Tax payers on the hook for up to $80,000 to cover murderer's sex change operation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
So since the "they will harm themselves" argument bombed you are now arguing "they will harm others"?

"Bombed"? Hardly. Haven't seen any substantive responses to my concerns so far, just "let him rot" type emotional appeals.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it a valid counter-argument.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Fundamentally, and I believe most Americans - conservative or liberal - would believe this, is we don't believe sex reassignment surgery to be life saving any more than giving a bank robber all of your money is life saving. When I think of a prisoner getting medical care I imagine they receive what is necessary to keep them alive, i.e. the same thing you would get at an emergency room. Treatment for viruses and bacteria, stab wounds, broken bones, etc. Just because someone tries to castrate themselves or otherwise threatens does not mean we believe they are entitled to such a surgery.

If your average US citizen walked into an ER and told them they would kill themselves unless given sex reassignment, would we do it? Is there a single case of someone that has not been incarcerated being given sex reassignment surgery as a medical necessity and paid for by tax payers? This is where you chime in and say that we put him in prison and took away his ability to earn money for it. Let me remind you that 99% of Americans do not have $80K for such an operation so that argument is invalid. If it were medically necessary then taxpayers would be on the hook for everyone.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
And nobody is arguing that the person should be set free.

I never said anyone was

You said:
The person has already tried to mutilate themselves, and to commit suicide.

I took this to mean that you think some sort of special consideration in the case for $80,000 should be made because of the attempted suicide. My point is that we have limits to considerations surrounding suicide and that attempted suicide is not enough of a reason to make these special accommodations.

Do you have any evidence to indicate that the decision was incorrect? Or are you, like so many others, just spouting that it shouldn't be done because you hate prisoners?

Well, its good to know that you view the world in such a black or white manner. If I don't have evidence then I must hate prisoners. If only there were some other option! That unbelievably stupid way of thinking is part of what is wrong with the country. Only two options. Idiotic.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
$80,000 is what, two years' worth of normal expenses for a prisoner?

I'm not a fan of shelling out taxpayer dollars for such things, but when you commit to put someone in jail for life you have to take care of them. What would you propose they do in this circumstance?

Leave him alone, he hsas more fucking rights than i do apparently. If I wanted a sex change operation Id have to pay through the nose, here this guy is, a murderer, and its provided for him. He has food, water, shelter, he doesnt NEED a sex change operation.

If this asswipe wants to off himself I say let him, the world is much better off without this shitstain. If I was there Id give him a sex change myself, probobly wont end well for him, but it makes more sense than taxpayers paying for it.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Re: him trying to mutilate himself and commit suicide, for plenty of people simply being in prison is a hellish experience that makes them want to kill themselves. Tough shit for them.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
80,000 is more than I make in three years . . .
having only seen the details in the OP, i don't think this is necessary.

at the same time, we are now giving anyone the choice as to what they think their gender is thanks to the LGBT community. . "he was born in a womans body". . we're seeing it in sports and beauty pagents and such.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
The conservative mind has traveled so far from reality today they are no longer Americans and can't comprehend either the objectivity or compassion toward the human spirit the founders put into the Constitution. They have become the same moral filth that ran the Spanish Inquisition, full of the vial arrogance that THEY speak for God and the sickening joy they take in the justification of their vengeance. Morally, they have become worthless scum. They are the people of the Dark Ages and if the control the ring of power the world will go dark. God have mercy on their souls for they have no mercy for themselves.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

The liberal mind is so blinded by what is in front of them that they cant comprehend the big picture. This man, murders his wife. So far do you know the story? Good, where is your compassion for her mother/father/aunt/uncle/siblings/friends, who are all (presumably, as long as they arent a Romney) taxpayers that have to pay for this creature to have his johnson cut off so he can live a happier life? Where is the compassion for EVERYONE else who didnt commit a murder that has to now pay for this guy to be turned into a girl. Its not cut and dry (no pun intended), its not a case of compassion for this creature, he violated one of the few laws that actually matter, no killing people. Thats a human law, not a civil law. he broke it, therefore he clearly doesnt want us to treat him like a human. Cold blooded murderers and rapists should be treated like the animals they are.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
A federal court reviewed the data and determined that it was medically required, not elective.

Just more proof that the court system is screwed up. Now a federal judge has decided that purely elective procedures are "medically necessary", even though there is absolutely nothing physically wrong with the person. The murderer is simply mentally incompetent, and society should not have to pay extra to indulge their idiocy.

Next up, female prisoners will want boob jobs and demand that the state pay for it lest they have the urge to harm themselves.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
80,000 is more than I make in three years . . .
having only seen the details in the OP, i don't think this is necessary.

at the same time, we are now giving anyone the choice as to what they think their gender is thanks to the LGBT community. . "he was born in a womans body". . we're seeing it in sports and beauty pagents and such.

My question is why do the LGB people want to associate their group with people who are clearly mentally ill?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
"Pay for it themselves" -- using what? You lock someone up for life, you make it so they can't earn an income.

Perhaps he should have thought of that before committing murder. His life goals are permanently derailed because of his own actions, and that should include any desires for expensive and unneeded physical alterations.

So again, it's easy to say what they shouldn't do. What should they do?

There is no reason to do anything at all. He made his bed, he can sleep in it. The only accommodation I think that would be reasonable is to house him with the special offenders or something where he's less likely to get hurt. If he chooses to hurt himself, that's his problem.

Apr 27, 2012
Typical liberals supporting this guy, its disgusting. The taxpayer shouldn't pay for this nonsense. liberals care more about helping these "people" than poor people

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I will give my most eloquent plea for this ...

Let the murdering C... S..... rot!

I don't get what's not to get about being a convicted felon. You have no rights!

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Hey, its just a drop in the bucket on top of the 16 trillion bill we already have. It will also probably make him (her) very popular on the cell block.......:(

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Who is the federal judge that made this ruling? Seriously, it's time for Congress to start talking impeachment ...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
$80,000? But you can get one even in price gouged America for half that amount.

Feb 10, 2000
Who is the federal judge that made this ruling? Seriously, it's time for Congress to start talking impeachment ...

He is a Reagan appointee, interestingly enough.

As for the topic at hand, I am generally liberal and think that in many ways our correctional system is unduly harsh, which works to the ultimate detriment of our society because it worsens recidivism. That being said, I could not argue with a straight face that I think it makes sense to force the taxpayers to subsidize this procedure.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He is a Reagan appointee, interestingly enough.

As for the topic at hand, I am generally liberal and think that in many ways our correctional system is unduly harsh, which works to the ultimate detriment of our society because it worsens recidivism. That being said, I could not argue with a straight face that I think it makes sense to force the taxpayers to subsidize this procedure.

:thumbsup:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The liberal mind is so blinded by what is in front of them that they cant comprehend the big picture. This man, murders his wife. So far do you know the story? Good, where is your compassion for her mother/father/aunt/uncle/siblings/friends, who are all (presumably, as long as they arent a Romney) taxpayers that have to pay for this creature to have his johnson cut off so he can live a happier life? Where is the compassion for EVERYONE else who didnt commit a murder that has to now pay for this guy to be turned into a girl. Its not cut and dry (no pun intended), its not a case of compassion for this creature, he violated one of the few laws that actually matter, no killing people. Thats a human law, not a civil law. he broke it, therefore he clearly doesnt want us to treat him like a human. Cold blooded murderers and rapists should be treated like the animals they are.

Oh not at all. He violated no moral principle when he killed his wife. He was completely morally justified, but of course, only in his own mind, and acted out of the same moral certainty that she should die as you act toward him. This is why vengeance against those who practice rightful vengeance themselves, is just a different form of the same insanity. Nothing you can do to this guy will rectify a single thing he did. Nothing can be gained from this creature's life except the example you can set to differentiate yourself from how he treated his wife. You apparently do not know the virtue of mercy because you have none and feel no moral compulsion to set a good example.

The satisfaction that others suffer is the exact sickness that killers feel.

I understand you perfectly. You think you see the big picture because you don't see a larger one. I have no need for compassion for those who have to bear the cost that a virtuous life demands because I bear those costs willingly as the price of admission to the human race.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Words you don't often see in print.

"She attempted to castrate herself."

Make the judge pay for half and mandate that he keep her testicles in jar on his desk until he retires.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
This notion that a sex change operation is "medically necessary" is absurd. Society doesn't owe this piece of human garbage an $80,000 elective operation. If he can't deal with that then tough shit for him.

this.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So what if the operation turns her/him/it into a model prisoner allowing her to be paroled earlier saving the taxpayers more money than it costs to keep her incarcerated?

Would that change anyones mind - if it ended up saving the taxpayers money?

This is all hypothetical.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Providing food, bed, and basic medical care is taking care of them. Providing for elective surgery is going beyond taking care of them.
This.

It's the new proggie mantra. Everybody deserves everything - as long as they didn't earn it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This.

It's the new proggie mantra. Everybody deserves everything - as long as they didn't earn it.

Not sure how this is progressive as this was a republican judge.

But if you want to go off topic then the Repub mantra is "You didn't earn that! You're CEO did!"