuff. I personally found Starbound to be really terrible in comparison as it's all about questing.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I've owned Terraria since June of 2012 (just looked it up and had no idea it had been that long). Over the years I've tried to play it maybe two or three times, but I always grew disinterested largely because I had no clue what I was doing and didn't have the motivation to watch videos and read stuff to learn how. Up until a few days ago I had a total of 2.8 hours played time in those 2-3 attempts.

Fast forward to today and I now have 91 hours played time in the game and I'm really having fun (and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game - I haven't made it to hard mode yet). I decided to commit to actually getting over the hump now that the 'final' patch is out for it. It has taken me some effort to get into, but I'm really enjoying it now.

Stg-Flame

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2007
Fast forward to today and I now have 91 hours played time in the game and I'm really having fun (and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game - I haven't made it to hard mode yet). I decided to commit to actually getting over the hump now that the 'final' patch is out for it. It has taken me some effort to get into, but I'm really enjoying it now.
Take into account the fact that you can only spawn with either corruption or crimson biomes, so whichever you choose to start, you're missing out on at least 2 bosses (maybe more with the new update), several enemies, and countless items. Then you have the chance of the world not spawning with certain things (sand temples) so it's impossible to experience everything in one go. Medium worlds are definitely the best ones to start with since they have a great mixture of a little bit of everything while a large world is better suited for online play. I've tried small worlds, but it feels like playing on a harder difficulty since it's harder to gather the required amounts of ore. Supposedly, they buffed small worlds so they don't feel like that, but it's been a very long time since I played a small world.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shortylickens PC Games 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY