Talk to me about this stimulus bill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I thought I was reading an Onion "article" when I saw the demands the dims are trying to add. Pelosi is so close to full retard she may was well go all the way: permanent paid leave...for everyone.

FREE FREEE FREE!!^%$!^%#&%!!^&%!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111
She's doing a trifecta; fucking us, the economy and the democrat's election in November. hahaha
I see dee and dum have fully entered the thread.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Okay, but what do you guys think about the Democrats adding unrelated things to their version of the bill? I think it makes it look like they care more about climate change than they do about helping the working class.

If you're talking about the House bill, then yes, I agree. But I don't think the House bill is in the driver's seat. Any compromise bill that passes will likely be based on the GOP bill that they are currently negotiating in the Senate.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Game theory dictates that hostage takers don't care about the hostages. Which means we are once again mercy to the whims of the investor class & Mitch knows it. They drove it like they stole it, again, and now they want to know how much we'll pay them to pull us out of the flaming wreckage.

If "The fundamentals of the economy are strong!" wasn't a lie we wouldn't be nearly so deep in the shit.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
There should also be a condition that companies that receive bailout funds can’t make campaign contributions or fund Super PAC’s. Because that’s where the scam lies. Mnuchin is going to hand billions to Trump donors who will turn around and funnel it back into the campaign in donations. Then the campaign will pay inflated prices at Trump properties ( they got busted for pulling this crap with the Inaugural funds but I don’t know that campaign funds are subject to the same oversight.), to the personal benefit of Trump.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you're talking about the House bill, then yes, I agree. But I don't think the House bill is in the driver's seat. Any compromise bill that passes will likely be based on the GOP bill that they are currently negotiating in the Senate.
Unfortunately the House bill is in the driver's seat when it comes to the public narrative. Right now, to me, it looks like a huge miscalculation. It is easy to attack the conservative version, but having our own dingleberries makes our concerns seem hollow to John Q. Uninformed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sounds like a win-win-win for China & Russia. All going according to plan...

It's true that Trump's gross incompetence is why Putin backed him in 2016. Donnie hasn't disappointed him, either. Neither will trickle down Mitch.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Unfortunately the House bill is in the driver's seat when it comes to the public narrative. Right now, to me, it looks like a huge miscalculation. It is easy to attack the conservative version, but having our own dingleberries makes our concerns seem hollow to John Q. Uninformed.

You have a link that explains what is in the House bill? You didn't provide one in your OP.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So why does the GOP not want those things? Are they somehow bad things?
No they are all good things, to you and I. To most Americans, they are progressive wish list nonsense. Regardless, they seem way out of place in a bill like this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No they are all good things, to you and I. To most Americans, they are progressive wish list nonsense. Regardless, they seem way out of place in a bill like this.

Most Americans? Wut?

The GOP just teased those bits out of what is a broader attempt to strengthen the processes of Democracy & our faith in them. We need that. Spending the money to do it is, in truth, stimulating the economy. If the GOP doesn't want that, particularly not now when the system is under threat, why not?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Most Americans? Wut?

The GOP just teased those bits out of what is a broader attempt to strengthen the processes of Democracy & our faith in them. We need that. Spending the money to do it is, in truth, stimulating the economy. If the GOP doesn't want that, particularly not now when the system is under threat, why not?
Yes, most Americans. In case you haven't noticed, most Americans hate Democrats and by extension reflexively hate progressive policies. They actually like the policies right up until they find out Democrats like them. So, it doesn't matter if it is good policy or not. What matters is that Democrats are pushing them and it's really easy to frame that as Democrats putting their pet policy preferences above the immediate wellbeing of Americans. I mean, I think I saw somewhere something about Pelosi sneaking in language to get around the prohibition on federally funded abortion shit. Good policy? Yes! Good policy to sneak into a fucking coronavirus relief bill? Are you fucking kidding me? Lol

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Yes, most Americans. In case you haven't noticed, most Americans hate Democrats and by extension reflexively hate progressive policies. They actually like the policies right up until they find out Democrats like them. So, it doesn't matter if it is good policy or not. What matters is that Democrats are pushing them and it's really easy to frame that as Democrats putting their pet policy preferences above the immediate wellbeing of Americans. I mean, I think I saw somewhere something about Pelosi sneaking in language to get around the prohibition on federally funded abortion shit. Good policy? Yes! Good policy to sneak into a fucking coronavirus relief bill? Are you fucking kidding me? Lol

So, you want the Dems to roll over so Republican voters won't hate them so much?

• Love

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So, you want the Dems to roll over so Republican voters won't hate them so much?
Who said anything about rolling over? Is it too much to ask them to focus on the immediate needs of the current bill?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Even if its shit, dems should pass it. Dont give them any ammo AT ALL when this shit gets REALLY FUCKED UP in a week or two. Pass it with objections. But pass it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, it's funny how Dems took the HOR & several state houses in 2018 & had a plurality of votes in the 2016 presidential race because most Americans hate them. You betcha.

That bit about abortion funding is pure rightwing FUD unless you can back it up with something.

Jul 9, 2009
All you need to know about the scuttling of the Bill is this story about a typical Democrat and the Majority Whip in the House.

Dem Rep. Told Colleagues Coronavirus Bill Is ‘Tremendous Opportunity to Restructure Things to Fit Our Vision’

Reactions: Atreus21

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Asked what oversight will be done of the billions of dollars the Republicans want to give to corporations, Trump said - "I'll be the oversight."

Lol!...putting Trump in charge of this "corporate flush and slush fund " is like putting a fox in charge of a hen house. This is the same guy that defrauded a cancer charity. This greedy old man would steal pennies off a dead man's eyes.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Who said anything about rolling over? Is it too much to ask them to focus on the immediate needs of the current bill?
I'm with you on this one. I'd like to see a separate bill for relief for common people, one for corporate greed, and another for election measures.

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeh, it's funny how Dems took the HOR & several state houses in 2018 & had a plurality of votes in the 2016 presidential race because most Americans hate them. You betcha.

That bit about abortion funding is pure rightwing FUD unless you can back it up with something.
Here are some details. Obviously the claim that she is holding up funds over abortion is false. However, it seems there might be some language that could possibly be used to skirt the Hyde stuff or something, I don't have time to read it all now.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Here are some details. Obviously the claim that she is holding up funds over abortion is false. However, it seems there might be some language that could possibly be used to skirt the Hyde stuff or something, I don't have time to read it all now.
So not a nationwide roll out of baby sushi outlets? I am disappointed.