[techreport] AMD not abandoning sockets

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Although i hope they abandon AM3+ its about time it died off, need some modern LGA goodness. I cant help but feel they've been shoehorning CPU's into this socket that would have been better if they had made a new platform completely.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Clearly I buy my motherboards based on whether it comes with a Socket or not. The way that the CPUs line up to the markers, pushing down the lever to lock it down. That's the only reason why I'd spend so much money on a desktop. :p

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
So Steamroller may make it to the FX line after all? All this information is confusing.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Clearly I buy my motherboards based on whether it comes with a Socket or not. The way that the CPUs line up to the markers, pushing down the lever to lock it down. That's the only reason why I'd spend so much money on a desktop. :p

I don't think I'd have been brave enough to swap out a Sempron 140 for an Athlon II x3 450 without the socket. I also doubt my kitchen oven is calibrated for soldering purposes.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
So Steamroller may make it to the FX line after all? All this information is confusing.
The road-map is all over the place but Steamroller and Excavator will happen.
Although i hope they abandon AM3+ its about time it died off, need some modern LGA goodness.
AM3+ will get killed off since there will only be tri-channel/quad-channel parts after Orochi dies.

Last edited:

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
The road-map is all over the place but Steamroller and Excavator will happen.AM3+ will get killed off since there will only be tri-channel/quad-channel parts after Orochi dies.

The important question really is, are Steamroller and Excavator happening in a timeframe that is relevant?

If Steamroller is 2013 and Excavator is 2014, then there is a chance the answer is yes.

If Steamroller is 2014 and Excavator is ... whenever ..., the answer is very likely no, unless Steamroller is a Conroe-sized improvement compared to Piledriver.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The important question really is, are Steamroller and Excavator happening in a timeframe that is relevant?

If Steamroller is 2013 and Excavator is 2014, then there is a chance the answer is yes.

If Steamroller is 2014 and Excavator is ... whenever ..., the answer is very likely no, unless Steamroller is a Conroe-sized improvement compared to Piledriver.

I can see some justification in waiting until 2014 if they move to DDR4. The APUs really need some more memory bandwidth to shine.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
A few interesting comments from Chris Hook.
That will continue through 2013 and 2014 with the "Kaveri" APU and FX CPU lines.
According to previous roadmaps, Vishera was the last performance desktop CPU; it was APU's only after that. So based on his statement that would mean:

1. Steamroller will come out in CPU form, or...
2. Vishera is the only performance desktop part through 2014.

If 1 is correct than that would tie in nicely with other rumors putting Steamroller on AM3+. If 2 is correct it means we won't see Steamroller on the desktop at all, or at least not until 2015.

Of course, seeing how Chris Hook is a marketing type, he may have no idea what he's saying.

Aug 11, 2008
I can see some justification in waiting until 2014 if they move to DDR4. The APUs really need some more memory bandwidth to shine.

That may be true, however, the longer it is delayed, the more it will have to compete with more power efficient and higher performance (hopefully) low/mid range discrete gpus. Since APUs tend to be a budget solution, you also have to be concerned about the cost of DDR4.

Personally on the desktop, I dont ever see APUs as more than a "jack of all trades, master of none" solution. In laptops and tablets, APUs are much more relevant, since power savings is critical and you can not easily add a discrete card.

Mar 6, 2012
That may be true, however, the longer it is delayed, the more it will have to compete with more power efficient and higher performance (hopefully) low/mid range discrete gpus. Since APUs tend to be a budget solution, you also have to be concerned about the cost of DDR4.

Personally on the desktop, I dont ever see APUs as more than a "jack of all trades, master of none" solution. In laptops and tablets, APUs are much more relevant, since power savings is critical and you can not easily add a discrete card.

For a budget cpu, which the apu really is, a "jack of all trades, master of none" isn't that bad of a position to hold. Plus they will hopefully help a little to drive the form factor down (Intel is the big pusher there though with the rapidly increasingly power efficient cpus).
DDR4 and the continued development of the gpus will make for good times for us who don't buy the enthusiast solutions. Seeing as gddr6 is supposed to launch in 2014 the gap between apu and discrete gpu might not shorten at all however.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

Right now AMD cannot even convince OEMs to pair their APUs with high speed DDR 3, what are the chances of them to getting OEM to pair APUs with expensive DDR4 in 2014, when they will be far below in the value ladder because of Broadwell?