taking suggestions for noteworthy games

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
hi folks,

Since I have spent most of my time playing MMORPGs and lacked a fast computer for a while, I didn't quite get to play the hottest FPS, RTS, and newest games of all other sorts.

While my video card is a modest HD4830 (700/1000), I have a CRT so scaling to a lower rez is not an issue. What are some of games that have some significance, be it for their graphics, innovative gameplay, fun factor, or even crappiness?

Thusfar I have spent tons of time with C&C generals/ZH, COD4, FarCry1, Crysis, HL2/Counter-strike and Oblivion. I do not like anything WW2 related, but love futuristic, sci-fi, or modern (COD4 was a good one, vietnam war would work as well) setting. It doesn't have to be a FPS, I enjoy racing and top-down view games just as much. "Space sims" would work too, as long as not overly complicated and looks flashy.

The one I am playing at the moment is Fallout3, what a blast it is! :D
Games I am thinking of picking up:
Left4dead
UT3 (or whatever the latest one is in the UT franchise)
Quake Wars
FarCry2
Doom3
RA3
Race Driver GRID <- I actually have this, just gotta find it...

Feel free to add whatever you feel significant to the list. TIA and love you all!

oh btw, what's the best x-com successor if anyone cares?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Steam)
Star Wars KOTOR 1-2 if you haven't played them yet
Neverwinter Nights 1 + expansions (get the Diamond or Platinum collection cheep) + user mods like Adam Miller's Shadowlords / Dreamcatcher mega-mod-set

Some older that 2005 but all worth playing.

Dec 30, 2004
You played Portal right? That's a short game, but definitely fresh.
Also get the mod someone made...the 2d flash game ported to Portal. There's 2 mods, one sucks, the other is great (the 2d flash game port) and the guys took time to use the original voice + add stuff.

UT3 of course there is no single player but I like the multiplayer a lot (Instagib CTF, come play with us on BubbaXM2's server.

Racing-- Test Drive Unlimited was just a fun chill (albiet pretty easy) racing game. The police chases left something to be desired (not nearly as exciting or scary as they should be but I just enjoyed learning about sweet cars for the first time.

Also I hear "The World Ends With You" is a fun DS game (by Square) great story etc.
Animal Crossing was a fun N64/GC/Wii game if you haven't played it before.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Theres a lot of good games in this timeline, but lets start with some people have already suggested:
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Orange Box
Kotor 1+2 (if you haven't played them yet)
World of Goo

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
thx, I think I already have bioshock too, just never got around playing.

soccerballtux, pc games are enough to keep me busy plus pc is the only platform that I currently own.

guys, it would be a bit more helpful if you tell me why you are recommending a certain game.

hopefully I will try each and every title that was suggested here :)

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: GaryJohnson
oh btw, what's the best x-com successor if anyone cares?
UFO: Aftermath ? UFO: Aftershock ? UFO: Afterlight

No offense but those were all awful.

All the successors are just a shadow of the original, but the best one IMHO is:
UFO: Extraterrestrials

Be sure to add Bman & Coastys mods to make it playable.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I just picked up Flatout Ultimate Carnage this weekend at Gamestop ($9.99). I had played the first Flatout game a few years back and like it a lot. This one is even better. Graphics are awesome and there are options to upgrade parts as you win points (credits). It has a variety of race tracks and the circuit has quite a few races in each.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
ugh, I know this is an old thread...
but it just so happens my 4830 broke not long after the last posting here and I had other things to keep myself busy with, not much gaming aside really old stuff easy on GPUs.

I got tired of waiting and bought a 5850 just a few days ago, should show up here any time now.
That's about exactly one year worth of games that have gone unnoticed since then, which ones would you nominate worthy of spending time on?

I am definitely picking up MW2 and BF2BC. Not a huge fan of the batman comic, so count me out on the batman game. STALKER series have caught my attention, would like to try that also. Same goes for ME2. Anything else?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
nice, grats on u getting a 5850. Quake wars and doom 3 I would definitely recomend, as mentioned in OP. Doom 3 for great SP and story/remake of a classic/good Coop mods too
and Quake wars is probably the best MP teamwork FPS i have ever played, IMO. Beats BF series by light milenia IMO. Though I have heard great things about BC2, i mysefl have trouble getting into it.

MW2 is also fun, but pricey, and can get repetitive with little added support. ($15 map pack)

Also, company of heroes is worth a try many would say, I have OF, its pretty fun.

But if you havent played doom 3 or QW (or doom for that matter) GET THEM! especially doom, its free. At least the TNT and Plutonia expansions are. Qw is near free in many places as well. I have seen it as low as $4.

As an after thought, older games worth playing would be starcraft, unreal, UT99, UT2k4, and unreal 2. I am not a big fan of the latest UT, i think the original was the best. It had the cows after all :D

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Red Faction
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War + Winter Assault + Dark Crusade + Soulstorm
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II + Chaos Rising
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars + Kane's Wrath
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Borderlands
Serious Sam HD : The First Encounter
Defense Grid: The Awakening
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Crysis Warhead
Quake IV
Freespace
Freespace 2
Trine
Braid
World of Good
Plants Vs. Zombies

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
ah yes, I forgot about Quake 4 and cryis series :D

Though the Q4 multi player isnt great IMO, the SP is ok and the game is cheap now. And with a5850, u just HAVE to run crysis :D

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Dragon Age

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, get Assault on Dark Athena instead if you don't mind horrible DRM.

Portal

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
A 4830 probably wouldn't have cut it for Risen.

But now, with a 5850, I would consider it if you like RPGs.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
But if you havent played doom 3 or QW (or doom for that matter) GET THEM! especially doom, its free. At least the TNT and Plutonia expansions are. Qw is near free in many places as well. I have seen it as low as $4.

As an after thought, older games worth playing would be starcraft, unreal, UT99, UT2k4, and unreal 2. I am not a big fan of the latest UT, i think the original was the best. It had the cows after all :D

I haven't got to play doom 3 except messing around with demo machines at fry's. How did I leave out QW? :eek:

As for all those other games, I have played them all (except UT99 and unreal 2) to ad nauseam :)