Terraria 1.3 coming next week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I found out what i was doing wrong, you are suppose to play this at low res. I was trying to max it out and was like "everything is so small can't see inventory.". lol

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Love this game. Rivals Minecraft for amount of hours I've spent on it. A friend I used to play with wanted to play it the other day, but now I'm glad we didn't so now we can play in a few days with the new content.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I'm pretty excited about this update. It has been a long time since I played Terraria and this will be a great reason to start a new world. I even played a little bit last night to get familiar with the controls again.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Update should be out in 12 hours.

Expert mode sounds amazing and I highly suggest it for any other veteran players here.

Last edited:

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Terraria 1.3 is out :

https://terraria.org/news/it-has-begun-terraria-1-3-launches-today

On GOG (message) :

http://www.gog.com/news/content_update_terraria_13

It just won't stop growing.

Originally released in early 2011 - Terraria - the infinite pixel playground, receives yet another MAJOR content update. So major it could be an expansion pack, but it's not - it's free and it's four years in the making - because the developers love you so very much.

Terraria is an open-world platformer in which you build, mine, craft, and fight your way across big and diverse procedurally-generated realms. If you have yet to take your first baby steps in one of the most immense video games out there, this is a wicked good time to get your copy while it’s 25% off for the next 48 hours - that's until July 2, at 4:59 PM GMT.

The 1.3 Changelog is huge - it's over 20,000 characters long and includes new features like a fresh Expert mode, a photo/camera mode for the creative, new environments and enemies, and hundreds of gameplay changes and quality of life fixes like revamped town NPCs. Somewhere down the list of changes you'll also find a bullet point that mentions over 800 new items to discover.

No biggie though.

Pick up your copy or grab the newest patch right now, and get lost, in the biggest sandbox adventure ever!

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Expert isn't so bad. Craft a yo-yo as soon as possible and all surface and cave enemies pose zero threat to you. Expert mode just makes you rush certain aspects that you would otherwise take your time with like gathering NPCs as quickly as possible (namely just rush the merchant for the piggy bank) as well as crafting better armor.

The way I played normal was I would craft a pickaxe from my highest quality ore and use my second-most abundant for armor. This will probably change when I get closer to entering hard mode.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Started a new expert world with my friend the other night. Haven't found much as far as treasure goes. Still seeking the "fortune and glory." The enemies are definitely more numerous. We can't last more than a minute or two in the jungle or corruption surfaces yet. Get surrounded so quick. I did find a Demonic Boomerang, which was awesome, but I'll have to try to figure out how to craft a yo-yo. I like figuring out crafts, instead of looking them up in this game.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Started a new expert world with my friend the other night. Haven't found much as far as treasure goes. Still seeking the "fortune and glory." The enemies are definitely more numerous. We can't last more than a minute or two in the jungle or corruption surfaces yet. Get surrounded so quick. I did find a Demonic Boomerang, which was awesome, but I'll have to try to figure out how to craft a yo-yo. I like figuring out crafts, instead of looking them up in this game.

I've sworn off looking stuff up as well for this run through. Going to try to discover things organically. The yoyo is amazing though, it's a good low end flail for taking out the beginning mobs.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I got a unicorn mount that I can ride. :) Apparently the blessed apple which summons it is a 0.50% drop from hallow biome creatures underground.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Not sure if everyone is aware or has had any issues, but there was an update to 1.3.0.3 released on 7/3 to fix some issues.

Not sure if they got everything or not, so there may be another update if there are still problems.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
I still can't load my old worlds, but I'm not too worried. I like starting over.

Just found my first Expert item: Shield of Cthulhu.

This update is so good. Seriously the best money I ever spent on Steam. I've owned it for like 3 or 4 years, but I kind of regret waiting to get it on sale. I'd have gladly paid more than $10 if I knew I'd still be playing it this many years later.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Anyone else keep getting a steam bootstrap error every 30min-1hr happen to them? Only happens with this game.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Got my new character back to where I can beat Hard Mode Bosses again. Now I need to beat Plantera. I remember when I did it before it was with weapons from the Hardmode Dungeon before that was patched and with the teleport rod. So this time should be harder.

The Hallowed/Corrupt Mimics are really nice for getting decent starter hardmode weapons since you can craft them basically. Rocking a Dart Pistol and Orichalcum armor. I had forgot how tough some of the hardmode armors were to get. I also found a unicorn that I can ride. It's fucking hilarious.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It has been awhile since I played last, have they gotten around to adding controller support, and does it work well?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I just don't see me enjoying this type of game. It looks like any other side-scroller I played on the SNES

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I just don't see me enjoying this type of game. It looks like any other side-scroller I played on the SNES

It is not. It is way more. You don't just go through the levels collecting better equipment so you can kill bigger monsters. You collect material to build nearly everything. Probably 80% of the game is not spent killing monsters but building houses, designing deathtrap mazes, and creating interesting things.

And about the time you think you have found it all and know what is going on a giant eyeball the size of your awesome castle attacks you, or an army of goblin wizards knocks down your carefully planned defenses and slaughters you, or you find out that there is a floating cloud city, or that you have been playing on easy mode and there is a whole new hard world waiting for you.

You might not enjoy this sort of game, but it is nothing like the old side scrollers of our SNES days.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
You didn't enjoy any side-scrolling SNES game? That's kind of sad.

It's been $1.99 before, though, so you have the option of trying it for very cheap.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This game has so much depth, and death. My biggest "complaint" about game is the water, for some reason it always ruins my design plans or gets in my way. lol

Pumps, they are your friend. So is filling the water spaces with blocks/bricks and then mining them out again... I liked making express shafts to different levels, and protecting them by having walls of lava on the sides of the shaft to keep enemies that can travel through dirt from getting into the shaft (since most die or are greatly injured passing through the lava walls). It takes time, 3 or 4 buckets of lava and a lava generator, but once you got that, life is good.

I liked to encase the shaft with glass walls with the lava between glass walls as well, such that the lava also acts as my light source :D

Last edited:

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
Terraria's graphics are pretty awful, but the game is great. Definitely going to fire it up as soon as I get home after reading this thread.

Anyone know of any HD texture packs that work with the latest patch? Man, if they used slightly higher resolution textures so it looked like something on the level of Spelunky HD or Rogue Legacy, it'd be great.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Sons and I have gotten into this game, dated but fun. Reminds me of Below the Root even though they are nothing alike just a fun game.