Take high paying job or stay in college?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
If you can, do the type of work that you want to do....if that means staying in school then so be it.

I quit school for a high paying job.......and I regretted it....as I was constantly miserable.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: CadetLee
I would take the job, definitely. I hate school/college..heh

If you hate college, you're doing it wrong.

ebaycj

Apr 5, 2000
As bad as the economy is and as hard as it is for some people to find IT jobs, especially college grads and such, go for the job. Nothing wrong with working FT and doing school PT. $65-70k is an EXCELLENT amount of pay for someone in college and even one out of college.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
You should stay in school and get your degree. You're on a full ride and that's not gonna happen again. You have a part time job giving you experience. Chances are you won't go back, won't save the money you need to go back. Despite what someone else said the defense contractor field is volatile. Non-degreed people usually can only go so far in a lot of companies. The economy will pick up and jobs will be available when you get done with school.

Get your degree.

Well, my tuition isn't too expensive in the first place. Never more than $2000 a semester... that is with 12 credits of upper levels classes. State schools are cheap for residents! :)

As for saving, I already save $1000 a month on what I make now... I'd put away $3k a month with the new job. Hopefully in 3-4 years I could transfer out of Alaska and buy a $100k house outright with cash. My original plan was to buy a house with 20% down in 3 years.

Jugs

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Well, I won't comment on whether or not you should take the job. That's solely up to you.

However, if you DO take the job, you should absolutely consider finishing your degree a top priority. That means taking at least 1 class every semester, etc. Jobs come and go, but too many people make the mistake of starting college, leaving for one reason or another, and then they never finish it.

It's a toss up. I have a number of friends who left school with a year or two to go... and now are working full time and taking 2 classes a semester and it will have taken them a few years to get their degree. I on the other hand, stayed in school and now work next to them making a nice salary and having no school-type responsibilities to worry about. At the end of 5 years we'll probably both be in exactly the same situation. It just depends on how you can manage your time and how good you think the opportunity is. Do keep in mind that working full time and taking classes on the side is a lot of work. For me it just isn't something I wanted to deal with - I slacked off and did whatever I wanted through college, and now that I'm done I have the luxury of doing the same after work. (as opposed to having to leave work and head to class, or take a final, etc)

DON'T listen to the people that say having a degree isn't important. Even when you're 40, people will be asking you if you have a college degree when you apply for a job. And yes, it WILL make a difference. Plus while the $ is nice, I can speak from experience when I say that making $35k and being a full time college student is easily as good as making $50k and working in the real world. If you make a decent salary you can live like a king and have a cheap, fun college existance.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The main problem with this job is that it's for a defense contractor. Those types of workplaces have a track-record for layoffs. Though we're at war now, it's not a life-long job....trust me. I would give it a max of 7 years but would expect more like 3-5 before they can you. I'm not saying it will happen, I just have a lot of family that's worked for those outfits before.

As for the decision to quit school for any high-paying job. The main question is how much school do you have left? If you can only take 3 hours per semester, your original credits may expire before you can graduate. You need to sit down and plan it out....then follow through. It's not as easy as it sounds. Also, if you do get laid off from this job, think about getting another job that will pay enough to compensate for your living cost increases. (it's hard to be thrifty when you can afford all the things you want)