Tell your story

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
What's made you who you are? Whine, rant, fantasize (within limits), laugh, cry, recount your life or just a single detail that stands out to you particularly that helps describe the person you've become. :)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
well, i was picked on a lot as a small child, and now i hate the world. yep, that about sums it up.

my parents have probably had the largest impact on me... they've instilled in me what i think are solid values and a desire to succeed.

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
parents decided they wanted a 2nd child so they had intercourse. then i went through all of the regular kid stuff. my dads a professional photographer so ive always been around photos. around 8 got saved and then around 13 turned around and started doing everything wrong and now my life is pretty good with all the bad stuff going on. i like my life as it is. i did cry last week when i blew my dads transmission out though. does that count as crying?;)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
well, i was picked on a lot as a small child, and now i hate the world. yep, that about sums it up.

my parents have probably had the largest impact on me... they've instilled in me what i think are solid values and a desire to succeed.

Sounds like me. :) I went to a small private school from k-grade to 5th, three girls in my class, was picked on by the teacher's pet, who was never punished. Was told I was incapable of doing the work, was accused of lying when I did well on reading assignments. My parents pulled me out and homeschooled me in 6th, graduated high school at 15, community college for a few years, now at UCDavis. I can echo your statement, "my parents have probably had the largest impact on me... they've instilled in me what i think are solid values and a desire to succeed." Very well put.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
i have no idea who i am yet. i'm not done with school yet (college), i have no idea where i will be in a year, not even sure if i'll be in the same country. and i feel like time is running out for me to get everything done...and i am 24. :confused:

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Three years in the U.S. Army with one year of that time being under fire definitelly had a coalescing force on my personality. It taught me to stand up for my beliefs no matter what the odds were. This has, of course, caused many interpersonal problems throughout my life, but I will defend my beliefs against all odds.

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
not just 1 thing .... it was all that I had been doing ......

Always felt the need to balance the joy of living and proving I could do anything !!!

That sums up my drive

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
my parents raised me to have high standards for myself.. which worked really well up until i finished highschool... before college i was a 4.0 student, eagle scout, lacrosse player / track runner... athlete type person. never did any drugs or alcohol or smoked or anything like that. Had my first computer at 11 years old and have been obsessed with them since. Love legos and everything else like them. Lifegaurded for two years also.

THen i got into college and got lazy, grades slipped, and discovered alcohol.

Anywyas, i still like lacrosse and comptuers.... have a love for cars now, and don't have my legos anymore. I miss them. I am lazy and unmotivated, and have a job where i sit in a cubicle for 9 hours a day doing absolutely nothing. *shrug*

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
My mistakes, much more than any of my successes, have shaped who I am.

Luckily, in most cases, certain mistakes have helped me make correct decisions later, not the least of which was figuring out what was most important in the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

The hardest part was taking an honest look at myself and the type of person I was then, and admitting to myself that I was a lousy bastard in many ways.

I feel foolish most of all when I repeat mistakes, because only complete imbeciles repeat their idiocy over and over.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Okay, to tell a story: hmm, what shall I write? So many things... when my little sisters (twins, 7 yrs now) were born, seeing my mom graduate from college, running around like an insane junior higher while playing sardines on campus at midnight (well, that was last week), so many to pick from. Joining a high school church youth group was a shaping factor in my personality - finding people I trusted and who considered me valuable as a friend. So many wacky memories, like freeway snowball fights between cars on the way back from a ski trip, learning to hammer decently under the tutorial of an otherwise-class-clown on a sweltering mission trip to Mexico, saying goodbye to everyone right before leaving for college, which entailed standing up and singing a verse and chorus of the song of your choice. I love those guys, miss them all. A few more weeks and home again. :)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I am where I am today because of Sesame Street. So to Sesame Street, Thank You! :cry;

EDIT: Whoops, don't want to forget all the other great PBS television shows like Reading Rainbow and 3-2-1 Contact. :D I applaud your excellence.

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
when my little sisters (twins, 7 yrs now
when your little sisters...???
missing a bit there, HC

NOTE: and no, I'm pretty sure they aren't the Olsen twins, you pervos!

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
I had a hard childhood, parents divorced. I have a half brother, we both got regular beatings as a child for miniskewl things. I had good times also, my escapes were places i'd go to, the animals i had as pets helped me get thru it. I live each day now to its fullest, live the way i want to not the way someone wants me too. I charish the little things among the big things. I listen to people and do my best to help them.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Whoops, thanks. I'm missing quite a bit, here and there, but I'd think I can complete a sentence. Pshft, I guess not. :)

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
one of my freinds had a green day shirt when i was in 7th grade. so never having heard any of there songs before or even knowing who they were (never listened to the radio, didnt have cable- no MTV)... i bought the dookie CD becuase i figured it had to be good.

they instantly became my favorite band and still are to this day. That cd has been never not been in my cd changer in my car.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
My story, huh? Well, I had a good childhood. My parents love me and we are very close. I've had to deal with a lot of health problems. I had to fight cancer when I was a teenager and I believe it made me a much stronger person. I still struggle with trials in my life, but I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm also still trying to figure out what I really want to be when I *grow up*. ;) I suppose the saying is correct.... "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: hzl_eyed_grl
My story, huh? Well, I had a good childhood. My parents love me and we are very close. I've had to deal with a lot of health problems. I had to fight cancer when I was a teenager and I believe it made me a much stronger person. I still struggle with trials in my life, but I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm also still trying to figure out what I really want to be when I *grow up*. ;) I suppose the saying is correct.... "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Interesting what you find out about people. I have rheumatoid arthritis. But to look at all the bad things is boring and to talk about all the good things sounds like bragging. I love to read, I'll read anything, if I don't like it I'll read it twice. I don't like watching movies much anymore, I get the feeling I'm emptying my brain into some numbing machine, but some are good. I want to get a position as an intern for a literary agency this summer, I think I'll get it. Yay! Keep posting guys.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
I haven't the time, but maybe later in the week I can write a 5 page summary :)

Sweet! Let's see how long we can keep this going, dump little insignificant facts about yourself into it and build a picture.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
You're right Paige, it is very interesting reading threads like these and learning things about people you've known for a while. I talked to my dad yesterday and he's going to *try* to take a day off next month to come get me. I'll let you know if/when I'm up in the area.

More facts about me......

If I could choose any profession and be successful, I would probably be a singer. I love to sing and I love music. (Not saying I sing great....I just like to. ;) Heehee) Ummmm I would some day like to get married and have 2 or 3 kids. lol I'm an only child and ALWAYS wanted a brother or sister, so I don't want to have just one child and have him/her be lonely. :)

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Happy:
* My newborn daughter's hand curling around my finger just minutes after she was born.
* Seeing my wife for the first time in her wedding dress.
* Crying (from happiness, you dorks) with my wife on our wedding night.
* My grandfather and grandmother, who are gone either mentally or physically now.
* When our family used to watch our Super8 home movies together. The smells: popcorn, metallic tang of the screen, burning smell of the projector bulb.
* The way my sister and I were close when we were little kids.

Sad:
* When every one of my pets died (we lived on a major highway, and they got hit all the time).
* The day an infant died in a car accident in our yard (same highway).
* Saying "Those things'll kill ya" to my uncle as he was getting a pack of cigarettes out of a cupboard, who then said "They're not for me." Which meant they were for my aunt, who was dying of cancer at the time.
* Telling the two kids whose parents were friends with my parents that Santa Claus wasn't real.
* The moment I realized my father has zero respect for me or anything I do.
* Seeing one of my best friends at her wedding, and realizing the possibility I'd never seen between the two of us, right in front of me the whole time.

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
I want to get a position as an intern for a literary agency this summer.
Dear Lord...you aren't an English major by chance, are you?