Teenager shot dead after playing loud music

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
All I can say is, if he really is telling the complete truth about what happened... that is one unlucky son of a bitch.

Imagine spending the rest of your life in jail because some little thugs threatened your life and you reacted legally to it... but due to having a shitty prosecutor (Angela Corey) with no morals, who is already sweating the Trayvon case falling apart on her... and a nation that is infected with stupid PC bullshit, right and wrong are flipped and thugs become innocent victims, and normal citizens defending themselves become TEH RACIST MURDERING MONSTERS!!!! OMG!!!

Mind you, as I've always said, if he's NOT telling the truth, if he unloaded on these guys for no good reason... he's a piece of shit and not only belongs in prison for life, but I'd just execute him frankly.

I just have some strong doubts that he's guilty. He may be.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
All I can say is, if he really is telling the complete truth about what happened... that is one unlucky son of a bitch.

Imagine spending the rest of your life in jail because some little thugs threatened your life and you reacted legally to it... but due to having a shitty prosecutor (Angela Corey) with no morals, who is already sweating the Trayvon case falling apart on her... and a nation that is infected with stupid PC bullshit, right and wrong are flipped and thugs become innocent victims, and normal citizens defending themselves become TEH RACIST MURDERING MONSTERS!!!! OMG!!!

Mind you, as I've always said, if he's NOT telling the truth, if he unloaded on these guys for no good reason... he's a piece of shit and not only belongs in prison for life, but I'd just execute him frankly.

All he "needs" is a S***Load of evidence in his favor, as he has ZERO as it now stands.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Others have the sympathy for Davis and co. covered... Believe it or not I do feel for them. Particularly Davis' mother who, in interviews, strikes me as genuine, heartfelt, kind, intelligent, and not completely vengeance minded as many of us would be in her situation. She has my utmost sympathy.

Trayvon's mom had it too at first but lost it through cynical and manipulative behavior.

And yes even black teen males are prejudiced against other black teen males and weary of them. It pays to be if you value your life.

Apr 17, 2003

everyone accused of a crime has some sort of story as a defense...it would be "unlucky" for anyone whose defense is truthful to go to jail, but that's the nature of the criminal justice system. But if a jury of your peers believe you committed the crime in question beyond a reasonable doubt, then it is what it is. This case is no different.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
fact is, EVERYBODY is prejudiced towards black teenagers. even you. you just don't know it yet.

Still can't tell if you're a troll or an idiot.

Don't know it yet? I walk by black teenagers every day. Guess what, it's not an issue.

I've actually had only issues with bigoted white males not a single black person yet.

herrjimbo

Aug 21, 2001
Still can't tell if you're a troll or an idiot.

Don't know it yet? I walk by black teenagers every day. Guess what, it's not an issue.

I've actually had only issues with bigoted white males not a single black person yet.

well, enjoy your lifestyle then.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Okay JoS... let's break down every claim where I proved you wrong shall we?

1) I stated that alcohol spikes testosterone levels in both men and women. You said that statement was incorrect, but only decreases in men. I countered with it increases for a time immediately after drinking and the extra testosterone is then aromatased into estrogen.

I posted one link to prove this and here is another.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12711931

2) You stated that in the average day the testosterone level of a given male could range over 3,000%. I countered that was full of shit. That healthy levels of male testosterone levels range from 300 mg/dl to 1,000 mg/dl. I posted one medical publication on this earlier that as well as the livestrong site that stated that the average daily change in testosterone levels was 10%. 10% is a FARCRY from 3000% as you claim.

But here is another one for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19088162

Even at most the monthly variations range up to 28%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1117056

3) I stated that it does not take much of a chance of testosterone levels to make an effect on the human body. You said that it takes a vast change of some ungodly amount to do that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12915643

Even a small rapid dosage of testosterone will prevent sleep in people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7526746

a short term effect of being dosed with increased testosterone stops the testosterone secretion from male genitalia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14567011

In men and women, increased testosterone levels of any sort increase libido and and desire for sexual activity. There is also indication of increased spatial memory. However, several areas of the test were inconclusive here and a larger scale and more indepth study is under design.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16769178

A short term effect of a dosage of a sublingual does decrease empathy in people immediately afterward.

There are others that deal with the short term effects of changes to testosterone levels, but I'm not going to post them all. Suffice it to say, when testosterone levels change, the body reacts accordingly. In men, a secretion of testosterone from the genitalia happens about once every 7 hours.

4) You claimed with a large enough dose that one would "riod rage" and I stated that is not proven and is based on other conditions within a given person if they will "rage" when a large dose of testosterone is given.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8855834

This study used a double-blind, placebo-controlled design, excluded competitive athletes and those with psychiatric disorders.

Supraphysiological doses of testosterone, when administered to normal men in a controlled setting, do not increase angry behavior. These data do not exclude the possibility that still higher doses of multiple steroids might provoke angry behavior in men with preexisting psychopathology.

However, there are a few studies that show people with the predisposition to "rage" will do so when given a large dose.

Now, are you going to state that these medical publications for the National Center for Biotechnology Information are not peer-reviewed documents conducted with placebo testing and double blind results?

On all 4 points I made claims on or corrected you on, you have been proven FALSE. Have a nice day.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

All I can say is, if Dunn isn't telling the truth, Jordan Davis is one unlucky son of a bitch.

Because he's dead.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
As far as this case goes. We still don't have enough evidence to make a reasonable determination either way.

All we can do is speculate a logical set of actions based upon a set of presumptions for a given side.

Since either side must be fraught with presumptions, there just isn't anyway for the public to determine guilt or innocence yet.

All I can say is wait and see people. A few months from now more evidence will come out that will dispel certain assumptions people are making now.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
HumblePie, my hat is off to you for your impressive destruction of JoS's BS.

Well done.

I find it hard to believe he didn't know he was full of shit as he typed "3000%" etc.

Then again I've recently seen the proof in another thread that JoS is nothing but a constant liar in every regard.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
As far as this case goes. We still don't have enough evidence to make a reasonable determination either way.

All we can do is speculate a logical set of actions based upon a set of presumptions for a given side.

Since either side must be fraught with presumptions, there just isn't anyway for the public to determine guilt or innocence yet.

All I can say is wait and see people. A few months from now more evidence will come out that will dispel certain assumptions people are making now.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A grand jury has indicted a 45-year-old Florida man on a first-degree murder charge in the death of a teenager following an argument over loud music coming from the teen's car.

Michael David Dunn was initially charged with second-degree murder.
Grand jurors also added three counts of attempted murder.

Dunn is accused of the Nov. 23 shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Jacksonville gas station.

Officials say Dunn parked next to the vehicle where Davis was sitting with three other teens. Dunn complained about the loud music and they started arguing. Dunn told police he thought he saw a gun and fired eight or nine shots into the vehicle because he felt threatened.

Dunn and his girlfriend, who was inside the gas station during the shooting, drove away from the scene, police said. The 45-year-old had reportedly been driving to a hotel from his son's wedding when he stopped at the gas station.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess the Grand Jury thinks there is enough evidence to charge him with first degree murder and three more counts of attempted murder.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well, I guess the Grand Jury thinks there is enough evidence to charge him with first degree murder and three more counts of attempted murder.

Already posted earlier and known about the grand jury. That is not the same thing either. If you read on the Zimmerman case, the original DA Wolfhinger (or whatever is name is) didn't want to even arrest Zimmerman at all because he was afraid it would end up at the grand jury and they would vote to charge for 1st degree. And if they did, he would have to go for that conviction which he knew wouldn't stand. And the reason he thought they would vote that way is because of several recent cases in Florida that went to a grand jury, voted to go for first degree murder, and the defendants were found innocent.

Basically the grand jury voting hasn't been very good indicator of guilt lately.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
HumblePie said:

I haven't read this thread in awhile and I don't know what you two are arguing about but some of your points aren't exactly backed up by the studies. Number 3 for example, not only would elderly men be much more sensitive to exogenous androgens, but even 250mg injections of a longer ester is going to raise blood concentration to supraphysiological levels in young men. That is indeed a large amount relative to what the body produces.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Attorn...oting/-/475880/17802070/-/knpt9t/-/index.html

The new attorney for Dunn AND the attorney for the families all state the kids now left the scene AFTER Dunn left and came back before police arrived.

The pre-trial hearing just held the Dunn's attorney entered a not guilty plea and cited that the kids had time to dump any weapon, or weapon like object they may have had before police arrived.

Also Mr. Strolla claims that the kids were attempting to get out of the car before Dunn went for his gun.

"The evidence will show, and what we believe we're going to show, that these gentlemen in the car not only gave verbal threats of death, but were attempting to get out of the car to attack Mr. Dunn. That's when he fired the shots," Strolla said.

Which if he is making that claim, there must be eye witness testimony to back that up, or CCTV.

The problem is that there hasn't been much mention of CCTV in this case. One news report I read said there wasn't any CCTV. Which, if true, is very damn odd for a busy gas station to not have CCTV. I thought they all had that if only to catch people who pump and run.

Last edited:

Quakester

Oct 10, 1999
For all the people asking is loud music worth killing over...

The real question is...is it worth dying for?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Attorn...oting/-/475880/17802070/-/knpt9t/-/index.html

The new attorney for Dunn AND the attorney for the families all state the kids now left the scene AFTER Dunn left and came back before police arrived.

The pre-trial hearing just held the Dunn's attorney entered a not guilty plea and cited that the kids had time to dump any weapon, or weapon like object they may have had before police arrived.

Also Mr. Strolla claims that the kids were attempting to get out of the car before Dunn went for his gun.

Which if he is making that claim, there must be eye witness testimony to back that up, or CCTV.

The problem is that there hasn't been much mention of CCTV in this case. One news report I read said there wasn't any CCTV. Which, if true, is very damn odd for a busy gas station to not have CCTV. I thought they all had that if only to catch people who pump and run.

What else do you expect Dunn to say, he's accused of muder. Without the weapon or video or witness proof, he's screwed.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
What else do you expect Dunn to say, he's accused of muder. Without the weapon or video or witness proof, he's screwed.

Umm, his attorney says there is proof of both the teens leaving/returning, as well as attempting to exit their car before Dunn started shooting. We'll see once the evidence discovery starts. Hopefully it won't be like the Zimmerman case where it takes over a year before the defense gets to see any real evidence.

Monkeywrench

Feb 2, 2006

"John M. Phillips, the attorney for the Davis family, also confirmed he's heard the SUV left the scene."

He never said it left, only that he had heard it left.