Terraria: A 2D Minecraft Clone

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
well hole le shit. can monsters too?

Nope. Good to build traps for the flying monsters in the jungle.

_|........|_
_|........|_
_|_____|_
_|__*__|_

You stand where the asterisk is. The wasps try to get you and bounce their way up and around into the pit. Pour lava in the bottom. :D

The periods are there because I couldn't use spaces.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
so when does better loot in chest start popping up? its been ok, but nothing great.
encountered a zombie miner for the first time, thought that was fairly humorous. and a big black gep that split into mini gels was neat. got a hook from a skeleton just before I quit last night. gonna give the grapling hook a go.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
so when does better loot in chest start popping up? its been ok, but nothing great.
encountered a zombie miner for the first time, thought that was fairly humorous. and a big black gep that split into mini gels was neat. got a hook from a skeleton just before I quit last night. gonna give the grapling hook a go.

You will get the best stuff in the Dungeon, the Jungle and Hell. Other than that, usually the deeper you go, the better the loot.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
What he said. None of the pickaxes have great damage but they have more pickaxe power as you go up the tiers. The gold one is good (especially compared to lower tiered ones) but the nightmare pickaxe tears through dirt and other soft materials in no time and the molten pickaxe tears through the harder ones (rock, hellstone, meteorite, obsidian, etc...).

Either way, if you get gold or silver armour (a full set of either gives you a bonus 3(?) point of armour) you should be able to handle Eye of Cuthulu if you set up a good place to fight him and have a decent bow and arrows (flaming would be best) or something like the flintlock pistol if you have the gunsmith.

This type of setup near my spawn worked well for me:

|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|

Where the sides and bottom are dirt/rock and the middle lines are wooden platforms. It helps you duck and dodge him more effectively. If you're using a bow and arrow, it'd probably be helpful to put a dirt top on the arena to get any misses back. Since you have to fight him at night, I put torches on the walls and floor for light.

That is the EXACT setup I used hahaha. I layered ebonstone and corrupt grass under the bottom so that i t would be a corruption area. This way you can summon
Easter of Worlds
as well

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
That is the EXACT setup I used hahaha. I layered ebonstone and corrupt grass under the bottom so that i t would be a corruption area. This way you can summon
Easter of Worlds
as well

Good idea. For EOW, I just carved similar area in the nearest den of corruption and had at it. Once you get him in the air, he's a piece of cake as long as you don't split him into too many pieces.

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
Thought I would ressurrect this thread. Anyone still have a server going? I need a damn nightmare pickaxe! :)

EvilManagedCare

Nov 6, 2004
I bought this about 3 weeks ago and am positively hooked. I knew this was a classic when I said I would quit after tunneling into the next chamber, then an hour had passed because I couldn't stop. Love this game and for $10 it is a steal.

I am playing in a medium world and impressed by its size. My question is, after you kill the bosses for a world, does that one close and force you to create a new one?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought this about 3 weeks ago and am positively hooked. I knew this was a classic when I said I would quit after tunneling into the next chamber, then an hour had passed because I couldn't stop. Love this game and for $10 it is a steal.

I am playing in a medium world and impressed by its size. My question is, after you kill the bosses for a world, does that one close and force you to create a new one?

negative, you can keep using the world after killing them all.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Can anyone explain what the up or down directions do? I changed it to the up arrow so I don't know what the default was. The tooltip says they reverses gravity or something. I can't figure out what they do in a side scrolling game, and if it isn't used I want to change my down key to the key that allows you to fall through plaftorms.

I'm assuming it's for climbing ladders or vines or something, but I haven't come across any yet.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Can anyone explain what the up or down directions do? I changed it to the up arrow so I don't know what the default was. The tooltip says they reverses gravity or something. I can't figure out what they do in a side scrolling game, and if it isn't used I want to change my down key to the key that allows you to fall through plaftorms.

I'm assuming it's for climbing ladders or vines or something, but I haven't come across any yet.

down drops through platforms. dunno about up other than the old rocket boots.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
down drops through platforms. dunno about up other than the old rocket boots.

Oh yeah, haha...it already does drop down. I was thinking the default was "s", but I had already switched it to the down arrow. oops.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I must have been high when I wrote this.

Terraria is awesome. I am enjoying it tremendously recently.

lol.

really sucks that you can't save to steam cloud. I'd love to carry over games to my laptop. :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Okay... and if you're standing in the middle of nowhere trying to knock out walls, you swing and swing and swing and nothing happens. DUH.

Nowhere did TFM say you can only knock out wall tiles starting from an edge, thank you very much.

I had that same problem. Very frustrating at first, to put it mildly. :D

bumping this old comment, b/c I have the same problem right now. Does the hammer actually work? (spoon's comment doesn't seen to actually answer that question).

I haven't made a hammer yet, but trying to clear out those dirt walls (left there from digging) with the pickaxe or axe does nothing. It makes a noise like it is actually doing something...but nothing happens. Guess I'll make the hammer and try it.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
bumping this old comment, b/c I have the same problem right now. Does the hammer actually work? (spoon's comment doesn't seen to actually answer that question).

I haven't made a hammer yet, but trying to clear out those dirt walls (left there from digging) with the pickaxe or axe does nothing. It makes a noise like it is actually doing something...but nothing happens. Guess I'll make the hammer and try it.

You need a hammer for background walls.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

It works (hammer). As that other quote said, you have to start from an edge. So you can't just start hammering from the middle of an existing wall. I don't remember whether this applies to the dirt walls though. Pickaxe won't work.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am addicted to this game right now, although I have only played it for two days.

I finally beat the Eye of Cthuluthu last night after dying the first two times. I just needed to have around 400 shurikens since I kept running out and had to run back to my store to buy more (and die in the process). Now i need to kill the Eater of Worlds to get some shadow scales so I can build a nightmare pickaxe. Too bad none of the 3 shadow orbs I found so far have had a Ball o' Hurt or a vilethorn, so I don't have a good weapon to fight him with. I may just try it with my Light Bane, and see how I do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so, should I just toss out my stacks of dirt? it doesn't seem that it is used to craft anything, and the only other use is to make a template to map out buildings?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
so, should I just toss out my stacks of dirt? it doesn't seem that it is used to craft anything, and the only other use is to make a template to map out buildings?

I use them for sky bridges to the major areas (such as floating islands or the dungeon).

Since the world is so large, and the ground has so many changes in elevation and so many chasms, the sky bridges seem to be the best way of getting around.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I use them for sky bridges to the major areas (such as floating islands or the dungeon).

Since the world is so large, and the ground has so many changes in elevation and so many chasms, the sky bridges seem to be the best way of getting around.

yeha, I realized that I should start using it to build air platforms and stairs and such to start working my way up, and for floating houses.

Still have no idea what to expect, really, so everything is sort of patch and go--a big glorious mess right now, heh.

when I find underground springs, is it best to start sucking up the water, or try and trap it into a large well to use for later, like creating obsidian?

I see people have posted obsidian-creating structures, but I assume these water supply is not infinite, right?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
yeha, I realized that I should start using it to build air platforms and stairs and such to start working my way up, and for floating houses.

Still have no idea what to expect, really, so everything is sort of patch and go--a big glorious mess right now, heh.

when I find underground springs, is it best to start sucking up the water, or try and trap it into a large well to use for later, like creating obsidian?

I see people have posted obsidian-creating structures, but I assume these water supply is not infinite, right?

The water supply is definitely finite, but if you've been to either side of the world you'll see there is ocean (And with it a considerable amount of water)

After I figured out hellstone mining and managed to get enough of it for three armor and weapon sets (Oh my god, so much mining) we had to gear up obsidian production. We mined down into the ocean, set up a door (Yes, doors will stop water) to a straight down tunnel into the underworld. We drained the ocean into the large lava pools down there to mass mine obsidian and it worked out pretty well.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The water supply is definitely finite, but if you've been to either side of the world you'll see there is ocean (And with it a considerable amount of water)

After I figured out hellstone mining and managed to get enough of it for three armor and weapon sets (Oh my god, so much mining) we had to gear up obsidian production. We mined down into the ocean, set up a door (Yes, doors will stop water) to a straight down tunnel into the underworld. We drained the ocean into the large lava pools down there to mass mine obsidian and it worked out pretty well.

I read that this was nerfed out of the newest 0.6 update this week? or something similar.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I read that this was nerfed out of the newest 0.6 update this week? or something similar.

I couldn't find anything in the changelog but I just drained a large pool into some lava and it only made 6 obsidian blocks, which is disappoint.

Anybody want help sculpting their world? Until the big content update they're working on comes out, I don't have much left to do.