Terraria: A 2D Minecraft Clone

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Got this for $2.50 in the Steam sale and I couldn't get into it in my first try, but then again I didn't know how to do anything. Is there a good noob guide or something?

Oct 20, 2005
So I only tested this out for like 10 min since I didn't have much time, but I was just hacking away at things on the surface, then I fell into a pit/opening into the earth and it was all dark and I had no way of jumping out since I was so far deep. What am I supposed to do if I fall into that pit/opening? I had to just restart.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
So I only tested this out for like 10 min since I didn't have much time, but I was just hacking away at things on the surface, then I fell into a pit/opening into the earth and it was all dark and I had no way of jumping out since I was so far deep. What am I supposed to do if I fall into that pit/opening? I had to just restart.

#1, make sure you have torches or some other form of light source with you.
#2, explore
#3, ...
#4, Profit!

Seriously though, you climb/dig/build your way back out after you're done exploring.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
IRON. My mid sized world for iron.

I have more SAND Dirt and stone than I know what to do with...

Iron, my kingdom for iron.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
you will be even more bummed when you figure out the latest patch made it impossible to flood hell, the water just evaporates.

Bah. Haven't loaded the game in a while so didn't know. Doesn't really make much difference I suppose. I wonder what will happen when I load that save.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
got in on a 4 pack over at the hardforums. been playing this all weekend. good fun. mining gets a little tedious. and you are ALWAYS on the assault, which is starting to get old. can't do anything for 30seconds without an onslaught of slimes or zombies.
how do you mine faster? tedious!

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
got in on a 4 pack over at the hardforums. been playing this all weekend. good fun. mining gets a little tedious. and you are ALWAYS on the assault, which is starting to get old. can't do anything for 30seconds without an onslaught of slimes or zombies.
how do you mine faster? tedious!

If you're only where zombies and slimes are, just wall off the back of the screen as you keep going. Once you start getting lower with guys that shoot through the ground and worms, this obviously no longer works, but by then you'll most likely have the gear you need to make it a minor nuisance.

Also, if you have gold gear, you can probably make a bridge in the sky and find the sky islands or take out Eye of Cuthulu by smashing shadow orbs and hopefully making meteors fall so that you can mine meteors (which is a PITA until you get decent gear.)

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
So I've beaten all the bosses, collected all the best armor and weapons, now what? I'm quite bored.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
So I've beaten all the bosses, collected all the best armor and weapons, now what? I'm quite bored.

Wait for an update that changes something. :D

Or do something just to do it, like build a sky base or one completely underground and submerged by water, or what have you.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
If you're only where zombies and slimes are, just wall off the back of the screen as you keep going. Once you start getting lower with guys that shoot through the ground and worms, this obviously no longer works, but by then you'll most likely have the gear you need to make it a minor nuisance.

Also, if you have gold gear, you can probably make a bridge in the sky and find the sky islands or take out Eye of Cuthulu by smashing shadow orbs and hopefully making meteors fall so that you can mine meteors (which is a PITA until you get decent gear.)

well I'm running around in copper gear right now because I haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. I have done all three of my sky islands. did the last one last night. wasn't worth it. got the same horse shoe that was already in a different chest. but the baloon I got was a nice treat. can jump real high now. speedy boots are of limited use, but the nice flat bridge I built from island to island they came in handy. the onslaught of harpies was... irratating. went through 300 arrows and only have 40 left after recovering all I could.
and of course right before bed I got my first blood moon. the 3 bunnies in my base were a hoot. didn't expect that. and all the zombies and eyes gave me lots of cash.
being taken back to your spawn point is a blessing and a curse. if I get in over my head, save and quit. or save and quit for a quick teleport back to base. but if I'm deep underground, losing my progress if I have to step away (pretty common with little kids around) is annoying. any way to change your spawn point?

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
well I'm running around in copper gear right now because I haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. I have done all three of my sky islands. did the last one last night. wasn't worth it. got the same horse shoe that was already in a different chest. but the baloon I got was a nice treat. can jump real high now. speedy boots are of limited use, but the nice flat bridge I built from island to island they came in handy. the onslaught of harpies was... irratating. went through 300 arrows and only have 40 left after recovering all I could.
and of course right before bed I got my first blood moon. the 3 bunnies in my base were a hoot. didn't expect that. and all the zombies and eyes gave me lots of cash.
being taken back to your spawn point is a blessing and a curse. if I get in over my head, save and quit. or save and quit for a quick teleport back to base. but if I'm deep underground, losing my progress if I have to step away (pretty common with little kids around) is annoying. any way to change your spawn point?

Yup, put a bed down and right click. Also, there's a setting that allows you to pause when you hit escape. I didn't notice it until playing for a few days but it's really nice when the kids interrupt.

Also, with the harpies I found that when I made an early game skybridge, it was nice to have a top on it too to keep those damn harpies out. As for the sky island itself, they usually have a decent amount of gold and silver in them if you mine down from the house with the chest. I would recommend upgrading your pickaxe as soon as you have enough gold to do it since it will dig quite a bit faster than your copper one. Then I'd upgrade your armour and weapons to improve your survivability.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
fuck yea! gonna try that pause thing and spawnpoint reset tonight.
I did notice my iron pickaxe was a little faster. just looking at the damage in the crafting menu the few extra damage doesn't seem worth while since mining is so tedious.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
fuck yea! gonna try that pause thing and spawnpoint reset tonight.
I did notice my iron pickaxe was a little faster. just looking at the damage in the crafting menu the few extra damage doesn't seem worth while since mining is so tedious.

It's not the damage you should be concerned about, as a weapon, it sucks. What you should care about is how much faster it mines blocks...and it (the golden pickaxe) is tremendously faster than the crappy wooden pickaxe

my bad if that's what you were saying...may have read your comment wrong.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
It's not the damage you should be concerned about, as a weapon, it sucks. What you should care about is how much faster it mines blocks...and it (the golden pickaxe) is tremendously faster than the crappy wooden pickaxe

my bad if that's what you were saying...may have read your comment wrong.

What he said. None of the pickaxes have great damage but they have more pickaxe power as you go up the tiers. The gold one is good (especially compared to lower tiered ones) but the nightmare pickaxe tears through dirt and other soft materials in no time and the molten pickaxe tears through the harder ones (rock, hellstone, meteorite, obsidian, etc...).

Either way, if you get gold or silver armour (a full set of either gives you a bonus 3(?) point of armour) you should be able to handle Eye of Cuthulu if you set up a good place to fight him and have a decent bow and arrows (flaming would be best) or something like the flintlock pistol if you have the gunsmith.

This type of setup near my spawn worked well for me:

|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|

Where the sides and bottom are dirt/rock and the middle lines are wooden platforms. It helps you duck and dodge him more effectively. If you're using a bow and arrow, it'd probably be helpful to put a dirt top on the arena to get any misses back. Since you have to fight him at night, I put torches on the walls and floor for light.