TAS-poll for the project to crunch in January 2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
as far as i know doesn't malaria use a lot of memory, but writes very often to the harddrive...

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
as far as i know doesn't malaria use a lot of memory, but writes very often to the harddrive...

I notice in the forums some were noticing speed increases or better behaviour if they changed the boinc preference:

"Tasks checkpoint to disk at most every" to 600 seconds (default is 60?)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
People are starting to complain about memory problems on my office machines (it looks like NSF holds on to that .5-.8GB RAM per core even when BOINC is idle/suspended and even with the "leave applications in memory" box NOT checked) so I might have to shut it off soon and switch to another project for the rest of the month. :(

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Looks like we have a good chance to make a TeAm 1 million milestone on NFS! :)

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Peter, I'm proposing that you post at least once per day to the forums so we know you're recovery is going well! :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Why not. So done ... January 15, 2010 ;)

I'll do it in the OT-NEF-thread then ... you know, the post count.

BTW: Stats this week end! :D

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I am back 100% on NFS after crunching for half a day on RNA World as TAC (to get enough credits to be allowed to create the user profile.)

Just like the Tortoise and the Hare, Fardringle and I are racing for second spot. I rested (crunched elsewhere) for a day and Fardringle (the tortoise) has gained on me. I think there is a moral here... or maybe not.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Was just looking at the sttas in MalariaControl.

Among the top-producers there are 9 different countries ...
TeAm AnadTech is now among the top 10 producers ...
Petrus is among the top 10 producers ...

This is fun . :)

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Argh!

On NFS@Home, the Dreaded Pirate Fardringle has just passed the Sweet, Innocent, and Loveable Rudy Toody!

Argh!

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I just wanted a ride on the rocket powered scooter. I promise I'll give it back...eventually! :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have the malariacontrol and NFS data on my computer, but not the clearness of mind to do a good job with the stats. Sorry.
Unfortunately I had a backlash ... I have been sick for 2 days and am very tired ... but it is getting better. I will rest and then we will see. It seems I am pushing myself too much - at least that is what my fumbling doctors say. I suppose they may possibly be right ... ;)

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Take it easy Peter! Sometimes physicians give good advice! :hmm:

Neurodog

Jan 11, 2000
As Biodoc said: Take it easy!

It's one thing to be pushing your computers but take it easy on yourself!

We have the technology to repair them but they'll need the "Stats Master" for that!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Take it easy Peter! Sometimes physicians give good advice! :hmm:

That may be so ... and probably is ... but I do not have to like it. :hmm:

I like to be active - and I am the worst kind of patient. If I was my patient, then I would probably be quite frustrated .. ;)

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
rabrittain and I combined some leftover parts and built another AMD 940BE. It is running under my handle on NFS@Home until the end of the month. After that it is his baby!

Two days later, one of my quads died. Won't reboot. I will rma the board on Monday.

This means that Fardringle and dajeepster will probably pass me by 31 Jan. Crunch on, Guys!

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
Peter - It is very good to know that you're hanging in there. You and your family are in my prayers.

Before Christmas the computer that my ex and the kids were using is based on an AMD XP 2800+ cpu. I gave them one of my FX-60 machines. They enjoy it very much, but the most challanging task it has is the Farmville app on Facebook. Facebook is a phenomenon. My ex is not a computer person. Prior to August she regarded the computer as a means to enjoy a couple of good games of pinochle each day on Yahoo. She has 4 sisters and a mom who talked her in to joining Facebook and playing Farmville. Now she spends a couple hours on the computer each day. It's a little unbelievable because she works as a letter carrier 10 hours per day, often 6 days a week. Not only does the computer help her unwind, she is in contact with her whole extended family and even some people that she hasn't seen in 30 years.

I missed the stats that the machine used to generate as a cruncher, but I think I'll use a new thread to address that issue.

Speaking of phenoms -- as he mentioned above, Rudy Toody provided the mobo and an AMD 940 Phenom to build a new cruncher at my place. I am very impressed by the power of the machine. We've been running it stock and it has more than 4500 credits on NFS each day. The reason that we're running it stock is ... well, I'm a little bit of a weenie. We used parts from 2 motherboards to make 1 good one. The good mobo was missing the heat sinks and pipes for the north and south bridge. We took those from a bad motherboard and used a bit of icd7 and attached them to the good mobo. This was all Rudy's idea, and I (not having a lot of experience on mods and such) was very skeptical. I've been pleasantly surprised. The machine dropped out once soon after it was brought on line on Wednesday, 01/20, but has been crunching 24 hrs/day since then. I believe that the heat sinks are well seated by now. The case is a piece of junk, but I'm going to upgrade the fans in a few days, and I hope to overclock it wit Rudy's help.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. It's early for me, and I'm stuck. I need another cup of coffee.