Tax payer funded vacations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
While the entire country is hurting and the left is focused on revenue instead of spending cuts, this behavior from the left is unquestionably not surprising. The only thing they value less than an opposing opinion is the dollars somebody else has earned.

Point is that when the country is hurting, it's not too much to ask for the Pres's daughter to celebrate a B-day for less than 115k. If it's SS costs, then stay close to home for christs sake, it's not difficult to connect nuerons on this issue. Again, the left just needs to replace obama with Bush and then they'd be enraged at this same behavior. Right would be enraged with either Obama or Bush in office if something like this occured, hence the appreciation of other people's money.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Thats known as a false equivalence Attic.

So welcome to that club; Nehalem, Incorruptible, and many others will be happy to share a beer with you.

Apr 27, 2012
While the entire country is hurting and the left is focused on revenue instead of spending cuts, this behavior from the left is unquestionably not surprising. The only thing they value less than an opposing opinion is the dollars somebody else has earned.

Point is that when the country is hurting, it's not too much to ask for the Pres's daughter to celebrate a B-day for less than 115k. If it's SS costs, then stay close to home for christs sake, it's not difficult to connect nuerons on this issue. Again, the left just needs to replace obama with Bush and then they'd be enraged at this same behavior. Right would be enraged with either Obama or Bush in office if something like this occured, hence the appreciation of other people's money.

Agreed. Were having big problems with the economy and the pos obama thinks its alright to waste money like this? And his moronic supporters happily cheer him along like the sheep they are

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The problem is that it is tax payer money and it shouldn't be used for this, why cant obama and his corporate backers pay for it?

It doesn't matter how little the amount is, if tax dollars are wasted then people should be outraged

Shouldn't it? I believe precedent says otherwise. Now if you want the overall habit changed that's one thing but to blame Obama for something that has been going on for far longer than his presidency seems out of place. As far as I am aware the Secret Service provides tax-payer protection to all First Family members on vacation - including the Bush twins vacation in Buenos Ares.

Apr 27, 2012
Shouldn't it? I believe precedent says otherwise. Now if you want the overall habit changed that's one thing but to blame Obama for something that has been going on for far longer than his presidency seems out of place. As far as I am aware the Secret Service provides tax-payer protection to all First Family members on vacation - including the Bush twins vacation in Buenos Ares.

It shouldn't though. I want the habit changed but much blame goes towards obama since he didn't pay for it.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It shouldn't though. I want the habit changed but much blame goes towards obama since he didn't pay for it.

How is Obama to blame? You expect his children to live in the White House for 8-years? Should Obama also expect to pay the Service Service protection cost when his children go to school, the mall the movies? How far do you want to take this?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
this thread is idiotic.

the President works nearly every day. even when on vacation. The family members NEED to be protected. That is the job of the SS. They do a damn good job.

Should the kids of the President stay at the White house? fuck no.

I have no issue with her going or the cost.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The story is here

Just wondering what you guys think of this. Is it normal? Should things like this be paid for from the President's personal salary? I'm not clear on all the perks of the White house, but it seems pretty pricey.

Um that's Status Quo with ALL Presidents Children and Spouses.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
I don't have a problem with having SS protection for the President's daughter on vacation, but I do have a problem with the vacation itself. Was Mexico an age appropriate trip? If your 13 year old daughter came and asked "Dad/Mom, can I go to Mexico on spring break with 12 of my friends?", I'd probably break out laughing at the request, then say no. I'd probably keep saying no every year until she was 18, and then let her know that she was an adult, let her know the dangers of such a trip, try to discourge her from going, that there would be no one there to protect her, and that she would have to pay for it out of her own money.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

LMAO. Replace Obama with Bush? You're comparing Bush, who waged 2 wars, cut taxes, and put the wars on credit cards costing several trillion dollars to a fucking secret service detail that cost 115k.

False equivalent much?

Edit: Not to mention putting the medicare prescription bill on credit cards as well.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I don't have a problem with having SS protection for the President's daughter on vacation, but I do have a problem with the vacation itself. Was Mexico an age appropriate trip? If your 13 year old daughter came and asked "Dad/Mom, can I go to Mexico on spring break with 12 of my friends?", I'd probably break out laughing at the request, then say no. I'd probably keep saying no every year until she was 18, and then let her know that she was an adult, let her know the dangers of such a trip, try to discourge her from going, that there would be no one there to protect her, and that she would have to pay for it out of her own money.

It would depend on who was going with my daughter. What it doesn't mention is what type of adult chaperone would be going with. Unfortunately the article beyond the outrage over the Secret Service protection makes no mention of this so it is kind of hard to gauge if this was a good idea or not.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Is this even news? Taxpayers have been funding presidential vacation since God knows when. We've also been funding Congressmen to sit around and bicker over stupid shit and getting nothing done for the longest time.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This, Ron Paul used private security out of his own pocket and not SS which is a form of welfare. Why cant obama pay for his own security:confused:

Because the secret service won't let him and it would be a retarded idea anyway? Just throwing it out there.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Shouldn't more blame go to Bush since he had even more kids for the secret service to cover (therefore more expensive) AND he didn't pay for it for twice as long as Obama?

Besides, do you really want it so that ONLY uber rich people can run for President excluding everyone that can not afford to pay for their own security for their entire family? Not that some joe blow has a good chance at becoming president as it is but it is nice to know that they aren't automatically excluded.

What about amassadors in foreign countries? Should they pay for their own security as well, if not why?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Funny, I don't seem to recall the right even raising the issue of how much it cost us to provide secret service protection for Bush and his family, both everyday and on their vacations.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
I have to laugh over this. Remember a few years ago when the same clowns were screaming over President and Mrs. Obama taking the Marine One helicopter up to New York to see a show. Lots of screaming about the cost of that.

Can you imagine the cost of it if the President drove up the NYC?

I was in Los Angeles once when President Reagan flew in. He drove from LAX to downtown. What a complete cluster. Not only was the airport locked down, all the freeways were closed. It took hours to get things back to normal. I had just picked up my rental car when the whole place shut down. As I recall it took my 4+ hours to go the 20 miles from LAX to downtown. Multiply that by the thousands, or millions of other people that were inconvenienced.

You can't expect the President and family to be locked in the White House for four years. As a taxpayer I demand that the President and his family fly everywhere by helicopter/jet and only drive for distances of less than a mile:thumbsup: