Team Fortress 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I actually think the game is pretty darn balanced these days. I can play pretty much any class and do fine straight up. Except for Spy. I've always been and always will be a terrible Spy. I just don't have the patience for it.

KT

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I actually think the game is pretty darn balanced these days. I can play pretty much any class and do fine straight up. Except for Spy. I've always been and always will be a terrible Spy. I just don't have the patience for it.

KT

Spy is really dependent on so many external factors. Enemy team composition, the map, the objective, all have a greater effect on how effective a spy can be compared to other classes like soldier or demo who can be pretty much amazing no matter the external factors.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Spy is really dependent on so many external factors. Enemy team composition, the map, the objective, all have a greater effect on how effective a spy can be compared to other classes like soldier or demo who can be pretty much amazing no matter the external factors.

True. I have had some decent Spy days, but the conditions were perfect. Most of the time I play for about 15 minutes, then get annoyed and switch to a different class.

KT

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
True. I have had some decent Spy days, but the conditions were perfect. Most of the time I play for about 15 minutes, then get annoyed and switch to a different class.

KT
yep, once all sentries are down, not much point of being spy anymore.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006

The biggest factor is FF. In No FF servers, spies are borderline useless. Flamethrowers just flame every person they see around.

I don't know how it is anymore, but that's how it used to be. When FF was on, it was a great class. I would get so many backstabs and scores as the Spy. It's one of the only classes that can solo win the game besides a scout (Even then, scouts usually lose to turrets).

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Back in the old days, turrets were so OP that you couldn't get near them when they hit you. Their knockback would send you across the map.

I've played since alpha, and this is a very incorrect statement. The problem is that people were, at that time, stupid (no offense) and didn't understand how to deal with them properly.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I've played since alpha, and this is a very incorrect statement. The problem is that people were, at that time, stupid (no offense) and didn't understand how to deal with them properly.

It's not incorrect. If those turrets hit you with rockets, you were going way across the map. It didn't matter if you had invul or anything, you were going ACROSS THE MAP.

I've played since the beginning. I knows whats I iz talkin'z aboutz!

Read old patch notes, THEY HAD TO NERF THE GOD DAMN KNOCKBACK (A thousand times)

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's not incorrect. If those turrets hit you with rockets, you were going way across the map. It didn't matter if you had invul or anything, you were going ACROSS THE MAP.

I've played since the beginning. I knows whats I iz talkin'z aboutz!

Read old patch notes, THEY HAD TO NERF THE GOD DAMN KNOCKBACK (A thousand times)

Sure man. Basically sentries were never destroyed in the beginning of the game because of knockback. Even though those nerfs came AFTER noclip sentry building under maps was fixed and people were still able to leave spawn if ubered (even hit with rockets).

Even if what you said was true, Hell even if it was true now, they could still easily be destroyed by a demo/medic combo. Why? Because people aren't stupid on how to destroy them anymore.

If it was that easy with an engineer, the defending team would just always win with sentries, which was not the case.

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I'm at 1100 hours now. Not a lot compared to some players, but that's all lone wolf pub play. TF2 is the only game that I always go back to.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Not true at all. Spy can be very useful for taking out high value targets and going for point caps. The key is that you only need one, maybe two spies if they're both really good but anymore than that and it becomes an overall disadvantage because you have less guys fighting on the front lines.

After thousands of hours of spy play under my belt, I don't even consider the class a counter to sentries. Sure it can do that, but you have soldiers and demomen who are more suited to that role. Spy is the class to take out that enemy medic building uber, or to pick off lone players getting back to the front lines. Another great use is to work with a heavy medic pair by staying cloaked ahead of them waiting for enemies to engage your teammates so you can backstab them.

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm at 1100 hours now. Not a lot compared to some players, but that's all lone wolf pub play. TF2 is the only game that I always go back to.

Right now I'm only around 850 or so according to Steam, but this was before Steam counted hours on games you played. I think I'm close to around 2500 hours total.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Still need to backstab those medics that are building up the uber. Or better yet, having the their medic uber you while you backstab their team :biggrin:

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Still need to backstab those medics that are building up the uber. Or better yet, having the their medic uber you while you backstab their team :biggrin:

I used to do this with a friend. I would disguise as a friendly pyro and he'd uber, so the enemies would turn and run... and get backstabbed. :D

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Right now I'm only around 850 or so according to Steam, but this was before Steam counted hours on games you played. I think I'm close to around 2500 hours total.

When did it start? I only started playing in 09, but I think I remember years ago it didn't seem to record the hours properly.

Patre

May 29, 2013
Wow 2500 hrs!!

I'm working my way up to that......about 2487 to go. ;)

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

I think the tracking hours go all the way back but they only made it visible. It says I have 1200+ hours and there's no way that's only from the last couple years. I basically took a year off from TF2 in that time frame and only play it an average of 1-2 hours a week now.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
When did it start? I only started playing in 09, but I think I remember years ago it didn't seem to record the hours properly.

The game was released in 2007, and I played it before that a couple years while it was still in alpha/beta.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the tracking hours go all the way back but they only made it visible. It says I have 1200+ hours and there's no way that's only from the last couple years. I basically took a year off from TF2 in that time frame and only play it an average of 1-2 hours a week now.

I think there was a period of time when games weren't properly time-tracked either when it first started. I know I'm close to 2500 played, but 850 is definitely lower than what it should be. Hell some of the games I beat during the time it started still say I haven't played the game or say I only played like an hour :D