Tax hike on tobacco takes hold

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TruePaige

Everybody will die at some point Harvey, what about letting people do what they -enjoy-?

Most smokers enjoy smoking, shocking, I know. But that warm inhale, going through the lungs, giving a few seconds of relief, and reigning in some mental clairty, all before a passionate, enjoyable, exhale...rinse and repeat.

Taxing a minority who is made of mostly of America's less affluent and seeking to deprive them of one of the few joys they may have is morally reprehensible.

Those issues have already been addressed in this thread, and you're wrong on both accounts. Try reading it before posting to prove you didn't.

AFMatt

Aug 14, 2008
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
I bought a cartoon of cigs a month ago for $48. I smoked the last one this morning around 9:00. I'm a tight bastard and I'll be go to hell if I'm going to pay $7 for a lousy pack of cigarettes, so I'm quitting. Wish me luck!!

24 hours without a smoke!! LOL, I'm drooling pretty hard for one though

Good for you! It's been a few days, did you give in yet or are you still going strong?

On the issue... I smoked for many years, off and on since I first tried it when I was in 7th grade. I never smoked very heavily, roughly 1/2 pack a day on average, and and I have also used smokeless off and on over the years as well (a can lasts me about 4 days or so). I never felt adicted to nicotine and quit on the spot any time I wanted. The hardest part for me was always just getting over the habit of going out for a smoke with my buds or popping a dip in.
I dont have a problem with this tax. Smoking is a personal choice, but one that costs us all money regardless of the choice you make. If it gets people to quit, that's cool too. Both outcomes help reduce the burden, no matter how you slice it. Perhaps an alternative could be just refuse Medicaid for smoking related illnesses, cut all state/federal funded smoking related programs, and tell smokers "If you choose to smoke, you choose to pay for everything it causes."

Along the same lines, I also have absolutely no problem with the bans on smoking in public places. As a smoker, I always made an effort to not expose non-smokers to my stinky health hazard. I moved away from crowds when I was outside, chose to sit in the non-smoker section of restaurants, and I never smoked in my vehicle when there were kids in it. It isn't fair for someone who chooses not to smoke to have to breathe in mine.

While I'm at it, I drink alcohol and wouldn't argue an increased tax on it either. Alcohol related incidents, treatment, and other programs costs us billions per year and the taxes on alcohol haven't been raised in what, about 20 years?

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Skoorb
But not if I can oppress him by making cigarettes cost a ton of money :)

Then you daughter will just spend more money for them or turn to pot if it is cheaper.
The drug war has been a complete an utter failure to wipe out drug use. Taxing cigarettes into submission will have the same effect.

The best thing you can do is to teach her smoking is a disgusting habit.

Yep, pretty much. All drugs should be legalized and taxed, BUT don't tax them so much that people get them from the black market. Still, for the cost of ciggs now, honestly, the taxes on them aren't ridiculous, sorry. Grow/roll your own if you are that worried about it.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey

Everybody will die at some point Harvey, what about letting people do what they -enjoy-?

Most smokers enjoy smoking, shocking, I know. But that warm inhale, going through the lungs, giving a few seconds of relief, and reigning in some mental clairty, all before a passionate, enjoyable, exhale...rinse and repeat.

Taxing a minority who is made of mostly of America's less affluent and seeking to deprive them of one of the few joys they may have is morally reprehensible.

Those issues have already been addressed in this thread, and you're wrong on both accounts. Try reading it before posting to prove you didn't.

I argue that these points you allude to have not been proven.

Here is what I see...

1) Smokers are being taxed to pay for uninsured children.

2) Smokers are a non-vocal minority and an easy scape goat for balancing the books.

3) Anti-Smokers are using the tired "we're doing it for you!" mentality to oppress smokers.

4) Smokers generate additional health care costs, but also on average live shorter lifespans which balance out their increased short term costs.

So don't assume Harvey, because I read this whole thread and it took a bit.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: extra

Then you daughter will just spend more money for them or turn to pot if it is cheaper.
The drug war has been a complete an utter failure to wipe out drug use. Taxing cigarettes into submission will have the same effect.

Yep, pretty much. All drugs should be legalized and taxed, BUT don't tax them so much that people get them from the black market. Still, for the cost of ciggs now, honestly, the taxes on them aren't ridiculous, sorry. Grow/roll your own if you are that worried about it.

Costs for Roll Your Own tobacco increased over 2000% due to this legislation.

(Check Roll Your Own Revolution for a charted breakdown of how the tax impacted each tobacco product)

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

(Check Roll Your Own Revolution for a charted breakdown of how the tax impacted each tobacco product)

And I don't like paying more for my car insurance being male.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Jack Flash

And I don't like paying more for my car insurance being male.

Ack, don't get me started on that, Car Insurance is one crazy system, because it's required!

Prices vary from company to company so wildly it's insane.

But it doesn't have anything to do with tobacco.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
I am honored to be helping "The Children"

(adults can currently receive health care through SCHIP in 14 states and in 4 states there are more adults than children in the program)

"redistribution of the wealth" Yea Baby!

* Median income of smokers: $36,330.
* Some states have proposed that SCHIP cover families making as much as $80,000.

"Master Settlement Agreement" Where did it go.

Tax Facts - Where Does The Money Go? Cigarette taxes and settlement agreement funds are supposed to fund youth smoking prevention programs and other tobacco-related public health programs, but that's not always where the money really goes. Instead, more and more of your taxes are used to fund causes and projects unrelated to tobacco control. Here are just a few of the projects funded by your "Master Settlement Agreement" dollars:

* Dump trucks, golf carts and a course irrigation system, and a new county jail in New York
* Broadband-cable networks in Virginia
* Psychiatric care for prisoners in New Jersey
* Boot camps for juvenile delinquents, alternative schools, and metal detectors and surveillance cameras for schools in Alabama
* Upgrading public television stations with DVD technology in Nevada
* Harbor renovation and museum expansion in Alaska
* Water and sewer improvements in South Carolina
* Pasture and weather monitoring for a thoroughbred association in Kentucky College scholarships in Michigan
* New schools in Alaska and Ohio
* City parks and the purchase of undeveloped land in California
* A senior citizen prescription-drug program and property-tax rebates in Illinois
* Medicaid dental services in Maine
* Water Resources Trust Fund and flood-control projects in North Dakota
* Operating expenses for the Carolina Horse Park, truck-driver training, pine-straw farming research and equipment upgrades at a knitting plant in North Carolina
* A People's Trust Fund, which will generate interest income that can be spent at the legislature's discretion, in South Dakota
* Help in balancing the budget, which used four years of MSA money, in Tennessee
* Rural economic development in Georgia
* Tax rebates in several states
* Offsetting a revenue shortfall in Wisconsin by selling municipal bonds backed by future MSA payments

Not only is the tax being used for purposes other than the "damages" caused by the demon weed.. uh.. flower. It's not being used for the "The Children"

Yup gives me a warm feeling.... Or maybe it's the piss running down my back.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

I argue that these points you allude to have not been proven.

Here is what I see...

1) Smokers are being taxed to pay for uninsured children.

Yep! And that's as it should be. They're causing health problems for everyone, including and especially children, and they're not contributing anything close to what their destructive pollution costs everyone else. Targeting the revenue toward health insurance for children is using those funds to address area of the problems smokers cause.

2) Smokers are a non-vocal minority and an easy scape goat for balancing the books.

Smokers ARE the problem. They pollute everyone's environment. Their habit raises health care costs and lowers economic productivity for everyone far beyond what the smokers are currently contributing through taxes and their own health insurance... assuming they're paying anything at all.

3) Anti-Smokers are using the tired "we're doing it for you!" mentality to oppress smokers.

This tax isn't intended to do anything for "them," meaning the smokers. It's intended to raise sorely needed revenues to address specific problems from those who are causing the problems.

Non-smokers don't have to "do it for" smokers. Smokers can avoid paying the tax by quitting smoking. If they can't quit, they should pay for the damage they do to everyone else.

4) Smokers generate additional health care costs, but also on average live shorter lifespans which balance out their increased short term costs.

That's utter bullshit for a number of reasons. Smokers have a higher incidence of disease, which raises total health care costs, lowers their contributions to health care premiums and lowers total productivity. Their shorter lifespans also they pay less into the system over their shortened lifespans and use more of the available health care resources, shifting the burden to those who manage to stay alive and healthy longer.

Smokers are a burden on all of society. It would be less expensive and better all the way around if they quit, and it would be even better if we could ban tobacco from the planet, but that's not going to happen soon, let alone soon enough. Until it does, measures like this tax bill that force those who insist on smoking to pay for the damages they cause are reasonable and fair.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Targeting the revenue toward health insurance for children is using those funds to address area of the problems smokers cause.

Smokers do not cause uninsured children.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Every single adult in my family is/was a smoker. I am the only one who hasn't...and I'm the one who got cancer! Ain't that a kick in the pants...

Actually a good thing came out of it, I told them I wasn't visiting anymore unless they quit :p It worked on my Mom! (I do have legit reasons, chemo destroyed my lungs and I basically start coughing/puking from inhaling just a little bit of smoke).

Personally, I'm glad smoking is banned in public areas in NYS. I've got no problem with you doing it in your own home, but keep it the hell away from me.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: AFMatt
I bought a cartoon of cigs a month ago for $48. I smoked the last one this morning around 9:00. I'm a tight bastard and I'll be go to hell if I'm going to pay $7 for a lousy pack of cigarettes, so I'm quitting. Wish me luck!!

Good for you! It's been a few days, did you give in yet or are you still going strong?

On the issue... I smoked for many years, off and on since I first tried it when I was in 7th grade. I never smoked very heavily, roughly 1/2 pack a day on average, and and I have also used smokeless off and on over the years as well (a can lasts me about 4 days or so). I never felt adicted to nicotine and quit on the spot any time I wanted. The hardest part for me was always just getting over the habit of going out for a smoke with my buds or popping a dip in.
I dont have a problem with this tax. Smoking is a personal choice, but one that costs us all money regardless of the choice you make. If it gets people to quit, that's cool too. Both outcomes help reduce the burden, no matter how you slice it. Perhaps an alternative could be just refuse Medicaid for smoking related illnesses, cut all state/federal funded smoking related programs, and tell smokers "If you choose to smoke, you choose to pay for everything it causes."

Along the same lines, I also have absolutely no problem with the bans on smoking in public places. As a smoker, I always made an effort to not expose non-smokers to my stinky health hazard. I moved away from crowds when I was outside, chose to sit in the non-smoker section of restaurants, and I never smoked in my vehicle when there were kids in it. It isn't fair for someone who chooses not to smoke to have to breathe in mine.

While I'm at it, I drink alcohol and wouldn't argue an increased tax on it either. Alcohol related incidents, treatment, and other programs costs us billions per year and the taxes on alcohol haven't been raised in what, about 20 years?

Still going strong!! It's been over 5 days since I've touched a cigarette.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: newnameman
"I can make a firm pledge," Obama said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

http://www.breitbart.com/artic...79POSG0&show_article=1

Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
All this takes is a degree of logical processing that people are content to ignore if it gives them an opportunity to be outraged about something (because, let's face it, we all like to be outraged). Let's look at what specifically you said. "People under 250k." Right off the bat, we're making the distinction that this is about how much people earn. The money that people earn is known as income. So I think we can all agree that when Obama said people making under 250k would not pay additional taxes, he was dividing up groups based on income, correct?

Now, logically, since we've already established that he is dividing these groups based on income, you should carry that with you through the remainder of what he says. Groups in this income bracket will not pay higher taxes. That, to me, doesn't suggest that people who make under 250k will be spared from all taxation that they could possibly see between federal, state, county, municipal and city level taxation. That would be a ludicrous claim for any politician to make and any citizen that believed such a claim probably shouldn't be allowed to vote. Obama's statement, to me, suggests that people in a certain income bracket will not see increased taxation in terms of taxes that apply to income brackets; income tax. That's not a difficult leap of logic to make; in fact, it's the only leap of logic that could be considered rational considering how many politicians have discussed this exact same issue in every single election in the past 30 years.

We've been through this.

So you think that "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes," only refers to income tax? Really? Was Obama just joking when he said "not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes"?

Might have already been covered but....

If I tell you that "people in tax group A won't see an increase of taxes" then that means I must know their income. Sales tax is a flat tax, where income doesn't matter.

Also, sales tax is placed upon products you choose to buy. Obama is not forcing anybody under $250k to buy tabacco. He is saying "you can choose what you want to do, but the price to enter that game is now higher". You don't have to go play ball.

Don't bitch about sales tax on products raising the taxes of anybody under $250k. I make under that, and I haven't seen my taxes increase yet. Let me know when a smoking tax affects non-smokers as well, and then I'll get in an uproar right along with you.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

If I tell you that "people in tax group A won't see an increase of taxes" then that means I must know their income. Sales tax is a flat tax, where income doesn't matter.

Also, sales tax is placed upon products you choose to buy. Obama is not forcing anybody under $250k to buy tabacco. He is saying "you can choose what you want to do, but the price to enter that game is now higher". You don't have to go play ball.

Don't bitch about sales tax on products raising the taxes of anybody under $250k. I make under that, and I haven't seen my taxes increase yet. Let me know when a smoking tax affects non-smokers as well, and then I'll get in an uproar right along with you.

Capital gains tax

President Obama's budget, announced on February 25, 2009, calls for the Capital Gains Tax to be reverted to the 20% rate before the Sunset date of 2011.

This has not been done. As far as I know. But, would this be considered a tax increase? A lot of people under 250K do not own stocks so it will only affect a part of the population. And only the ones who are arguably better off.

I am not comparing them as to justification. Just want to know what others position is. The rate will not be increased. It would just be a sped up.

Most likely will not happen anyway.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
"I can make a firm pledge," Obama said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

http://www.breitbart.com/artic...79POSG0&show_article=1

Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
All this takes is a degree of logical processing that people are content to ignore if it gives them an opportunity to be outraged about something (because, let's face it, we all like to be outraged). Let's look at what specifically you said. "People under 250k." Right off the bat, we're making the distinction that this is about how much people earn. The money that people earn is known as income. So I think we can all agree that when Obama said people making under 250k would not pay additional taxes, he was dividing up groups based on income, correct?

Now, logically, since we've already established that he is dividing these groups based on income, you should carry that with you through the remainder of what he says. Groups in this income bracket will not pay higher taxes. That, to me, doesn't suggest that people who make under 250k will be spared from all taxation that they could possibly see between federal, state, county, municipal and city level taxation. That would be a ludicrous claim for any politician to make and any citizen that believed such a claim probably shouldn't be allowed to vote. Obama's statement, to me, suggests that people in a certain income bracket will not see increased taxation in terms of taxes that apply to income brackets; income tax. That's not a difficult leap of logic to make; in fact, it's the only leap of logic that could be considered rational considering how many politicians have discussed this exact same issue in every single election in the past 30 years.

We've been through this.

So you think that "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes," only refers to income tax? Really? Was Obama just joking when he said "not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes"?

wait until all the poor smokers start trying to quit... they'll wreak havoc... it'll be like zombies and shit... they'll be jones'n so bad they'll kicking the dog and strangling coworkers and such... it'll be glorius...

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Ns1
Targeting the revenue toward health insurance for children is using those funds to address area of the problems smokers cause.

So few words yet so true. Some can't grasp such a simple concept or don't want to.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

So few words yet so true. Some can't grasp such a simple concept or don't want to.

You, for example. Nice of you to omit my reply of similarly few words with an equally simple and true concept:

No, they just kill them and make them sick. :thumbsdown: :(

Thanks for trolling. :thumbsdown:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Thanks for trolling. :thumbsdown:

Along with a million other things.

Too bad those same kids still don't have insurance to protect them from things like you know, diabetes and cancer (I'm referring to the kinds of diabetes and cancer not caused by second hand smoke in case that's not clear enough)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

You, for example. Nice of you to omit my reply of similarly few words with an equally simple and true concept:

Yeah because every sick or dieing child is a result of smokers. :roll:

Prove that and I'll be on your side. Otherwise we need to start taxing a lot more things to pay for child health care.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Prove that and I'll be on your side. Otherwise we need to start taxing a lot more things to pay for child health care.

Still trolling, I see. Did I say EVERY sick or dying child is a result of smokers? NO, I did not, and neither did Ns1. He said:

I replied:

Demanding proof that they cause EVERY death or illness is absurd. We already have plenty of links establishing conclusively that smokers directly cause disease and death for themselves and others, and the tax measure, itself, specifies that the revenues would be applied to children's health care. That's direct application of funds from smokers, the source of the problem, to addressing one of the problems they cause.

If you're a smoker, you may want to see if it's the source of your short term memory loss and logic failure you're suffering. :Q

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

OMG that is horrible news.

;)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
snip

blah blah blah, at the end of the day those kids are still uninsured.

This is just going around in circles now, so I'm outta this thread. :)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Still trolling, I see. Did I say EVERY sick or dying child is a result of smokers? NO, I did not, and neither did Ns1. He said:

I replied:

Demanding proof that they cause EVERY death or illness is absurd. We already have plenty of links establishing conclusively that smokers directly cause disease and death for themselves and others, and the tax measure, itself, specifies that the revenues would be applied to children's health care. That's direct application of funds from smokers, the source of the problem, to addressing one of the problems they cause.

If you're a smoker, you may want to see if it's the source of your short term memory loss and logic failure you're suffering. :Q

Since you can't seem to grasp it. I'll spell it out in crayon for you one more time.

Does smoking cause health problems for kids? A: Yes

Is smoking the only cause for health problems with kids? A: No

So should smokers be burdened with all of childrens health care needs? (Harvey's answer) Yes

But Harvey, children get sick other ways too, how about childhood obesity? (Harvey's answer) Tax the smokers!

Harvey, how can you rationalize charging smokers for all the healthcare for children when you cannot attribute all the healthcare costs to smokers? (Harvey's answer) Because I want to :thumbsdown: :| :thumbsdown:

How about we spread the tax so its equally derived from causing factors of child health care? (Harvey's answer) No! Charge the smokers!

Fucking myopic panda.