Team Fortress 2 Scout update!!!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Drako
I played last night for the first time in about two months. Seems like every freaking server had 80 to 90 percent scouts :(. Maybe I'll play again in a couple more months - maybe it will be more balanced.

I haven't had a chance to play with the update yet, but most decent servers place limits on the number of a certain class per team. I always try and stick to those servers when these updates come out.

KT

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Drako
I played last night for the first time in about two months. Seems like every freaking server had 80 to 90 percent scouts :(. Maybe I'll play again in a couple more months - maybe it will be more balanced.

You played at the worst time cus of the update. Wait a while and it will die down.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I've been playing as Scout in a populated server and there were only the usual amount of Scouts and it was awesome. The Sandman makes the Scout much more effective on being able to take out larger enemies like the Heavy as you stun them with the ball then get close to them and kill them. If you're a good shot you can take out medics and other classes and I'm practicing on stunning while moving. It's difficult to stun someone while running but I'm getting better at it. I also had fun with doing some long shots on Snipers and stunning them then running to them and killing them.

I also really enjoy the Force-A-Nature cus it fires fast for those 2 rounds and pushes people back which is awesome for a Scout and great for getting people off caps and pushing the bombs. Great against pretty much every class and the Scout is fast enough to run away and reload the two clips and start shooting again.

The Drink is really meh. I couldn't really use it that effectively unless I wanted to get behind the enemy but they would see me run anyways and kill me. I would rather have the pistol.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Bought the game yesterday, and I was pleased to learn that my old TF Classic skills hadn't deserted me after years of disuse. It's amazing how much damage you can do as a Pyro if you actually wait for a moment to consider where you're going to rush people from - and switch to the damn shotgun once in a while. Sad about my grenades going away, but them's the breaks.

How do you build stuff as an engineer? I couldn't figure that out during the one time I tried playing as one. :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: erwos
Bought the game yesterday, and I was pleased to learn that my old TF Classic skills hadn't deserted me after years of disuse. It's amazing how much damage you can do as a Pyro if you actually wait for a moment to consider where you're going to rush people from - and switch to the damn shotgun once in a while. Sad about my grenades going away, but them's the breaks.

How do you build stuff as an engineer? I couldn't figure that out during the one time I tried playing as one. :)

Pick weapon number 4, then pick from the 4 buildings and left click to place them. Right click rotates them 90 deg.

I played for a bit yesterday as a heavy just trying to kill scouts with the 2nd minigun. Teams would be mostly scouts so there was a lot of targets. Though it's pretty annoying when there's more than one scout hit you with baseballs.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
played a bit yesterday, "only" about 3-4 scouts on each team for dustbowl. only got 3 of the achievements before calling it a night... and halfway to the 1000 doublejumps one. considering farming but the unlocks don't seem that great, based on what i saw.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I unlocked the Force-a-nature last night. I'm a damn good scout and it was a bit better then I expected. It's not so useful at the moment because of the number of other scouts running around but once the class balance returns to normal, the gun should be pretty useful! Now to get the other unlocks.

The bat seems a bit ridiculous to me. Maybe I'm just not used to it but it seems too easy to hit people with it. You're pretty much toast if you get hit.

Tom221

Dec 16, 2008
The energy drink makes playing engineer a lot more interesting on 2fort. Never seen so many people make it to the intel room before.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Anyone else come across a server where spies were turned off? I was a on a server where they were saying linux servers were crashing after the udpate when spies were used.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
yes, i've been to servers now where they are either not allowing them or protesting their new functionality.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Apparently there's some bug with Linux servers being crashed by spies. When I found out I just laughed. :laugh:

Luckily my main server seems unaffected.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
i got all of the unlocked last night on a achievement server (the baseball one). it took me at most 3 hours.

The bat is relatively defensive, unless you are against a heavy then it's very effective. I miss the double jump though. The gun is OK because it is a 2 shot automatic shotgun like the noobstick in CS, however it knocks you back as well so you might not want to use it against the other people while in mid air. The drink has it's uses, as a suicide runner I will gladly trade the pistol for it. Might be less useful in wide open maps though.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
As much as I have loved TF2 since I first gave the beta a try, I am not thrilled with the latest updates.

It's far more annoying having teams full of scouts than it was with medics, pyros, or heavies. Seems most of the servers I play on only limit how many snipers and pyros there can be, but not scouts. I know it will die down, but right now it sucks.

But that will pass and I'm not all that concerned about that.
I'm more peeved about the spy update. It seems like they don't have to uncloak before they can stab people now. I saw a spy pop out of thin air and back stab a medic on my team. There was no delay while uncloaking like there used to be. Is this intended or was it just a bug?
And being able to show any weapon is a real pain in the ass because you have to spy check everybody now. Can't trust that engy running to your base with the wrench showing anymore.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mb
And being able to show any weapon is a real pain in the ass because you have to spy check everybody now. Can't trust that engy running to your base with the wrench showing anymore.

failure to spy check is a team problem, not a game problem. as a pyro i check everyone.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Lorax

failure to spy check is a team problem, not a game problem. as a pyro i check everyone.

So even before the update you would spy check someone if they had their secondary or melee weapon showing?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007

So even before the update you would spy check someone if they had their secondary or melee weapon showing?

See, this buff was needed because the spy was too suspicious all the time. Now he has to be feared again.

And no, I personally didn't, but now I do.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte

See, this buff was needed because the spy was too suspicious all the time. Now he has to be feared again.

Yep, exactly.

Does anyone think the stun from the Scout's baseball is a fraction too long? Felt that way to me, but maybe I'm crazy.

KT

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000

yes i would. in fact, i never noticed what weapon they were carrying... which i guess doesn't help the "pyros are brainless players" theory.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
It seemed long to me. Although in the heat of a battle, seconds seem like minutes. I was more astonished at how much I get hit by the damn thing. Seems pretty easy to hit people with it. Does anyone know what the trajectory of the ball is? I'm guessing it's arched like the flare gun. Four more achievements and I'll be able to test it for myself.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: 40Hands
It seemed long to me. Although in the heat of a battle, seconds seem like minutes. I was more astonished at how much I get hit by the damn thing. Seems pretty easy to hit people with it. Does anyone know what the trajectory of the ball is? I'm guessing it's arched like the flare gun. Four more achievements and I'll be able to test it for myself.

When I first started playing last night I was getting hit by it like crazy. Eventually I became aware of it and was able to dodge many of them, but I would still get nailed once in a while and it seemed like I was swaying there stunned for eons.

KT

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: 40Hands

When I first started playing last night I was getting hit by it like crazy. Eventually I became aware of it and was able to dodge many of them, but I would still get nailed once in a while and it seemed like I was swaying there stunned for eons.

KT

You gatta dodge them Matrix style and yea it does stun for a while but it's hard to hit fast moving targets. I don't play in Scout populated servers any more which is good. I love playing in RTD servers.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte

Yep, exactly.

Does anyone think the stun from the Scout's baseball is a fraction too long? Felt that way to me, but maybe I'm crazy.

KT

A little, but I think people overblow the problem. When you have a team of 6 scouts and all of them are beaning people then it gets overwhelming but I think once they go down to normal scout levels that all you need to do is have a buddy system. The problem comes when they catch you alone. I think it makes us have to be better teammates to take out the scout since before they were too weak most players to consistently handle people 1 on 1.