Teen gets branded a felon for life for robbing man of 7 cents

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
heh those saying its harsh are nuts.

Stewart and Ninham carried BB guns that looked like real pistols when they knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--and took all the cash he had on him, prosecutors said. That amounted to 7 cents."

ok they had guns and knocked a 73 yr old to the ground and punching him in the face.

I don't care what color they are. i don't care how much they took. i don't care how old they are.

If he gets branded as a FELON for life that is fien with me.

"

not defending his actions but after he pays his dues for what he did why shouldn't he get a fair shot to be productive in society? Do you think giving up on someone the first time they screw up(probably in some limited cases rape/child abuse/murder etc) is helpful to society long term?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
not defending his actions but after he pays his dues for what he did why shouldn't he get a fair shot to be productive in society? Do you think giving up on someone the first time they screw up(probably in some limited cases rape/child abuse/murder etc) is helpful to society long term?

It would be terrible to keep him locked up forever over this one thing, but it's fair to label him as a felon. He committed a felony by attacking someone, therefore he is a felon and it should be on his record. He will have his second chance when he gets out of prison.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i bet the sentence would be nowhere near as stiff if he was white

Do you know what a felony is and how it's treated? The first definition is mandatory 1 year in jail. The crime commited was armed robbery and assault - that's an automatic felony. There's little to no room to change that fact.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Do you know what a felony is and how it's treated? The first definition is mandatory 1 year in jail. The crime commited was armed robbery and assault - that's an automatic felony. There's little to no room to change that fact.

Come on now. Everyone viciously attacks another random person at some point in their life. Why do we all gotta be labeled as criminals, yo? Why you gotta be like that?

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
It would be terrible to keep him locked up forever over this one thing, but it's fair to label him as a felon. He committed a felony by attacking someone, therefore he is a felon and it should be on his record. He will have his second chance when he gets out of prison.

Its pretty well known that felons and ex-cons are discriminated against (especially regarding employment) disallowing them many of the same opportunities others have. It in effect destroys any chance they have.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Its pretty well known that felons and ex-cons are discriminated against (especially regarding employment) disallowing them many of the same opportunities others have. It in effect destroys any chance they have.

Then your beef is with the system in general, not this case. This is a clear cut case where a guy attacked someone and it goes on his record.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Then your beef is with the system in general, not this case. This is a clear cut case where a guy attacked someone and it goes on his record.

That was clear from my post that you quoted:
Do you think giving up on someone the first time they screw up(probably in some limited cases rape/child abuse/murder etc) is helpful to society long term?

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
So what? Until we run out of non-felons that can take those jobs they'll have to deal. There is subtle discrimination amongst all walks in society.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
So what? Until we run out of non-felons that can take those jobs they'll have to deal. There is subtle discrimination amongst all walks in society.

Its hardly subtle! There is a specific section on every job application to declare it! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So you think it is good for society to have all these people that can never really be productive that is fine you are entitled to that opinion. I don't think it is helpful for society because these people inevitably turn to crime when they have no other choice. Hence we have the largest jail population in the world with the highest recidivism rates. All of that weighs on taxpayers wallets. I'd much rather someone get back into the workforce and be a law abiding tax paying citizen. That would make too much sense though I guess.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
i bet the sentence would be nowhere near as stiff if he was white

Ya I think your right. At least were I live . In my village a sickly man from boyhood wheelchair . has been dealing HARD drugs for 40 years . Finely got caught. Wheelchair kept him from prison. He decided to run for mayor. After watching him work in the community I thought I seen a change so I voted for him . I only vote local elections now . Because of shame of voting for Bush not 1 time but both.

Well it turns out the community work he was doing was community court ordered . The village cop new this yet withheld the info. 2 more crimes. 1 by him and 1 by the cop.MN state attorney is aware of this. As is county attorney yet the election fraud goes unchallenged. He is a DEM . I should give this info to the Rep.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Come on now. Everyone viciously attacks another random person at some point in their life. Why do we all gotta be labeled as criminals, yo? Why you gotta be like that?

No, not everyone does. So those that do, there's no limit on their punishment. Torture, tar and feather, rape, mutilate, blind. Or you're on their side if you disagree.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
You sound more worried about the criminal than the actual victim, who was a 70 year old man who got beat down and robbed by a 15 year old thug. The little bastard is lucky if he just gets 2 years in juvenile detention. If he is smart he will wise up, if he is a dumbass then he will just end right back in prison.

If that 70 year old man was carrying a gun, and shot that little punk ass thug in the face that tried to rob him, I bet you would be crying foul too wouldn't you? In many States this would be possible.

I'm not talking about anything on a personal basis. Our justice system is broken and corrupt. That's undeniable. Praising a broken system is a contradiction. You praise the judgement as if it's far and things worked correctly but that's hardly the case.

If he was white and had more money or an affluent family, the charges would likely be buried.

But thanks for quote posting and responding to everything I touched on in my post. Take it easy.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It seems a bit harsh for a kid. Kid's do stupid ass shit, it's why their punishments tend not to be as stiff then if they were adults. Their minds are still developing and the better judgement part doesn't really start kicking in until some time in the 20's. That's not to say he should get off scott free, he shouldn't. But to give him a criminal record for the rest of his life is more or less going to make it impossible for him to ever earn an honest buck until the day he dies as that question is on every application. In an employer's economy like this, he wouldn't be able to get a Mcdonalds job flipping burgers. I just fear even if he learns his lesson, he'll be living off the state. About your only two options when you can't get an honest job are to live off food stamps in poverty or sink even deeper into crime and end up in a state prison.
This is EVIL shit, not STUPID shit. Big difference.