Terraria: A 2D Minecraft Clone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, so I lied. (I was bored and wanted something different - and this appears to have more "game" than Minecraft)

Is there a way to knock out "Walls"? Part of my "house" has dirt walls, and I want to upgrade them to wood or brick. (I'm talking about the "background walls", not the brick walls you put doors and such on).

RTFM. The game freakin tells you that you can interact with background objects using the hammer.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
30 hours in and I'm officially bored. Not a bad deal for $10.

The devs have said that the only reason the game was released this early is because of the demand for it and nothing else. They have TONS and TONS and TONS of content planned, much of it already done, just waiting for release.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
The devs have said that the only reason the game was released this early is because of the demand for it and nothing else. They have TONS and TONS and TONS of content planned, much of it already done, just waiting for release.

That's good and bad. I have so many games to play and so little time. :(

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
For anyone who knows how to make water fill itself and make lava duplicate itself, I made a giant water/lava-exploiting obsidian foundry :D

mhDrc.jpg

Filled:

Ztj0c.jpg

I can sit there collecting obsidian and have hundreds and hundreds by the time the tank is empty xD

Just in case anyone missed this on the bottom of the last page. :p

Also, I've built lava traps for zombies during the bloodmoon to keep my mansion's NPCs safe, friends and I constructed a boss-farming combat arena several times with evolutionary design upgrades, had great pvp fun with everyone on their own team in pvp mode against the skeleton and the eye boss at the same time (LAWL!!), built traps for friends to fall into and drown or fall into and burn to death or fall into and get ambushed by fireball-throwing furless rabbits in hell...

the list goes on and on. The game is a riot. Do some reading on what all you can build, get a couple friends together and you'll have a GREAT time.

Well worth the $5 or $9 or whatever it is full price. Edit: Oh, and that's all without even covering all the cool stuff the devs said they're already planning and had originally planned to have already in-game at release if it wasn't for the sheer demand for its release.

The future of gaming is indy games.

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I played a bit of it. I found the movement controls really annoying. 50% of my time playing the game was getting caught on ledges and pressing space multiple times to get him to jump.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
RTFM. The game freakin tells you that you can interact with background objects using the hammer.

Okay... and if you're standing in the middle of nowhere trying to knock out walls, you swing and swing and swing and nothing happens. DUH.

Nowhere did TFM say you can only knock out wall tiles starting from an edge, thank you very much.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Okay... and if you're standing in the middle of nowhere trying to knock out walls, you swing and swing and swing and nothing happens. DUH.

Nowhere did TFM say you can only knock out wall tiles starting from an edge, thank you very much.

I had that same problem. Very frustrating at first, to put it mildly. :D

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I'm not a fan of sidescrollers at all, I had enough of that stuff growing up. However, this game is pretty damn good.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
they have now nerfed the PB so much ive gone back to swords. I wish they wouldnt consistantly nerf the same weapon for 3 updates straight. That and the bats are really hard to shoot at with guns. Now i only bust out the PB with meteor shot for bosses.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well I played a bit more. Got deep enough to see the glowing mushrooms. Also got a hook finally from a skeleton, and found a boomerang in a chest.

However now that I have over 200 life, the Eye of Cthulu spawns at night, and it's really hard. I'm reading the wiki and it says its the easiest boss. WTF? I fought it for like 8 minutes drinking potions constantly till I died and it still had over 2000/3000 HP left. That's a bunch of shit.

The sword does like 7 damage, the shuriken does 4 (not sure why on the wiki it says 110 should do the job), and the boomerang probably the best at like 11. But that little damage per hit is a long ass time to stay alive as well as kill it in enough time before it goes away in the morning.

What is the trick for this stupid thing? It's supposed to be easy??

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Well I played a bit more. Got deep enough to see the glowing mushrooms. Also got a hook finally from a skeleton, and found a boomerang in a chest.

However now that I have over 200 life, the Eye of Cthulu spawns at night, and it's really hard. I'm reading the wiki and it says its the easiest boss. WTF? I fought it for like 8 minutes drinking potions constantly till I died and it still had over 2000/3000 HP left. That's a bunch of shit.

The sword does like 7 damage, the shuriken does 4 (not sure why on the wiki it says 110 should do the job), and the boomerang probably the best at like 11. But that little damage per hit is a long ass time to stay alive as well as kill it in enough time before it goes away in the morning.

its quite easy. get a gun, wait for a meteor to land, get meteorite and make meteor shots. then just shoot it, takes about 10-20 seconds to kill

i can throw you a handgun if you want it i have an extra

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Its actually not that hard, just build a platform to fight it on and use shurikens, thats how i did it my first time, and i only had silver armor/gear. Or buy the mini shark that works really really well to just buy TONS of ammo.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I just beat the Eye of Cthulu and Eater of Worlds last night for the first time. I was in a mix of silver and gold armor with a gold sword for EoC and nightmare sword for EoW. I did both fights on large platform above my house.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I'm farming EoW now, he's really pretty easy if you have vilethorn and some pots, and you fight him on a level platform. I fight him in the roof of my house. I've got a full shadow set now.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Any new players wanna hook up for some mining or something? my steam name is TFSPIKE

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
if anyone got the 4 pack while it was at 75% I would like a copy. Thx. Heatware jjoshua2

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
Right, I had the 4 pack in my cart, and I was adding other games, and they raised the price in cart! I had thought that that was illegal, but I caues until I checkout they can change it, but its not nice at least.

Oct 20, 2005
It's $5 for a copy. The original 4-pack price was $1.88 per.

Right, I had the 4 pack in my cart, and I was adding other games, and they raised the price in cart! I had thought that that was illegal, but I caues until I checkout they can change it, but its not nice at least.

haha, well damn. I guess I should count myself lucky for pullin the trigger at $2.49 :D

Nirreln

Jun 17, 2010
For anyone who knows how to make water fill itself and make lava duplicate itself, I made a giant water/lava-exploiting obsidian foundry :D

mhDrc.jpg

Filled:

Ztj0c.jpg

I can sit there collecting obsidian and have hundreds and hundreds by the time the tank is empty xD
Sure that's a perfectly fine way to farm obisian, but I've found it's much more fun to flood the underworld instead.