Team Fortress 2

Patre

May 29, 2013
Although this is an older game (free one at that), I'm havinng a blast playing this game. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but (lately) I've prefered to play TF2 than the paid ones I have (Crysis3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider etc...). :biggrin:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I wouldn't say it is old as it gets updated quite often. have fun, it is about to get even better, Halloween event is coming soon.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
I wouldn't say it is old as it gets updated quite often. have fun, it is about to get even better, Halloween event is coming soon.
Yes, I always try to fire up TF2 for the Halloween events. Really enjoyed the Headless Horseless Horseman and the big eyeball (?) themes in recent years. I also play a lot of Battlefield Heroes for my free-to-play multiplayer fix.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I bought TF2 back in the Orange Box days not knowing anything about it other than the art style. It's easily my favorite shooter, the one I always go back to.

Patre

May 29, 2013
I'm somewhat of a noob to this game, but I've noticed some of the players in there are "almost" indestructible and their accuracy is crazy perfect.......just not sure if that's a gained feature from long term play or plain cheating. LOL :))

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm somewhat of a noob to this game, but I've noticed some of the players in there are "almost" indestructible and their accuracy is crazy perfect.......just not sure if that's a gained feature from long term play or plain cheating. LOL :))

Very few cheat and you can certainly tell when they do. find a good server or servers and stick with them. Also, practice, you will get to a point where your KD is very good. I've had games where I was 42:2. I wouldn't know how to cheat if you showed me.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Easily one of my top three games of all time.

They went a bit overboard on the items, but Valve has to make a profit (along with years of support) somehow.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
TF2 has always been my goto game when in between/waiting for something new to come along. It's really one of the only games that I can just jump back into after a year at any time and enjoy the hell out of it. I think it has to do with the overall non-serious attitude towards how you play. You can bunny hop and do whatever the hell you want without worrying about breaking some kind of unwritten rule. The art style lends to its playability as well as it seems like the graphics have never aged since its original release.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
TF2 has always been my goto game when in between/waiting for something new to come along. It's really one of the only games that I can just jump back into after a year at any time and enjoy the hell out of it. I think it has to do with the overall non-serious attitude towards how you play. You can bunny hop and do whatever the hell you want without worrying about breaking some kind of unwritten rule. The art style lends to its playability as well as it seems like the graphics have never aged since its original release.
Good points all around. Speaking of unwritten rules, I played quite a bit of TFC and folks seemed to have real issues with players using the Heavy (you were deemed a newb for using it and well, newbs didn't belong I guess). I actually played almost exclusively as a Spy on TFC and usually as Soldier on TF2. I do occasionally run with the Heavy on TF2 and there has never been a hint of being outcasted. TF2 is one of those multiplayer games where everyone can find some type of role if they look hard enough - no matter their skill level (for the most part).

Patre

May 29, 2013
Although I've used Heavy a few times, and had the most points/best results with it, I've prefered to use Soldier (the one with a rocket launcher). I'm yet to venture on to other characters......a bit more practice will lead me to the others.

I'm still trying to figure out how to access the other weapons I've acquired while playing....

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Well I first started playing TF2, my computer couldn't handle it. So I played as engineer and babysat my turret. I had a macro to just swing the wrench, so even if the game lagged, my guy was just sitting there swinging. I still haven't caught up to my engineers in hours played. Next step up was medic, since you didn't have to aim, just heal. After i got my new video card (GTX260) I was able to play for real.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I've played TF2 since I pre-purchased and got early access to the Beta. I may drop it every now and then in favor of another new game, but I always come back to it. I'm also looking forward to the Halloween event as they usually do a great job with it.

Patre

May 29, 2013
I've played TF2 since I pre-purchased and got early access to the Beta. I may drop it every now and then in favor of another new game, but I always come back to it. I'm also looking forward to the Halloween event as they usually do a great job with it.

Someone else also mentioned that the Halloween even is special......in which way?

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Someone else also mentioned that the Halloween even is special......in which way?

They usually make a new Halloween themed map for it which includes a "boss". The first year it was the Headless Horseless Horseman, then Occulus (a giant floating eye) and last year it was some necromancer.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Good points all around. Speaking of unwritten rules, I played quite a bit of TFC and folks seemed to have real issues with players using the Heavy (you were deemed a newb for using it and well, newbs didn't belong I guess). I actually played almost exclusively as a Spy on TFC and usually as Soldier on TF2. I do occasionally run with the Heavy on TF2 and there has never been a hint of being outcasted. TF2 is one of those multiplayer games where everyone can find some type of role if they look hard enough - no matter their skill level (for the most part).

The heavy you could generally just wander out and get a kill through attrition and then die. To do really well with him you had think ahead and play strategically.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Used to play it a lot when the orange box came out. Once they started introducing items and stuff, I had stopped playing. Item introduction just made me not want to play that much more. (Non-level playing field)

Like most games at that stage, some characters were broken (Just takes 2-3 engineers, no FF, and no one could ever penetrate your defense). And like every freaking source game, there were tons of registry and lag problems. (As the sniper guy, that was really annoying) I still play CS : GO even though it has those issues. >_< (Infuriating at times)

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Used to play it a lot when the orange box came out. Once they started introducing items and stuff, I had stopped playing. Item introduction just made me not want to play that much more. (Non-level playing field)

Like most games at that stage, some characters were broken (Just takes 2-3 engineers, no FF, and no one could ever penetrate your defense). And like every freaking source game, there were tons of registry and lag problems. (As the sniper guy, that was really annoying) I still play CS : GO even though it has those issues. >_< (Infuriating at times)

Tell us how the hats made them better than you.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
2-3 engineers can easily be overcome. Items can be obtained without money, and they're sidegrades, not upgrades.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
They had/have other items like you had to earn the special flamethrower and fighting gloves for the heavy, etc.

What RedStorm said, they made the game more fun by giving you a slightly different way to play the say character.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010

AHAHAAHAHAHA

Say that to my demo-medic combo noob.