Teen gets branded a felon for life for robbing man of 7 cents

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Story = http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teen-gets-branded-felon-life-robbing-man-7-200811947.html

Stewart's lawyer, Laurin Haddad, had pleaded with Walsh to treat her client as a youthful offender, so that a felony conviction wouldn't remain on his permanent record.
"For 7 cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told the Post-Standard.

Wrong!!! Het gets branded as a felon because of his act, assault an innocent 73 years old man

knocked a 73-year old man to the ground--Stewart punching him in the face--and took all the cash
and because...
Stewart declined to plead guilty, choosing to fight the charges. A jury found him guilty of first degree robbery.

Keeps it real goes wrong.

The comments below the story are interesting. Of course someone would blame "racist/da man/ect. and on and on" instead of the perpertrator(s) and their action.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Like this kid was going places. I love that line of thinking. Beating up an old man for 7 cents. Clearly this guy is a scholar if only he didnt have a felony on his record.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I wonder how those asshats who are saying this kid's punishment was too harsh would feel if that was their grandfather who was assaulted and robbed by this thug....

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Commit the crime, face the consequences. Don't whine later when you don't like the consequences.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
God damn disgusting how the author of that article writes it to generate sympathy for someone punched a 73 year old man in the face when robbing him at gunpoint...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yeah... like he just picked up 7 cents and was branded a felon. Love the bias in that headline.

To say nothing of the weapons and the assault. What kind of intent is there in creating such omissions? Media openly supports the criminal and his crime?

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Yup, I saw this story a few days ago and thought the same thing. It's not like the kid knew the old man only had 7 cents on him when he decided to rob him.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Kid needs to take a long walk off a short cliff

There is no such thing as a short cliff. There are only steep (tall) cliffs . . . it's what makes them cliffs! For instance, a curb has cliff-like properties save the height, but it is not a cliff.

Were you wishing a possible twisted ankle on this despicable young man? :p

The phrase you were reaching for is, "Long walk off a short pier."

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's 1st degree robbery by definition and as such a felony. Don't want to a felon for life? Don't commit felonious crimes. You rob somebody at gun point it's an automatic felony.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There is no such thing as a short cliff. There are only steep (tall) cliffs . . . it's what makes them cliffs! For instance, a curb has cliff-like properties save the height, but it is not a cliff.

Yep, that's a horse of a different feather :p

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
In this case I side with the Prosecution and the Judge, the punishment fits the crime.

It does not matter whether 7 cents, 7 dollars or 73 dollars.

Assault & Robbery is Assault & Robbery /thread

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I don't think the issue here is the kid getting labeled a felon... it is the turd wipe who wrote the article saying the teen is being branded a felon for stealing 7 cents. WTF... why not the headline.. "teen is charged for assault and robbery on 73 year old man and will now have a lifetime felony record."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't think the issue here is the kid getting labeled a felon... it is the turd wipe who wrote the article saying the teen is being branded a felon for stealing 7 cents. WTF... why not the headline.. "teen is charged for assault and robbery on 73 year old man and will now have a lifetime felony record."

Maybe that headline doesn't generate revenue. If media lives off sensationalism then we now have context for why they put up the 7cent headline.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
sounds like it is his fault for making his felony only worth 7 cents. Can't go around beating and robbing peop,e no matter how small or big the take is. Lol at the idiots defending the dipshit.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I was on a jury and sent a dirtbag to prison for life (3rd strike) for armed robbery. He stole $8.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I too measure out punishment based on the amount of money gained during any felony.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Robbery isnt just about the money. If the old man had $7300 on him I doubt only 7 cents would have been taken.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I witnessed two drunk people try and walk out of walmart with a few pounds of steak. They were stopped by the greeter who they proceeded to attack. That made petty larceny to not just robbery but aggravated robbery(greeter was over a certain age). All over $15 worth of meat. What I am saying is dollar value doesn't matter. Robbery is robbery. If you, use force to deprive someone of their property is robbery and its a serious felony.

Kid shouldn't have committed the robbery if he didn't want to be a convicted felon. Kid was given an opportunity to plead guilty for what would have probably been leniency. Then he did not to take responsibility for his actions and fought the charges for something he clearly did. He made the choice to rob an elderly person. He made the choice to not take responsibility for his actions. He made the choice to be branded a felon.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I witnessed two drunk people try and walk out of walmart with a few pounds of steak. They were stopped by the greeter who they proceeded to attack. That made petty larceny to not just robbery but aggravated robbery(greeter was over a certain age). All over $15 worth of meat. What I am saying is dollar value doesn't matter. Robbery is robbery. If you, use force to deprive someone of their property is robbery and its a serious felony.

Kid shouldn't have committed the robbery if he didn't want to be a convicted felon. Kid was given an opportunity to plead guilty for what would have probably been leniency. Then he did not to take responsibility for his actions and fought the charges for something he clearly did. He made the choice to rob an elderly person. He made the choice to not take responsibility for his actions. He made the choice to be branded a felon.
Well said. Personally I'd say someone willing to assault and rob an old man for 7 cents is clearly a great threat to society, as well as too stupid to be free. (I'd like to say too stupid to live - but I won't. But I'd like to.)

Well . . . Maybe it's a short cliff with sharp, pointy rocks at the bottom. Or hungry sharks. Or sharp, pointy hungry sharks. With rocks. And pointy sticks.

:D

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The victim had identified Stewart and a friend as the perpetrators, Walsh said, "and yet you still denied it," the Post-Standard newspaper of Syracuse reported.
"Well, that cost you," Walsh added.
I don't think a judge should be punishing someone for asking for their day in court. It is not a crime to fight the charges against you, it's your right. The judge should be disciplined.