T - 30 Hours until the world ends

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OMG

• Yes we are going over

• No a deal will be made

• We're F###ed

• Who cares? I got Obamacare, I'm good.

Results are only viewable after voting.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
OP you watch too much MSNBC. Even if no deal is made there will be no default on Thursday. If there is a default on Thursday, it would be because someone in charge got their panties in a wad and is trying to make a point.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
It's preventing Obama from implementing any of the rest of his agenda so it's all good. The admin is also too incompetent to set up the Obamacare "exchange" websites so Obamacare will get delayed for a year as well until its eventual implosion.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
OP you watch too much MSNBC. Even if no deal is made there will be no default on Thursday. If there is a default on Thursday, it would be because someone in charge got their panties in a wad and is trying to make a point.

I'm a libertarian, this blame does not touch my hands. I'm hoping to Republican party implodes, make way for real conservatives without the Bible.

BTW I know we won't, it's satire.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Zero fucks given. I can't wait for the stock bargains available in a couple days, though, if we do pass the deadline without a resolution.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Zero fucks given. I can't wait for the stock bargains available in a couple days, though, if we do pass the deadline without a resolution.

Did you cash out your investments?

That's a tough nut to swallow. A basic total abandonment of your market investments because you think the US is going to default.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Did you cash out your investments?

That's a tough nut to swallow. A basic total abandonment of your market investments because you think the US is going to default.

Hell no I didn't, I'm fully expecting to pick-up some bargains in the near future, however (provided the ceiling isn't raised and the usual suspects on Wall Street panic).

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Well I didn't either but I'm seriously debating it. I think the market dropped 600 points at the credit downgrade in 2011. This should be much worse. Why ride it out?

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Beats me. The Euro sucks and I can't imagine the RMB being ideal for anyone other than China.

I fear that the Euro will come out ahead since they have the largest GDP in the world if you count them as a unit.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
1. The current BS in washington will not cause a crash.
2. QE and artificially low interest rates for the past 5 years will cause a crash.

It's already too late to prevent the crash, so the next best thing is to attempt to time the crash and point fingers. The republicans probably thought they could get support through the shutdown then blame the inevitable crash on the democrats. Polls show that the American public are mostly against the republicans for stonewalling the debt ceiling, so the crash will be blamed on the republicans even though the crash has nothing to do with the shutdown.

It's merely a coincidence that Ben is stepping down as the fed chairman, right after the markets hit all time highs and indicators are showing signs of possible S&P reversal:
-50 day moving average has negative concavity
-50 day moving average has flattened out
-price has dropped below the supports
-MACD is showing weaker rallies at each new peak; roughly 25 in May, 19 in July, 13 in September
-Shiller PE Ratio is something like 24 right now (very high)

I think I previously predicted a crash around March or April of 2014. It's just a guess.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Well I didn't either but I'm seriously debating it. I think the market dropped 600 points at the credit downgrade in 2011. This should be much worse. Why ride it out?
The market has barely blipped down because most people realize there won't be a default.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Well a week ago people were hoping that we would solve this before the 17th. Today people are hoping we'll solve it before the default. The default will probably happen November 1st since we have a bunch of bills due that day. I wonder what we'll be saying at the end of October if we still haven't solved this. Worse yet though is what the markets are going to think.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Lets go with that for a second. How do you propose that nothing happens?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Still think a deal will be made but I just don't know how the GOP is going to manage to bring themselves to swallow their pride in order to get it done. I have trouble believing that the top Republicans are really this inept. I know their base is, I know their policies are based on bad data and logic, but for the leaders to be this catastrophically foolish? Just doesn't make any sense to me. I understand the Tea Party crazies in stupidly safe districts not giving a shit, just not the establishment GOP.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
So what happens if nothing happens?

What do you mean nothing will happen?

We will go through Oct. 17th with no deal. Aliens will invade the 19th, seeing the world weaker because one of its top countries couldn't pay a debt. November 3rd, after the resistance has scared off the aliens to go for reinforcements,(only after 50% of earth's population has been killed) God will come down and reflood the earth for a few months. Now because we are much more advanced than those biblical people, we will have most survive via ships and intelligence.

This will cause God to throw a 1/3 earth monster sized Asteroid at the planet to destroy it as punishment for avoiding his punishment for failing to pay a silly debt. However, SURPRISE we have Superman. He will just punch it into millions of tiny pieces and as they enter the atmosphere, turn into skittles, so we, as a people can taste the rainbow.

That is what will happen if nothing happens. We will taste the rainbow.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Still think a deal will be made but I just don't know how the GOP is going to manage to bring themselves to swallow their pride in order to get it done. I have trouble believing that the top Republicans are really this inept. I know their base is, I know their policies are based on bad data and logic, but for the leaders to be this catastrophically foolish? Just doesn't make any sense to me. I understand the Tea Party crazies in stupidly safe districts not giving a shit, just not the establishment GOP.

The democrats could also swallow their pride to and give in to some of the wants by the republicans. It takes 2 to create a stand off. 1 side has to budge.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I think you're looking at it from today's position and not when this started. Obama did kinda cave in all the previous showdowns. I think they expected the same thing.

Boehner really should just get the vote for the clean bill done, raise the debt ceiling, and get this over with. I'm not sure what he's waiting for. Whatever saving face measures can be done are quickly running out of time.

If they want to impress us let both sides write a balanced budget and then pass one.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The democrats could also swallow their pride to and give in to some of the wants by the republicans. It takes 2 to create a stand off. 1 side has to budge.
There are many threads explaining how foolish it would be for Dems to cave. It rewards bad behavior thus making that behavior become the new status quo. I have no doubt that the Dems will end up throwing the dogs a bone but I think even that is a very bad idea.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
There are many threads explaining how foolish it would be for Dems to cave. It rewards bad behavior thus making that behavior become the new status quo. I have no doubt that the Dems will end up throwing the dogs a bone but I think even that is a very bad idea.

And you don't believe that it isn't already pegged on both groups as bad behavior?

I mean legit, some of the things Republicans wanted should really be done. Such as the 1 year to implement obamacare. Nothing against the law, I could care less about it now. However, this is like putting out a new MMO game with no Alpha or Beta. There will be issues, bugs, and other problems no one saw coming, we should use 1 year and bring in just a few people at a time and check for issues or problems.

Yet this measure was one democrats refused to budge on to begin with. Then all hell broke loose when both sides decided "my way or the highway" and now this wont even be mentioned as most republicans have given up on that extra year to bring out O-care, and are trying to get what they can out of this. It is childish, and stupid from both sides perspectives.

This is just one big game of political chicken to see who will be the first to blink at this point.