Tax payer funded vacations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This thread is a perfect example of why the Republicans are burying themselves.
First off its just an outright lie since the government didn't spend one penny on the kids vacation. Obama paid for it. The government only paid for the protection of the Presidents kids. Just like it has for Bushes kids, Clintons kid, etc.

Its these made up "news stories" that show how bereft of ideas the Republicans are. It is just like Fox news going on for days over how many vacation days Obama has taken when Bush took many many more days. Its like the ridiculous figure of 200 million dollars a day the Republicans claimed Obamas trip to India cost.

Rational people look at crazy Republican shit like this and just think this is the reason they can't let these people back in power.

lol read a little closer its not just Republicans talking shit and that have no fucking clue.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Yes, I have a problem with it. If I go to Mexico no one pays for my security. If you're the type of person who needs 100 armed guards to travel then guess what, that's what it costs for you to travel. You don't get to have taxpayers cover it just because you need it.

Apr 27, 2012
Yes, I have a problem with it. If I go to Mexico no one pays for my security. If you're the type of person who needs 100 armed guards to travel then guess what, that's what it costs for you to travel. You don't get to have taxpayers cover it just because you need it.

I agree, If she needs security then it is not the job of the American taxpayer to pay for that let obama pay for it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Malia needs Secret Service protection precisely because she is the daughter of our president, just like all presidential dependents before her needed & received it. Probably more, given the number of racist fringe whacks who've threatened Obama's life.

http://www.causes.com/causes/350394-join-the-fight-to-stop-dishonoring-the-president/actions/1708445

This whole right wing schtick about "whatever Obama does is wrong because he's doing it" is profoundly dishonest & shameful, but when that's all you've got, apparently you're quite willing to use it.

Apr 27, 2012
Malia needs Secret Service protection precisely because she is the daughter of our president, just like all presidential dependents before her needed & received it. Probably more, given the number of racist fringe whacks who've threatened Obama's life.

http://www.causes.com/causes/350394-join-the-fight-to-stop-dishonoring-the-president/actions/1708445

This whole right wing schtick about "whatever Obama does is wrong because he's doing it" is profoundly dishonest & shameful, but when that's all you've got, apparently you're quite willing to use it.

But not at the cost of the taxpayer, let obama for her protection or a better idea dont let her go.

These racist fringe whacks are just that a fringe minority, some of them rednecks and hillbilly's who really cant be taken seriously.

As well george bush also had death threats against him so why aren't you defending him?

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
But not at the cost of the taxpayer, let obama for her protection or a better idea dont let her go.

These racist fringe whacks are just that a fringe minority, some of them rednecks and hillbilly's who really cant be taken seriously.

As well george bush also had death threats against him so why aren't you defending him?

So Obama is different than all past presidents?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I would just be curious to know what the cost would be if she had traveled somewhere else like New Orleans or South Beach. I have to imagine that costs have gone up along with security concerns but if there was a significant expense to go to Mexico instead then I think they should have stayed in the US.

I am sure someone could also twist that into 'Obama sending American Tax Payer Money Overseas' and how his family was 'Personally funding foreign economies instead of domestic'

In any event - I would think this should rank pretty low on a 'we should care about this' scale. While $116,000 sounds like a lot if this came completely out of the Secret Service's budget it would account for all of 0.0006% of their budget

Just for fun - the Secret Service spent $113M to cover all the GOP candidates during the election process

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Funny that bill doesn't seem all that unreasonable to protect the Presidents daughter. Seems like there was some decent value there.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I think this thread has performed its purpose.
It has let the American people see once again see that Republicans are just outright crazy and liars.

Mission Accomplished.

Feb 4, 2009
I personally would like to see/know more details about camp David. I'll agree leaders need a safe & private place to unwind but I would like to know what we are paying for.

Apr 27, 2012
I would just be curious to know what the cost would be if she had traveled somewhere else like New Orleans or South Beach. I have to imagine that costs have gone up along with security concerns but if there was a significant expense to go to Mexico instead then I think they should have stayed in the US.

I am sure someone could also twist that into 'Obama sending American Tax Payer Money Overseas' and how his family was 'Personally funding foreign economies instead of domestic'

In any event - I would think this should rank pretty low on a 'we should care about this' scale. While $116,000 sounds like a lot if this came completely out of the Secret Service's budget it would account for all of 0.0006% of their budget

Just for fun - the Secret Service spent $113M to cover all the GOP candidates during the election process

The problem is that it is tax payer money and it shouldn't be used for this, why cant obama and his corporate backers pay for it?

It doesn't matter how little the amount is, if tax dollars are wasted then people should be outraged

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I don't necessarily consider the time the President spends working from one of his homes other than the White House being on vacation. Does Obama's vacation time include the time he spent at home in Chicago?

Or on the Golf Course?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is probably paying for the Secret Service detail guarding the president's daughter.

I have never been on a spring break vacation.

Maybe the counted all the chasing after Mexican Whores and drinking and dancing.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That is probably enough money for a few friends to tag along. Why dont they just charter a private plane?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Considering Obama took around 80 days vacation in his first 4 years and Bush took over 1000 in his 8 years, 100k+ for mai tais is well justified.

This figure is kind of ridicoulous as other people have pointed out because of what they include. First of all they include things like if the President goes to Camp David for the weekend. Are saturday and Sunday really vacation days? Also you don't have to be in the White House to be working.