Tell your story

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TallGeese
Originally posted by: HotChic
I want to get a position as an intern for a literary agency this summer.
Dear Lord...you aren't an English major by chance, are you?

*cowers* English... and communications, does that redeem me? The lit agency job is working with an agent who once handled my book (never went anywhere) and it'd be a nice resume builder if I ever go into publishing, which I'd like to do. Not journalism or teaching, NO!

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I am a hopelessly Baffled person who can't sleep to save my life and I've got to be at work in the morning at 7am...lol, I was doing good with the sleep thing but then I had the weekend off and bam ! I'm screwed
up again !

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
well, i was picked on a lot as a small child, and now i hate the world. yep, that about sums it up.

my parents have probably had the largest impact on me... they've instilled in me what i think are solid values and a desire to succeed.

Sounds like me. :) I went to a small private school from k-grade to 5th, three girls in my class, was picked on by the teacher's pet, who was never punished. Was told I was incapable of doing the work, was accused of lying when I did well on reading assignments. My parents pulled me out and homeschooled me in 6th, graduated high school at 15, community college for a few years, now at UCDavis. I can echo your statement, "my parents have probably had the largest impact on me... they've instilled in me what i think are solid values and a desire to succeed." Very well put.

wow, we are pretty similar, at least as far as that whole college stuff goes. i was actually a bad student though, still am kinda. dunno, i just want to get out into the real world and prove myself. don't get me wrong, i think education is important, but i am growing tired of studying and not seeing results :p

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
speaking of english.. hotchic can vouche for my lack of spelling ability. Give me any two numbers and i can add them or do something mathmatical with them. But when it comes to words, i could spell my way out of a paper bag.

I was the only person in my class who only got a 2 on my AP english exam (5 is the highest you can get) I got tihs from my dad, he's a terrible speller as well, really good with numbers though

in highschool i always wanted to be an architect. It wasn't until i got to college that i ever even considered being a comp sci major-- and i'm not sure what ever changed my mind.

one day i'd still love to design my own house

nihil

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2002
rough childhood
rough school years
rough teens
alcoholic parents
constant betrayal by loved ones
horrible past 8 months

these have all led to me being one of the most bitter people i know. :D

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: baffled2
I am a hopelessly Baffled person who can't sleep to save my life and I've got to be at work in the morning at 7am...lol, I was doing good with the sleep thing but then I had the weekend off and bam ! I'm screwed
up again !

Oh, Pav isn't here to tell you a story. :( I'm not much for bedtime stories, sorry. How about a mug of my special Ghiredelli hot chocolate?

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
*cowers* English... and communications, does that redeem me? The lit agency job is working with an agent who once handled my book (never went anywhere) and it'd be a nice resume builder if I ever go into publishing, which I'd like to do. Not journalism or teaching, NO!
Don't be so sensitive, or afraid.

There's NOTHING like having an MFA in Creative Writing (Fiction) and ending up as a Networking Dude (or Dudette) professionally (like yours truly).
My wife, however, who completed her doctorate (after having our first child mind you), teaches middle school English (half days) in a private school locally, and is actively publishing articles in various magazines here and there. So easy there, sister.... ;)

Your internship plans are DEFINITELY the way to go for your goal. A good friend of ours established herself in publishing in the same manner, by building experience, and CONTACTS in the business.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

Oooh, what kind of house would you design? I love to look at all the pretty houses, especially in Lake Tahoe - those wood A-frames with beautiful stone bases and lots of windows overlooking the lake.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001

Oooh, what kind of house would you design? I love to look at all the pretty houses, especially in Lake Tahoe - those wood A-frames with beautiful stone bases and lots of windows overlooking the lake.

I'm a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and would probably make a house similar in style to his designs.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec

I'm a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and would probably make a house similar in style to his designs.

Mm, ever seen the Marin Civic Center that he designed? They used it to film the movie Gattica (sp?) because it's so cool and different looking. Where would you put your house?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I'll possibly write a longer story later this week... if you want to find out a synopsis of what's happened to me, my thoughts this last year, check out my diary... other than that, I'll elaborate later.

My Diary...:D

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Mm, ever seen the Marin Civic Center that he designed? They used it to film the movie Gattica (sp?) because it's so cool and different looking. Where would you put your house?

Well, i want to live in virginia the rest of my life.. i love it here. By far the best state in the country. :)
i want to live somewhere with lots of property, a big open feild on one side of my house, a forest leading up to a mountain on the other, and a stream / river or lake in front of my house wehre i can go fishing. And all of this still close enough to civilization so i can work without a 2 hour commute.

who knows though.. i love to change my mind and i know that next week i'll think something different. And i'll probably just end up living in some cheap apartment somewhere. (i'm also a pessimist)

p0ntif

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Our life experiences make us who we are. No matter how small and mundane, and no matter how magnificent and brief. We are products of our genetic makeup thrust into a timeline of experiences we call life, and these expereinces shape us . . . None of us are the same people we were when we were five years old, or the person we were last week. Life is a persitant landscape to which we adapt to or die. Everything I have expereinced is what makes me who I am. From enjoying summer days atop a grassy hill, or eating chocolate ice cream, or accidentally crushing a newborn baby bird that fell from its nest. That's who I am, and I'm not sure if who we actually are can be contained in words alone. :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
well, alright, I didn't really want to study anyway :)
Anyway, people will be more likely to read 10 1 paragraph long posts than 1 10 paragraph long post, so here's a story. I'll stop when I get bored or incoherent, or whenever I feel like I've written enough.

February, 1999
I'm halfway done with my senior year of high school: Aptos High School, Aptos, CA, anyway, I meet a girl named Brianna in my 5th period creative writing class. I find her attractive, funny, interesting... generally have a crush on her, you get the idea..... fast forward to that May. School is ending, I'm graduating, and she's got one more year of school left. She writes her number in my yearbook. I take that as a good omen. Few weeks later.... we talk on the phone a couple times. I ask her out to coffee. I got lost on the way to her house, was over an hour late. Then I got pulled over on the way to coffee for speeding. Not the best start to the date, but she didn't really care, she was having fun just being with me. Fast forward a few more months, to September. I didn't know what I was going to do with myt life, college didn't seem interesting. I was thinking of something with computers, but I had no real focus. I was workngi part time doing graphic design. I signed up at the lcoal community college so that I could keep living in my parents house for free, basically. This continues through the winter and into the spring. At this point, Brianna's having "family issues" (that's a WHOLE other story). Let's suffice it to say that she's got 3 months of high school left, and her mom quit her job, got eveicted and moved out of state with a drug dealer who beat her. My girlfriend moved in with an aunt and uncle. However, it was fairly obvious that she was there cause they felt they had a duty to take care of her, and they'd much rather have her move out.
Brianna lived there through the summer. I continued to work part time, and take classes at the JC. At the end of summer, Brianna had had jsut about enough of living with people who really didn't want her around. Her sister was excited about having Brianna come live with her. Brianna decides to move.

The issue: I live in California. Brianna's sister lives in Florida.

We (me and Brianna) fly to Florida. Brianna is staying, I have a return ticket for a few days later. Florida Sucks. I hate it. We do the long distance phone thing for a few months... three months or so. I then decide that my schooling at a JC is going nowhere. I drop my classes the first week of school, pack up my 14 year old truck w/ 131k miles on it, and strike out across the dessert to Las Vegas - and eventually: Florida.
It takes me only 4 days to drive myself to Florida. I get a speeding ticket on the way. I drove From boulder Colorado to Kentucky in one 16 hour day. I was a driving machine. 8:00AM to after 2:00AM the next morning.... I-70 east for 1500 miles.... no A/C, no Power Steering, and a broken CD player....

September: arrive in Florida. I still hate it. Florida is truly the armpit of America. It's hot, and flat, and buggy, and wet, and everything is stained yellow. I'm there for a few weeks. Actualyl considered living there... finding a job and an apartment. But I knew I really didn't want that Brianna didn't really want it either. We decided to leave. She was working at a department store. We waited for her final paycheck.
Two weeks later: We take of with a car with 147k miles on it, and about $1200, and all her belongings under a tarp in the back of the truck. I-95 north...
We decide to take the trip back as the once in a lifetime opportunity it is, and make the best of it. First stop: Washington DC. Washingtonwas fun, saw the museams, the capitol, the memorials.
Second Stop: New York, New York. Brianna is quite the theater fan. I took her to a braodway show :) I've never been able totop that one.....
Rest of the stops: random palces across the country.
Now, driving through nevada after my 10,000 mile round trip: Where the hell is Brianna going to live? She has an aunt in Sacramento. It's time we called her. Brianna's aunt agrees, with about 6 hours notice, to let brianna live on her couch. Sacramento is about 150 miles from where I live, but it's better than 3000. Plus, Florida sucked ass anyway. I drop off brianna in Sacramento, and head home the next day. back to my old job, my parents house, and the crappy JC classes.

Now, this is really only the first step (well, not really the first, but one of the steps) on the road to where I am today. But, like I said, it's a long story.
What did I learn? How did this change me? I don't know if it can be explained, but when you drive 10,000 miles for the person you love, you realize a lot of things that you never knew before. Everything from little things, like the fact that the graffiti in Kansas says "Jesus saves", to things like the power of the human heart (yes, I know it's a corny phrase), and your own willpower.

TO BE CONTINUED...

You people better read and respond to that now, after all that time I spent writing it.

Oneiric

Mar 13, 2002
Well one day I was in church doing my hail mary's when the priester said he had a surprise for me in the back room. He said it was a job only for good little chrisitan boys. I was so proud that I got to shine the priests magic candle. I still don't know why my dad shot him when he found out. Oh well. Go Wisconsin.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
i have no idea who i am yet. i'm not done with school yet (college), i have no idea where i will be in a year, not even sure if i'll be in the same country. and i feel like time is running out for me to get everything done...and i am 24.

same here but Im 22

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I am where I am today because of Sesame Street. So to Sesame Street, Thank You! :cry;

What a coincidence, I too am where I am because of Sesame Street, well not so much because of Sesame Street as much as it is that I live there, on the street I mean, I used to live in a trash can until that jerk oscar showed up, you wouldn't know it from the show but he is extremely grouchy, and violent, yes violent, he beat me you know. Then there was that time when I was being hassled by Bert and Ernie to buy crack from them, and that other time when I stole a cookie from the cookie monster (he broke my thumbs). More than anything else though, I think that acid Bert and Ernie gave me shaped my life, I mean it sent me on some wild trips, once I tried to eat big bird, yeah that didn't go too well, lets just say now I have a fear of anything feathered.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Sorry notfred, was otherwise occupied. When do we hear the rest of the story? :)

when I'm convinced that more people than just me read the first part :)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Sorry notfred, was otherwise occupied. When do we hear the rest of the story? :)

when I'm convinced that more people than just me read the first part :)

I read the whole thing!! Awesome story...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Grew up with the typical terrible parenting of young Asian parents. Never had a babysitter, the TV was sufficient enough. Even missed out on the drive to excel stuff - it's early on in your childhood where your parents should install that work ethic, and mine failed miserably at it. Conservative Muslim household, too. So I rebelled, but with an informed air to it. I know my parents' culture and values, but I despise them for being at least a century too old. All they've ever done is edge me towards alienation from my peers, but I never stood for it. Thank whatever deity you believe in for that.

My growth socially was retarded quite a bit from all that but I've bounced back fantastically. :) And it's not like even their mistakes were all for nothing. I am critical with my beliefs and never afraid to voice them. Most importantly it taught me what I will NOT do with my own children. It was nice that they recently apologized for whatever mistakes they made raising me. They were of course only human.

Madcowz

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2000
The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... very well, where do i begin?
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Jee, you want like...my life story in a nutshell? Ok, here goes...

Born in 1971, raised in rural Michigan, near a town with a pop. of about 900 people. That was just the pop. within the town limits, in all there were perhaps 2300 people including the 'surrounding' community. Yeah, big place, I think there were more head of livestock than people. hehe

From K through 3, I went to a school which was comprised of a main building housing three classrooms, next to that were three mobile home trailers converted into classrooms. Grades K through 2 were held in the trailers, grades 3 through 5 were held in the main building.

I remember having to wear coats and gloves in class for several days in the dead of winter, those trailers were so breezy the cold blew right through them. Then they were like Easy Bake Ovens during the first and last few weeks of school (summer). During a spring tornado warning, we had to dash out of the trailers and into the main building, which was a sturdy cinder block construction.

10 years before I attended, there were no trailers. All grades K through 5 were held in that one main building. Apparently, a population 'surge' forced them to buy three trailers and move grades K through 2 out. lol! Before I entered 4th grade, my school consolidated its elementary with a nearby community and my school closed. At the time, it was a big thing to pass second grade and move into the 'good' building, but I only got to be there for one stinking year, darn it! hehe

Fast forward to high school, as the rest of my elementary and 'middle' school years were rather dull and uneventful. In 10th grade I managed to become 'involved' with a girl far too seriously than any 16 year-old ever should. We had a 'passionate' (read love/hate) relationship which lasted for about 6 years, well beyond high school. Two dumb kids, too young to know better, and too "in love", or perhaps in lust, to care.

It was one big 'learning experience', which is really just a euphemism for "mistake". Actually, it was more like one 'learning experience' after another, after another, etc. etc., like a fly banging into the window a thousand times, for 6 years until both of us got sick of 'learning'. Thankfully, no children came of it, although I cannot explain how.

Went to a local community college after high school, graduated, worked as a surgical technician and assistant for 5 years between two area hospitals. Became burned-out on the stress, crazy hours, varying shifts, and the really glamorous stuff like needle sticks, vomit, blood, pus, entrails, and excrement, not listed in any particular order of appearance, so I left the field altogether. Around 1994, I developed an interest in computers, so I've been dabbling in that area since leaving the medical field.

Since the age of 18, I've often struggled through fleeting bouts of exhaustion and sleepiness at inappropriate times, which I always thought to be primarily due to my highly irregular sleeping schedules. But the severity of the exhuastion and sudden sleepiness progressed to near disabling levels between the ages of 25 and 30, and I began having other disturbing experiences that I was too embarrassed to tell anyone about. Finally, after a period of denial and stubborness, not to mention wrecking two cars from falling asleep at the wheel, I went to a doctor, who referred me to a sleep specialist. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy and cataplexy, a neurological disorder first described in the medical literature more than 100 years ago, which I've likely had since the age of 15 or 16.

Currently, I'm unable to work due to my symptoms, my doctor STILL wants to do yet another test (to the tune of $1400, 100% of which I'm paying out-of-pocket because I have no insurance) to determine the extent and severity of my narcolepsy before he will move to the actual treatment phase (drugs), and I've moved back in with my parents at the age of 31. Woohoo! :disgust:

That's all folks!