News Teens in Make America Great Again hats taunted a Native American elder at the Lincoln Memorial

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Check the link above and watch through the video, the pic alone is much more shocking than the reality of what it seemed to be. Again context seems to be everything.

So the picture came from a 2012 video and the black outfits and body paint were explained by snopes. So these kids in the incident were still in grade school when that picture was taken.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If I thought it was racism, obvious or otherwise, I would say so.
Hmmm I guess I see here why you don't find it racist and take the "Pro-blackface side." Some reading may do you good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
Through the 1930s, many well-known entertainers of stage and screen also performed in blackface.[41] Whites who performed in blackface in film included Al Jolson,[42] Eddie Cantor,[43] Bing Crosby,[42] Fred Astaire, Buster Keaton, Joan Crawford, Irene Dunne, Doris Day, Milton Berle, William Holden, Marion Davies, Myrna Loy, Betty Grable, Dennis Morgan, Laurel and Hardy, Betty Hutton, The Three Stooges, Mickey Rooney, Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Donald O'Connor and Chester Morris and George E. Stone in Boston Blackie's Rendezvous.[43] As late as the 1940s, Warner Bros. used blackface in a minstrel show sketch in This Is the Army (1943) and by casting Flora Robson as a Haitian maid in Saratoga Trunk (1945).[44]

In the early years of film, black characters were routinely played by whites in blackface. In the first filmic adaptation of Uncle Tom's Cabin (1903), all of the major black roles were whites in blackface.[45] Even the 1914 Uncle Tom starring African-American actor Sam Lucas in the title role had a white male in blackface as Topsy.[46] D. W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation (1915) used whites in blackface to represent all of its major black characters,[47] but reaction against the film's racism largely put an end to this practice in dramatic film roles. Thereafter, whites in blackface would appear almost exclusively in broad comedies or "ventriloquizing" blackness[48] in the context of a vaudeville or minstrel performance within a film.[49] This stands in contrast to made-up whites routinely playing Native Americans, Asians, Arabs, and so forth, for several more decades.[50]

Blackface makeup was largely eliminated even from live film comedy in the U.S. after the end of the 1930s, when public sensibilities regarding race began to change and blackface became increasingly associated with racism and bigotry.[43] Still, the tradition did not end all at once. The radio program Amos 'n' Andy (1928–60) constituted a type of "aural blackface", in that the black characters were portrayed by whites and conformed to stage blackface stereotypes.[51] The conventions of blackface also lived on unmodified at least into the 1950s in animated theatrical cartoons. Strausbaugh estimates that roughly one-third of late 1940s MGM cartoons "included a blackface, my excellent compatriot, or mammy figure."[52] Bugs Bunny appeared in blackface at least as late as Southern Fried Rabbit in 1953.[53]

U.S. cartoons from the 1930s and 1940s often featured characters in blackface gags as well as other racial and ethnic caricatures. Blackface was one of the influences in the development of characters such as Mickey Mouse.[85] The United Artists 1933 release "Mickey's Mellerdrammer" – the name a corruption of "melodrama" thought to harken back to the earliest minstrel shows – was a film short based on a production of Uncle Tom's Cabin by the Disney characters. Mickey, of course, was already black, but the advertising poster for the film shows Mickey with exaggerated, orange lips; bushy, white sidewhiskers; and his now trademark white gloves.[86]

Reproduction of an old tin sign advertising Picaninny Freeze, a frozen treat (1922)

In the U.S., by the 1950s, the NAACP had begun calling attention to such portrayals of African Americans and mounted a campaign to put an end to blackface performances and depictions. For decades, darky images had been seen in the branding of everyday products and commodities such as Picaninny Freeze, the my excellent compatriot Chicken Inn[87] restaurant chain, and great person Hair Tobacco. With the eventual successes of the modern day Civil Rights Movement, such blatantly racist branding practices ended in the U.S., and blackface became an American taboo.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Flaw in your answer, I never called for the kid to be attacked.

In case you are not aware of history those kids ancestors did steal Native American land. Guess what one of the kids responded with, "oh well, lands gets stolen that's the way it works."

Maybe the school needs to work on its own inherent racism before lecturing others.

Wait - so you know the ancestry of all of these white kids. You’re making a lot of assumptions in this thread and very little if anything to back them up.

Reactions: Bitek

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Reactions: DarthKyrie

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Flaw in your answer, I never called for the kid to be attacked.

In case you are not aware of history those kids ancestors did steal Native American land. Guess what one of the kids responded with, "oh well, lands gets stolen that's the way it works."

Maybe the school needs to work on its own inherent racism before lecturing others.

Are you retarded? Unless you're fuckin African and live in Africa you aren't native of shit. "Native Americans" are either of asian or European ancestry. You can take your flat earther shit and shove it up your ass. By that bullshit reasoning the first man to walk on the moon is a fucking moonie.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wait - so you know the ancestry of all of these white kids. You’re making a lot of assumptions in this thread and very little if anything to back them up.
What I know is the land here was occupied by Native Americans. I also know my ancestors didn't take it from them because they are black. Yes I don't know if all their ancestors came from Europe but both sides understood the position of the other. That's why the kid responded sort of like, "sucks to be you that your land was stolen"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Are you retarded? Unless you're fuckin African and live in Africa you aren't native of shit. "Native Americans" are either of asian or European ancestry. You can take your flat earther shit and shove it up your ass. By that bullshit reasoning the first man to walk on the moon is a fucking moonie.
That's funny, I thought when the first Europeans arrived in North America there were people already here. Do they count??

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Heard on the way to work this morning

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/21/6870...to-shows-students-mocking-native-american-man

GREENE: It looked in the video like these students started surrounding you after you approached them. And I'm wondering if - like, why you decided to walk up to them and actually, it looked like, face them, you know, not face these other protesters, the Black Hebrew Israelites, but face these students from Kentucky. I'm wondering what was happening in the moment.​
PHILLIPS: I was - well, I guess maybe it was a way of protecting them.​
GREENE: You felt you were protecting the black Hebrew Israelites from these - these students from Kentucky.​
PHILLIPS: Well, see, that wasn't so much that I was protecting anybody. But I was coming between something that I had been witnessing, you know, on the news, in - on the Facebook - racism - because you got to understand, I came from an indigenous peoples gathering. And it was full of prayer, full of promise of a better tomorrow. You know, that's - that was the message we was putting out.​
GREENE: I want to be so careful with what you're saying.​
PHILLIPS: Yes, yes.​
GREENE: And forgive me for - for just really being - being very careful. You said you had seen things on the news. Are you saying that based on a lot of what has happened in our country recently, you were under the impression or making an assumption that a large group of young, white men might threaten a minority, who you saw, and that you saw this group of black Israel - Hebrew Israelites as potentially in danger by this large group of white men, based on what you had seen in the news in our country in recent months and years?​
What utter bullshit :rolleyes:

It's utter bullshit from you, cutting off the story at that particular point. I encourage everybody to read the whole piece you linked.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It's utter bullshit from you, cutting off the story at that particular point. I encourage everybody to read the whole piece you linked.

I mean after the leading on by the interviewer it’s not getting much better

PHILLIPS: Yes. Thank you for that clarity because that's that's what it was, in my mind and in my heart - because when I seen those - those young men, I was seeing their faces. And the thing is is that those young men could have chose to not feed into those guys, those Israelite fellers. They could have chose the - the students' teachers, the students' chaperones could have instructed those students to exit that area, that this wasn't something that they needed to bring their high schools into and be involved in.​
GREENE: Can I - can I ask a question this way? How much of what you were feeling was based on an assumption that a large group of young white men were outnumbering a small group of black protesters, and assuming that this could be very tense and there could be racism? And how much of it was about things you were actually hearing in this moment?​
PHILLIPS: Well, the thing is - yeah. The thing is that there was no assumption that there was a large group. There was a large group. And it was only four black men. So there - there's no assumption there.​
GREENE: The young man who was standing in front of you has identified himself in a statement as Nick Sandmann. And, you know, he said that he was intimidated by these other protesters you're talking about. He said that - that he never felt like he was blocking you. He said that, you didn't make any attempt to go around me, is the way he put it. And he said, quote - and this is about you - "it was clear to me that he had singled me out for a confrontation, although I'm not sure why." What do you - what do you make of that?​
PHILLIPS: A young man trying to alter his story to make himself look good, maybe. I don't know. It's just...​

Reactions: Bitek

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Too easy

Official-Donald-trump-Make-America-Great-Again-Hat---Red---Crop_900x900.jpg
This is hysteria. Rooted in fear and devoid of logic.
You've convinced yourself's that Trump is an emperor, that his mindless minions are running wild across the country side burning and pillaging. So you do the obvious thing, provoke them at every opportunity then shout from the rooftops when they react.
This country really might be to stupid to survive.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
And I still don’t understand why the kid would be smirking when he has someone beating a drum in his face. What was the smirk supposed to represent?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And I still don’t understand why the kid would be smirking when he has someone beating a drum in his face. What was the smirk supposed to represent?

Represents a kid that didn’t know how to react to a guy who walked up to him and started beating a drum inches from his face. I think you’re overthinking this.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I saw it in one of the clips, but I interpreted it as more like "All land everywhere has been stolen at some point" than "Haha we stole your land, deal with it."

Last edited:
Reactions: lsd

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I saw it in one of the clips, but I interpreted it more as more like "All land everywhere has been stolen at some point" than "Haha we stole your land, deal with it."
This is more in line with what I recall seeing/hearing.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Nah I’d bet it was more geared toward the latter. That said kids are stupid, lots of kids together are even worse, and lots of kids together put into an awkward/uncomfortable/tense situation are even worse than that. They aren’t going to respond back by the textbook.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It represents whatever you project onto it to defend your assumptions about who is worthy of contempt. Remember, if you have joined in the feeding frenzy of condemnation of those kids, you will have no choice but to see malevolence, disdain and smirking contempt. I mean, what are you going to say to yourself, what a fuck headed irrational pecker-head I was to condemn based on such complete information. That would just fuck up your moral certainty and make you look like a conservative. Better to deny deny deny and counterattack.

I see on google some liberals have reversed their opinions on seeing more evidence. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Living up to your name I see.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is hysteria. Rooted in fear and devoid of logic.
You've convinced yourself's that Trump is an emperor, that his mindless minions are running wild across the country side burning and pillaging. So you do the obvious thing, provoke them at every opportunity then shout from the rooftops when they react.
This country really might be to stupid to survive.

Minions aren't always violent. Would you prefer loyal serfs to a feudal lord? Whatever they are they are they love him even when he does evil. Hell, Rudy is out there talking about his tombstone saying "I lied for Trump", the Chief liar, and MAGA people eat it up with Orwellian thinking. Trump an emperor? Would be, yes and part way there. Someone above the law crushing the people to get what he wants and damn nation. If the Founders were alive they would be chasing him down with a noose, but they were hysterical.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm I guess I see here why you don't find it racist and take the "Pro-blackface side." Some reading may do you good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

What do you believe you just did?

Blackface requires someone to caricature and or pretend to be black. As explained by snopes, the kids were wearing all back for a "blackout game"

"Based on comments in the BluegrassPreps message board, the intent of the black body paint was not racial but was instead a school tradition related to “black out” games, during which fans wore black to support the team."

So, not obvious Blackface, and not obvious racism.

Do you want to go back and talk about how you wanted to punch a 16yo kid because of a video that showed him smirking to a vet that walked up to his face and started beating a drum less than a foot away?