Take high paying job or stay in college?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm a fulltime student and I work fulltime. My current job (Network manager as a company with around 20 employees) is really flexible with my school schedule (Bachelors in Technology, I already have a 2 year AAS degree as a computer tech) and I like it, but doesn't pay well ($35k a year) and is pretty much a deadend for the future.

I've been all but offered a job with a large federal defense contractor that starts at $60-70k a year. BUT it won't be as flexible and I'll probably have to drop out of school to get the job. They offer a tution assitance program, so I could probably take a class or two a semester though (so I could potentially get my bachelors in more 4-5 years).

Would you drop out of college to persue a high paying job with a bright future? Or would you stay in school and hope to get a good job once you have a bachelors degree?

Jugs

EDIT: Please VOTE in the poll! LINK

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I would take the job.. Good money and you can start saving now to go back if you need a degree for a future position. I did a similar thing.. Had all but my thesis written and a large employer wanted to hire before I finished...Never regreted the decision and will only go back if they give me a sabatical and pay me to finish. Nows the time to take a job if you can and defese contractors never fire...Better than a union JOB IMO.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Well, a lot of College graduates would love to have a 60k-70k paying job, but others will tell you and they are right that a College Education is very important, especially if you don't have job secruity with this contractor. Not that I know anything, but since they have a tuition assistance, Id go to work for them, and try to get my Degree asap.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
take the job. all education is for is for you to land a job anyway. why not save some tuition money?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
take the job. all education is for is for you to land a job anyway. why not save some tuition money?

I'm on a 100% scholarship for all my schooling, so that is a non issue.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
id take the job now, seeing as how it pays VERY well, but more importantly because of the job security. it seems impossible to get a good job like that now... who knows about the future, and at the very least you will get experience out of it

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
What would be the differnece in pay with and without a BS?
And what time frame are you mising out on 65K every year you're in school?
And what are your future prospects in pay both with and without the BS?

If you can answer these I'm sure you can come to a decision pretty quick.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo

If you can answer these I'm sure you can come to a decision pretty quick.

(TO hell with bed, I got stuff to do! :))

Don't know, will talk to them more on Monday. At this point, I don't think there is a difference. The candidate they had in mind for this position pulled out at the last minute and they called my mom ask if I'd be interested in the job. My mom knows the wife of the guy who is in charge of the hiring and she (the wife) knows my skill level and expertise.

At this point, I'm going only 12 credits a semester with my current job. I need around 35-40 more credits for my BT.... so around 2 more years.

In my experience, degrees and certs don't mean jack. I've heard more people say they can't find work with BS degrees in computer science, etc. because they have no real world experience. I have realworld experience. To me, that sets me ahead of the pack... at least that has been my experience in the last few years by talking with my friends who never had a job through college. A couple of them are working at Home Depot because they couldn't find tech jobs without experience.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
well then I say take it... I know for some University and government positions they will require the degree no matter what but this is not your case. After taxes you looking at about 4500 a month one can easily sack away 2000 and still live pretty good if your single. CS is not my field but work experiance is everything from what I've seen in any field. You'll have 48K cash saved if all goes well and be two more years senior than if you'd stayed in school. And who says you can't go part time.. To me it's a no brainer. If you were studying to be a doctor and instead quit to take a job as a biologist I'd say your nuts but not in this case.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I guess it depends on if you're going to school for the love of the subject or just to get a job. If it's the latter, go with the new job. If it's the former, stay in school.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
First of all, you should have made a poll. Second, I would go with the job, and go to a few classes during the evening. The experience is important, and having a job during this period is great.

edit: this is coming from a guy with a B.S. already with no jobby job.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
take the job. as not even having your BS yet, and offered a $60-70K job in a bad market...of course take the job, and take a few classes on the side with their program.

this is coming from a guy 3 classes away from his BS.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
You should stay in school and get your degree. You're on a full ride and that's not gonna happen again. You have a part time job giving you experience. Chances are you won't go back, won't save the money you need to go back. Despite what someone else said the defense contractor field is volatile. Non-degreed people usually can only go so far in a lot of companies. The economy will pick up and jobs will be available when you get done with school.

Get your degree.

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would take the job and not be overly concerned with continuing my education. A job that pays that well will most likely be very demanding, and trying to juggle a new job and classes would be difficult. I think the experience will far exceed the degree at this point, and if things don't work out you can always go back to school.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I would also take the job. At any company, a bachelor's degree is a basis for career placement/advancement and it's not like: 1) you're starting low or 2) you won't be able to attain that goal, ever. 4-5 years isn't too bad.

Just make sure you can handle the potential stress at your new job while doing the class(es). Full time at both now is a good sign of your abilities, but being an admin isn't exactly stressful any more than 50% of the time.

Good luck!

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
I would take the job.. Good money and you can start saving now to go back if you need a degree for a future position. I did a similar thing.. Had all but my thesis written and a large employer wanted to hire before I finished...Never regreted the decision and will only go back if they give me a sabatical and pay me to finish. Nows the time to take a job if you can and defese contractors never fire...Better than a union JOB IMO.

i agree-esp if the last sentence is true (about job security) take the job!

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
take job & 1 or 2 classes on the side.

i think the avg pay for a bs in cs is like $45k, so 60k rocks. should you get laid off in a few years, it's excellent experience to put on your resume.

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
You said they have "all but offered the job to you"... so they havent offered the job to you? I'm going to be the black sheep and say stay in school... and if you can earn 35k a year while still going to school... that's an achievement in itself.

SeaMonki

Jan 26, 2003
Take the job! The market right now is all about experience and a degree doesnt seem much in the real world.

AdamDuritz99

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2000
Job

You should make a goal for yourself that you will still do a few classes each semester though.

peace
sean