System posts outside case but does not even power on inside.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Building a workstation with an Antec mini case - the system powers on and runs fine outside the box where I assembled it and ran memtest/prime. Screwed the motherboard into the standoffs and then attempted to power on - that worked. Installed all the drives and connectors and attempted to power on, and I get nothing. No fans, no noise, no lights.

Ripped the entire right out of the box and set it up on the motherboard box again and it works great.

So, what am I looking for? Possible shorts against the metal?

Box in question is using the following:

Antec Performance TX640B
Chaintec VNF4
3700+ Sandy
2GB Corsair VS
Twin 75GB Raptors

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Put the motherboard back into the case, and assuming it boots, plug everything in one part at a time, booting after each change, and find out what is causing it. Tedious, but it'll get the job done.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Mkay. Just did so. Board posted fine outside case. I just set the motherboard in the case and plugged in the ATX and 12v connectors, did not even screw in standoffs or go further than that. Board will not post.

Something just isn't making sense on this.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
You should screw the motherboard into the standoffs to make sure it isn't sliding off them and shorting. Make sure you dont' have any extra standoffs installed either.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Installed all six standoffs myself, they matchup the board perfectly.

I just lifted the board out of the case by hand and jumped the power, fans spun. Placed it back inside the case and screwed in the standoffs, nothing.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Look at the rear I/O shield and ensure that the springy EMI contacts are not dropping into the network jack or the USB/Firewire ports and shorting the ports, too. Watch for the top-rider style as well as the rest of them.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Look at the rear I/O shield and ensure that the springy EMI contacts are not dropping into the network jack or the USB/Firewire ports and shorting the ports, too. Watch for the top-rider style as well as the rest of them.

beat me to it mech :)

i've seen that happen a few times.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Interestingly enough, plugging in the second raptor was causing the system to stop responding until the PSU was completely disconnected and CMOS battery reset.

Not sure what the hell is up with that.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Not to be smug or anything...but...

When you installed the mobo did you make sure you used the plactic washers that are required to mount the mobo and keep shorts from hasppening...ie frame touching mobo..etc

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Usually higher end cases don't come with/utilize those washers.

Interestingly enough, plugging in the second raptor was causing the system to stop responding until the PSU was completely disconnected and CMOS battery reset.
Perhaps the second Raptor is faulty. We had a HDD (was a Caviar) catch fire on our tech bench once. System wouldn't POST and so we ran our power supply tester and determined power supply was dead. Hooked up our bench supply, turned machine on and it wouldn't POST. Hit power a few times, then HDD circuit board started smoking. Unhooked it and system POSTed fine.

Another potential reason may be your power supply not supplying enough +12v for the CPU and two Raptors (plus video?) which all draw on +12v.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Not to be smug or anything...but...

When you installed the mobo did you make sure you used the plactic washers that are required to mount the mobo and keep shorts from hasppening...ie frame touching mobo..etc

One does not use plastic washers for those mounting holes around which the mainboard has a blank ring of solder. Those mounting holes are SUPPOSED to make "frame ground" (case) contact!

I'd be surprised to see a non-ringed hole on a post-1998 mainboard. So it's no washers anywhere!

c3p0

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 2000
Maybe a weak/inadequate power supply??? Although Antec power supply's are suppose to be pretty good. If you have another one you could try swapping it out.

c3p0
:beer:

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: c3p0
Maybe a weak/inadequate power supply??? Although Antec power supply's are suppose to be pretty good. If you have another one you could try swapping it out.

c3p0
:beer:

First thing that came to mind.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Maybe your motherboard is claustrophobic !!!

Just kidding.

What does the motherboard manual say regarding using stand-off washers ?

Try tightening all screws on the CASE.

If that does not work, give Antec a call and see what they suggest.

Good luck.

superfly27

Jun 25, 2005

Are those metal thingys supposed to touch those components or not? I bent back all the tiny metal thingys on my Asus A7V600-X shield because I thought that's the way they went.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: superfly27

Are those metal thingys supposed to touch those components or not? I bent back all the tiny metal thingys on my Asus A7V600-X shield because I thought that's the way they went.
They're there to keep the gaps around the ports broken up into lots of little gaps, to minimize electromagnetic interference from getting outside the case. So they should touch, but only in the proper places of course... the rear face of the port blocks, or the top or side faces inside the case. The "top rider" type loves to get hooked right in the LAN port, and it's easy to overlook that, so that's why I mentioned them especially.