Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are beginning to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therefore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "failure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of dumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforeseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legislative docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that only "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinacy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

ERIC PETERS is a Washington, D.C.-based automotive columnist and author of Automotive Atrocities: The Cars You Love to Hate (Motor Books International).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
good

i however do drive in teh left lane all the time however i do move when faster traffic comes up behind me

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Wow, they need to check their articles. Many mistakes in there :p (If it was copied down from a hand written article, ignore that, you're allowed to be lazy for taking the time out to copy it).

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
:thumbsup:

90% of the cars that do it over here have US plates on them. :p

That's funny.
It's usually Canadians down here. Along with Pennsylvanians

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
FINALLY there is some progress on this stuff, maybe it'll make its way to Illinois some day. I hate these dumbass idiots going 40 in a 45 in the left lane and when you try to pass them up in the right lane, they SPEED UP for no other fvkin reason than to be assclowns.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yea that is awesome! i too drive in the left lane a lot, but i will always move right when other traffic is coming in the rear. i'll also move over to the 2nd to left lane from the farthest left lane if there is no one in that lane.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
I wish I could go off on a longer rant about the left lane hogs, but I'm at work. There's nothing more frustrating on the road than being stuck behind a stupid b!tch in the left lane driving slowly while she puts on her makeup and chatters on her cell phone.

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
:thumbsup:

I almost always drive in the right hand lane (2 lanes) or middle (3+) because I'm usually neither the fastest nor slowest car out there. However, if I pass, I use the left lane and get out. I hate passing on the right.

Florida is quite bad because we get a lot of drivers from everywhere and they bring their "local" habits. The different styles just make for a bad mess.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jalaram
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Did a third grader write that?

Amused didn't post where that article came from. It read like a poorly written op piece.

It an article my Mom sent me. She says it was an op/ed on AOL Autos.

[AOL jokes]

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004

People should always post the link from where they got the article, and they should also C+V - they should do both. LINK

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Now I have to sit back and hope against hope they pass this in my state. I drive a lot of interstate miles back and forth to work and I am tired of the asshats mentioned in the article. They are truly clueless morons that don't seem to give a damn they are holding up traffic.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Forget that.... If Im going 70mph in the left lane, to pass the right lane which is going 60-65, and the speed limit is 55, Im not moving over and slowing MYSELF down, just because some a$$hole behind me wants to go 90... he can wait until Im finished passing the even slower traffic on the right...

Will they actually ticket people going OVER the speed limit in the left lane , who wont get over for even fASTER crazyass drivers?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDZen

People should always post the link from where they got the article, and they should also C+V - they should do both. LINK

Like I said, my Mom copied it from AOL. I can't link to them.

I guess you found a copy of it in another publication. Thanks.

ERIC PETERS is a Washington, D.C.-based automotive columnist and author of Automotive Atrocities: The Cars You Love to Hate (Motor Books International).

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: dxkj
Forget that.... If Im going 70mph in the left lane, to pass the right lane which is going 60-65, and the speed limit is 55, Im not moving over and slowing MYSELF down, just because some a$$hole behind me wants to go 90... he can wait until Im finished passing the even slower traffic on the right...

Will they actually ticket people going OVER the speed limit in the left lane , who wont get over for even fASTER crazyass drivers?

It sounds to me like they will let the speeders go and target the more dangerous aholes clogging the left lane.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Logically, it is not speed alone that kills, it's vast variations of speeds between cars that kill. Driving slowly is as much a danger to others as driving fast.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

i think what you are describeing is different from what they are talking about

i took it as the peopel that drive 60-65 in the left lane and then right lane is also doing 60-65, when the speed limit is 65

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

That's not what this is about...it's about moronic drivers in the left lane that are going at or below the speed limit when they could do the same in the right lane

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Thank Christ! It's about time more states got laws like this on the books.

IMHO, I'm not concerned with raw speed as much as if the left-lane-fvckers are actually passing anyone.

For example, I came up on a douche driving about 70MPH in the left lane in a 65MPH zone. I was going about 75-80MPH. I expected the guy to switch to the right lane not only because I was going faster, but also because he was not passing anyone at the moment and the right lane was empty. Instead I ended up passing him on the right after about 20 seconds of riding his bumper.

If I'm in the left going 80MPH, and I see someone closing in on me, I'll move over. I don't care if the guy who wants to pass me is excessively speeding...it's just common "German" courtesy to switch to the right lane after you're done passing, or if someone wants to pass you. No need to enforce the speed limit on others; traffic pigs exist for that job.