[Techspot] BAD, BAD APU AMD A12-9800 Review: Infecting The AM4 Platform

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see no real need for 6c or 8c Raven Ridge. 4c/8t is already quite powerful for an APU, especially compared to "current-gen" APU products. An updated Raven Ridge on 7nm HP would be fantastic.

If your competition is offering 6 cores with IGP, there is a need for it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
No, there really isn't.

Intel's 6c/12t parts are $400 offerings in competition with 8c/16t Summit Ridge. On a cost basis, Raven Ridge will probably be a $150-$200 part, tops. Compare that to what Intel will offer at the same price range. A 4c/8t i3 with weaker iGPU and better CPU cores, maybe? Their i5s will be out of that price range.

There's no need for high core count on the APUs; that's what the flagship R7 parts are for in the present and future. Its expected that they'll be paired with dGPUs.

There may be a need for higher core count products with an iGPU for office/productivity and workstation use where a dGPU may be completely unnecessary, though I think the Pro line should fill that gap. On the consumer side, AMD can show a lot of good, common sense by not wasting die space on an iGPU with their faster desktop/workstation CPUs were graphics performance will demand one or more dGPUs.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
I'd have to agree. For mobile (which is the where the bulk of volume is) 12 threads are superfluous.

Also, it should be possible to make MCM's with Zepplin dies plus P11 or a Vega die. For smaller volumes, I think much more cost effective.