Terraria: A 2D Minecraft Clone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I bought it earlier today. Not bad. I've put 3 hours into it so far. It seems like iron ore is impossible to find. :)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I bought it a few days ago. I'm not sure if I like it over Minecraft. I've been playing it more than Minecraft but simply cause I've played a ton of Minecraft over the past 6 months.

Iron Ore doesn't seem that hard to find... I mean after copper it's the next easiest ore to find.

You'll probably want a small world for the first time in singleplayer. I did a medium at first and found stuff fairly easily but I ended up switching to a small one after 3-4 hours. I'm guessing large and possibly medium worlds are more for multiplayer?

Yeah I'm curious on MP.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I bought it a few days ago. I'm not sure if I like it over Minecraft. I've been playing it more than Minecraft but simply cause I've played a ton of Minecraft over the past 6 months.

I have been watching it but I just don't think I will be able to get over the 2d. Minecrafts 3d lets you get so much more creative.... Two things I have made in the last month. Yea its a big waiste of time but still fun :) Terraria combat does look more fun though.

minecraft1.jpg

Minecraft0.jpg

Last edited:

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Wow, those look awesome!

Yeah you're right. Sure you can build in Terraria but I just don't see it as a game where people get creative and build some awesome things. And combat is a bigger part in Terraria as there are many more monsters and weapons.

I think some people think it's just 2D Minecraft, but Terraria is more of a platformer game with some MC elements like crafting, building, and digging, while Minecraft is more of a sandbox game with less emphasis on combat.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

Iron Ore doesn't seem that hard to find... I mean after copper it's the next easiest ore to find.

You'll probably want a small world for the first time in singleplayer. I did a medium at first and found stuff fairly easily but I ended up switching to a small one after 3-4 hours. I'm guessing large and possibly medium worlds are more for multiplayer?

Yeah I'm curious on MP.

Yeah, I figured that out. I started with a large world, and it took forever before I found enough copper and iron to start upgrading stuff. Started over with a small world, not having those problems anymore.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah the medium world I made first wasn't bad but I'm liking the small world better. And it was no biggie as I kept my same character so I kept all my items and just had to transfer a few things from my chest (probably won't go back to the first medium world) and build a house.

The death penalty seems kind of weak because I can just leave my gold and silver coins in my chest before I leave my house.

I got 5 hours into it now. I have a gold sword, silver pickaxe, iron axe, silver bow, iron hammer, and copper armor. I have quite a few gemstones (my first found was a batch of 11 diamonds!) but it seems like I won't be able to make a Phaseblade for quite awhile.

What sword do you guys use? I've been using the broadsword but for the average slime or zombie I face, it seems like the shortsword might be better?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I prefer the broadsword. The shortsword attacks in a stabbing motion. It's fine for the zombies that just sort of run toward you. Not so good for everything else that jumps around and stuff.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I prefer the broadsword. The shortsword attacks in a stabbing motion. It's fine for the zombies that just sort of run toward you. Not so good for everything else that jumps around and stuff.
Yeah that's true. I think I'll stick with my gold broadsword for now. Thanks.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I've been playing this with three friends since last weekend. I enjoy it. I never played Minecraft, so I can't compare it. I can see that it would be addictive, but I'm getting a little bored. I'm not a big "loot" person, and that's essentially what this game is.

It is definitely worth $9.99 though.

Edit: I use the "War Axe of the Night" and the "Starfury" sword that we just kind of accidentally found waaaay too early in the game.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'm having a hard time transitioning from gold tools to the next tier. Any tips?

I've dug a tunnel down to hell and have seen obsidian, hellforges, and have found corruption up on the surface.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm having a hard time transitioning from gold tools to the next tier. Any tips?

I've dug a tunnel down to hell and have seen obsidian, hellforges, and have found corruption up on the surface.

You need to summon the eye of cthulu or the giant worm. They drop demonite ore. I don't know how to do it, my friends who have been playing all week just kind of power-geared me.

eadInc

Mar 31, 2009
30 hours in and I'm officially bored. Not a bad deal for $10.

Ya, I feel like I've essentially "reached the peak" right before one enters the Dungeon and I'm at 26 hours. Done the Underground Jungle, Underworld and Floating Islands.

One thing I am looking forward to is that, supposedly, an update is coming that will add more - amongst those additions will be official Steam Servers so finding multiplayer will be easier. The game seems to ramp up in difficulty with another up when I coop'd with my buddy. On single-player while there were only 2-3 Fire Imps harassing me in the Underworld, when I did the Multiplayer there were easily 6 Imps along with 1-2 Bone Snakes. A lot more click-ee intensive.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
just picked it up cause my friends who know i luff minecraft pressured me into buying it. and it's only $10 so why not.

woo

Fhistleb

Mar 26, 2008
I bought this last week and only just sat down to actually play it this weekend... I'm liking it alot more than Minecraft, the fact that there are boss battles (single handedly killed the Eye of Cthulhu last night) makes it even better.

I'm not sure what to do once I have "endgame armor and weapons though."

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
okay, this game is seriously too good. started a server and was playing with friends for like 6 hours. go so much stoof. so fun.

wanna make a new world eventually and try and build a cool house.

if anyone from AT wants to halp, we should start a server and play :3

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I bought this last week and only just sat down to actually play it this weekend... I'm liking it alot more than Minecraft, the fact that there are boss battles (single handedly killed the Eye of Cthulhu last night) makes it even better.

I'm not sure what to do once I have "endgame armor and weapons though."

That's where I'm at. I drained one side of the ocean into the underworld and am farming the Sunfury.

I haven't done the dungeon yet. I've been trying to save that for a bit, but if I don't get a Sunfury soon, I'll just have to wrap things up.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
My friend gifted this to me, played for like an hour and quit. Really uninteresting and I felt like the controls were horrid.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
really really really really hate knockback, especially when trying to gather stuff like meteorite. Need the cobalt shield accessory that prevents that! also need to find a clud in a bottle. I've found multiples of other less useful things though.

My newest hated enemies are ones that can shoot projectiles through walls and teleport. WTF!?!?!? I can't do that! at least i can hit the projectiles with a weapon to stop them, but its hard to kill the enemy unless it teleports right to you.

Here's a cool tip - you can't mine corruption blocks until you get a meteorite pick but you generally can't get a meteorite to drop until you destroy a shadow orb, which is protected by corruption. The dryad npc sells purifying powder that will turn the corruption to regular stone and then yo can mine it regularly.
Apparently dynamite can destroy corruption blocks too but its expensive

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Okay, so I lied. (I was bored and wanted something different - and this appears to have more "game" than Minecraft)

Is there a way to knock out "Walls"? Part of my "house" has dirt walls, and I want to upgrade them to wood or brick. (I'm talking about the "background walls", not the brick walls you put doors and such on).

Nightrainsrt4

Nov 18, 2010
Here's a cool tip - you can't mine corruption blocks until you get a meteorite pick but you generally can't get a meteorite to drop until you destroy a shadow orb, which is protected by corruption. The dryad npc sells purifying powder that will turn the corruption to regular stone and then yo can mine it regularly.
Apparently dynamite can destroy corruption blocks too but its expensive

Summon bosses and kill them to make the pick. Then mine corruption/orbs. Then meteors.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Ignore the meteorite pick. Dig down to hell and just make a fire pick.

Don't forget your Obsidian pocket item!

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
For anyone who knows how to make water fill itself and make lava duplicate itself, I made a giant water/lava-exploiting obsidian foundry :D

mhDrc.jpg

Filled:

Ztj0c.jpg

I can sit there collecting obsidian and have hundreds and hundreds by the time the tank is empty xD