TAS Challenge July 2007: Leiden Classical.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: caferace
Originally posted by: Rudy Toody
We can't just add the pending credits to get a final total because some fast cpus are given a lesser value than claimed.

--Fred

Fred,

The whole point of the challenge is to manage your client so you don't crunch beyond the stated goal. That would *include* any pending WU's. Unfortunately, it makes it a weak thing to use a project like LC for that has this issue. In the future, we should choose obscure projects that don't require a quorum and pick low value (point total) targets.

-jim

Hmmm, I do not like projects that do not require a quorum, because the project's science relies on data that are not "hard" enough. If the processor doesn't crunch accurately enough then quite a few of the results would be less than optimal and the science would become compromised. Therefore I like project with a quorum (preferably of three), and/or replication - the results are more reliable. And - forgive me for saying that - although the race is a lot of fun and very enjoyable, it is the science which is very important. OTOH some projects do - in themselves - not require replication or a quorum because it is very very obvious if the crunching is correct, (RCN for example if I understand it correctly), but those projects are few indeed.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
If we do the "waiting game" for the pending creds, our monthly output and scientific production for each project will always fall a week short of what we could have been able to achieve. I think the scientific aspect should not suffer because of the TAS challenge.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
If we do the "waiting game" for the pending creds, our monthly output and scientific production for each project will always fall a week short of what we could have been able to achieve. I think the scientific aspect should not suffer because of the TAS challenge.

Only that project loses some crunching. The challengers boxes will be doing another project during the waiting period.

During the waiting period of the next challenge, switch back to LC and do another week.

For example, I have a personal goal that I did not achieve at RCN, so I plan to use these waiting periods to go back to reach that goal.

--Fred

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well, the problem with the "pending credits" and the lack of WUs just now are - as seen from a discussion @ Leiden Classical related to each other. Lets have some patience - it will get solved ...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The challenge is on track again ... WUs are rolling in, and a week end coming up: stats-time soon! :sun:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The current stats in the TAS' July Challenge:

Credits to reach ____Credits now ____ % done ___ % from goal ___ Name
1 000 000 __________ 1 663.21 _______ 0.16% _____ 99.84% ____ Tallbill
__ 80 000 _________ 61 369.75 ______ 76.71% _____ 23.29% ____ caferace
__ 40 000 _________ 27 346.40 ______ 63.37% _____ 31.63% ____ BlackMountainCow
__ 35 000 _________ 27 974.40 ______ 79.93% _____ 20.07% ____ Rudy Toody
__ 25 000 _________ 17 610.32 ______ 70.44% _____ 29.56% ____ Petrusbroder
___ 5 750 __________ 3 488.91 ______ 60.68% _____ 39.32% ____ Tom Philippart

All are on track. BMC says that he is withdrawing from the challenge, but that is not mentioned in the rules. Even if he stops now, and does not add any more credits, he may still win, if all other participants go past the goal and if TallBill does not get closer ...

In the end, it will all depend on the pending credits, how much that will be granted. If it is more than the pending ones, and if the challenger has crunched just one credit too much, then he/she is out...

More participants are very welcome. You can join any time! :D

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
@ BMC --- the 1 000 posts goal has fallen. :D

or was it --- the 1 000 goal post has fallen? :D

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Damnit BMC, you spoiled my strategy! Everyone is closing in on their goal, hope you all mess up!

On a side not, Boinc crashed AGAIN today due to my internet connection. Think I might steer clear from Boinc untill I get home and set up some quad cores.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks for the stats, Peter!:thumbsup:

The next two weeks will be quite interesting!:)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
Damnit BMC, you spoiled my strategy! Everyone is closing in on their goal, hope you all mess up!

On a side not, Boinc crashed AGAIN today due to my internet connection. Think I might steer clear from Boinc untill I get home and set up some quad cores.

Well, you could set up BOINC in a way so it does not connect to the network unless you are there to supervise is (Sorry for having the Swedish version - but I'll try to translate it ...)

Select "Activity" from the menu (to the left from the "Advanced")
Select "Network activity not allowed (or something like that ...)

Now BOINC will not connect to the net - it will crunch on and on ...

Therefore you should - on your projects' account page - edit the "General Preferences", "Network Usage", the lines "Computer is connected to the internet about ... : (whatever time you know - I have mine set to 1 day) and "Maintain enough work for an additional" (in my case 3 days).

Then you can ask the comp to confirm before connecting to the net and to drop the connection when done. You could also define between which hours the computer - or rather BOINC - should use the net ... and that is quite good: I have set that to 02 - 05 o'clock every day, atr which time there is no interfering network activity.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I'll give it a shot!

Edit - It still wont feed me more then 2 wu's at a time. So if I leave the pc unattended it'll only run for 2 hours or so.

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
I received the belt today, so photo time tomorrow. I'm going to use some of my Arctic Silver polish to clean it up, but I'll record the fingerprints for the record first. :laugh:

What I'm guessing is lizardth's handwriting begins the journal. Nice touch.

cheers,

-jim

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Originally posted by: caferace
I received the belt today, so photo time tomorrow. I'm going to use some of my Arctic Silver polish to clean it up, but I'll record the fingerprints for the record first. :laugh:

What I'm guessing is lizardth's handwriting begins the journal. Nice touch.

cheers,

-jim

Congratulations!

Be sure to drop by a trophy shop and have a name tag made and attached to the belt. That way we'll have a permanent record of the winners. Nickname - JUNE 2007 should be enough info for the tag.

--Fred

PS: My computer that handles my web site just crashed and will not reboot, so the links to the belt pictures are broken. This also cuts my crunching power by one third.:(

PPS: Be sure to replace Nickname with caferace for the above tag example.:)

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Hey guys!

I'm heading off my university place to stay at my wife's for the next two months. That also means that I leave all my crunching power behind. I'll still be around the forums, but I won't crunch much if any WUs during those two months. Can't risk to break my laptop computer; writing my final thesis paper on it at the moment.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

:beer:

Chris

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
"Can nature show us a creator? About the ongoing debate between natural sciences, intelligent design, creationism and the catholic church about the proper relation of biological evolution and faith" :evil:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
OT:
Nice thesis title, BMC! ;)

Will you have a copy on the net? If not, I apply for a paper copy! :)

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
wow i'm very interested in that, I loved it in philosophy!
again good luck! :D

EDIT: If you plan to publish it, I'll buy it!!

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
LOL, I won't publish it, it's "just" for obtaining my teaching permit/diploma for German high schools, but if you're interested in a copy, I can send it as a PDF to you, once it's finished. But be warned: it's all in German (except for quotes from English sources like Darwin and such)

:)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
[OT: ]
Well, considering I have had some 8 years more schooling in German, probably much better. We had a s-o-b-teacher in orthography ...
Considering all, I probably spell best in German, then followed by Swedish, French, English. The other languages (Slovak, Russian, Latin) are even worse ... ;)
[/OT]