Sword Lovers - Show off your steel!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Personally, I'd like to get a real, functional sword and learn how to use it properly. It just seems cool.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Jehovah
Ah, my friend, you underestimate the power of bokken (wooden swords) . . . there are several accounts of heroes (like Miyamoto Musashi(real person who actually did this), or other heroes mentioned in fictional stories) using bokken to kill opponents armed with a live bladed weapon . . . obviously you've never been hit by a bokken/escrima stick/shinai to know . . .. Only if you knew . . ..

And yeah, that TV stuff is complete crap. Bruce-Lee-drinking-Pepsi crap.

Oh no, I dont underestimate there effectiveness. Not eveyr weapon has to be bladed to be deadly. Theres many non pointy / sharp weapons that'll just have you fvsked up 16 ways to Tuesday in the hands of a skilled warrior. The cane is the first that comes to mind, good God if someone is trained in the cane he's gonna make yuu look like Charlie Chaplin drunk. Just throw and toss and whirl ya all around.
But, when your just starting the thought of a whack from a "club" versus the whack from a sharp peice of metal instills a bit more patience.
Also, and more to the point, we had no idea where (Or even knowledge of) the bokken. I think our most painful sessions came when we found whips. I hated the whip. That sumanbish STUNG!! Badly!!

Sometimes I wonder how the hell I made it out of high school..... :confused:

The funniest story I think I saw was when two of my friends were fighting with swords. His parents had on of those 8 foot aluminum windmills in the yard. Well, my friend in a fit of rage just lunged and swung like all hell to kill my other freind. He (unknowing of the windmill behind him) sidestepped and prepared to block, which put the windmill in the path of the sword. Damned if my rage filled friend didnt just cut half way through the leg of the windmill (More tore then cut) and knocked the windmill over. I was laughin my ass off the whole time, but wow my friend was all pissed that the windmill was screwed up.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Cyberian
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
my trio
take your pick
the dragon around the guard
the samurai on the hilt
the samurai on the butt of the hilt

<edit> CRAP. The DNS propagation hasn't gone through on my domain yet. I made a few changes. Try the links tomorrow.

Remind me never to steal one of your goats or impregnate your slaves...

WTF is that supposed to mean? And where the hell did it come from? :| Ass.
Jeeezus, Nik!

You posted links to what appear to be lethal weapons and you question:
"Remind me never to steal one of your goats or impregnate your slaves..."
(which would indicate that that the alleged respondant was afraid of what a sword wielding FFMCobalt might do)

Unwind a little.

WHOAH tiger...I was just shocked by thesword.....basically they would keep me away from your stuff

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I don't particularly care for the fantasy stuff, but I do have a pretty realistic, if ornate, rapier as well as a long sword.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
I have a 17th century Tokugawa Katana. I twas aquired by one of my ancestors back in the early 1700s and has been passed down from generation to generation. It's almost 400 years old and it's still sharp as hell.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I have no reason to own a sword. I'm not big on expensive decorations, and a sword is pretty useless as a weapon.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd love to collect some, but I can't bring myself to part with that kinda money all at once on something that's going to hang on the wall.

amish

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I own a sword.

I actually know how to use it very well.

A good friend made the sword for me. I asked that it be "blunt" (not sharpened to a fine edge, but still an edge) to reduce the chances of accidents. I tested the sword out, it cut into an oil barrel no problem even without a real edge.

For the most part, swords are just an expensive decoration. I got tons of use out of mine, but I have a hobby that involves dressing in "period" clothes so I have a reason for carrying a sword around with me. I've known other people over the years who have spent tons of money on swords just to hang them on their wall.

I recommend martial arts training or gun training over learning how to use a sword as it isn't all that practical.

If you're interested in a more Western form of sword fighting (not quite fencing, but there is a lot of fencing here as well), find the local chapter of the SCA.

Michael

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: dtyn
I have a 17th century Tokugawa Katana. I twas aquired by one of my ancestors back in the early 1700s and has been passed down from generation to generation. It's almost 400 years old and it's still sharp as hell.
:Q

Have any pictures?

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Personally, I'd like to get a real, functional sword and learn how to use it properly. It just seems cool.
First rule of thumb when learning how to use any sword. Always get an unsharpened blunted practice sword of the same length, weight, and balance as the one you plan to use. Trust me because you'll find that until you get really good with it, you'll be hitting yourself more than you realize. Believe me, i've got the cuts and sliced clothing to prove that. :Q

My morning katas with the sword are done with a special practice sword so I can concentrate on the kata rather than whether or not I'm gonna lop off something important. :Q Plus with no fear of cutting yourself, I've found out you tend to be more willing to push yourself and you gain in proficiency a lot faster so that when you get to using the real thing you're less likely to actually harm yourself. :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
my trio
take your pick
the samurai on the hilt

<edit> CRAP. The DNS propagation hasn't gone through on my domain yet. I made a few changes. Try the links tomorrow.

Jeeezus, Nik!

(which would indicate that that the alleged respondant was afraid of what a sword wielding FFMCobalt might do)

Unwind a little.

WHOAH tiger...I was just shocked by thesword.....basically they would keep me away from your stuff

I was more offended at the allegations of me being some kind of hick or dispicable slave owner.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: rudder
I prefer one of these bad boys.
Hey, that's one of Rayden's attacks. Mine is much better. Raiden would just throw a moutain as soon as he threw that lightning bolt.

And yes. Rayden is different than Raiden although everyone seems to get them confused. Rayden is MK. Raiden comes from ancient chinese mythology. Whereas Rayden is a thunder god, Raiden is a lord in the upper levels of the gods, I think he's like #3 in the ladder of power.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
my trio
take your pick
the samurai on the hilt

Jeeezus, Nik!

Unwind a little.

I was more offended at the allegations of me being some kind of hick or dispicable slave owner.

WTF

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
Originally posted by: rudder
I prefer one of these bad boys.
Hey, that's one of Rayden's attacks. Mine is much better. Raiden would just throw a moutain as soon as he threw that lightning bolt.

And yes. Rayden is different than Raiden although everyone seems to get them confused. Rayden is MK. Raiden comes from ancient chinese mythology. Whereas Rayden is a thunder god, Raiden is a lord in the upper levels of the gods, I think he's like #3 in the ladder of power.

Pshhhhh - #3? That's pitifully weak! Now, MY guy, on the other hand . . . ;)

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: dtyn
:Q

Have any pictures?

Yea, I'll post them up tomorrow morning. I have to steal..err, aquire a digicam.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
I have two: one is a decorative sword I bought from El Bermejo in Toledo, Spain (the sword capitol of Europe).
The other one is actually useable. That would be the epee I use for fencing.

Sorry guys, no pics, since I don't have a digital camera (I use B&W on an SLR).

Edit: whaddya know, I found a pic. It's number 366, the second from the left. It's the Alfonso X.

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002

Swords are my favorite hobby, however. i cant afford to purcahse them yet. I ve always wanted to learn how to use sword....

If u guys have some good links for sword collection or swordfighting lesson, please post it here....

thanks...

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
my trio
take your pick
the samurai on the hilt

Jeeezus, Nik!

Unwind a little.

Well, that's honorable of you. Really.

However, they weren't allegations - it was a jest, a [/b]joke[/b]

You could have at least asked why he said that and whether it was joke or whether he was truly being an ass - rather than call him an ass right off the bat.