Sword Coast - from the designers of Dragon Age Origins

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
My problem is the limitations it has. Very few classes to start with, which screams to me that I'll have to pay extra $ for each class (no druids or bards at launch), same with races.
Then there's the problem of casters, which are very different from casters in D&D except maybe for sharing the name of some spells.

It honestly feels like they had an engine for a game, then they sold it to WoTC to put the D&D name on it, so instead of the engine being made for D&D rules, D&D rules had to be changed for the engine.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Typo? Fifth edition came out last year, I don't think they're confident they can sell a new version every year just yet...

Dunno, I listened to a video that I thought said they were doing 6e. Sounded like they were developing it hand in hand with them.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
They're using 6th edition which is nothing like what most of us grew up playing (CRPGs or paper).

It's 5th edition. It's not that far off from the old-school version of the game. 4th edition was very different, and a big failure apparently, so with 5th edition they went back to a lot of old-school concepts. There are some modern ideas mixed in, and the game certainly plays different compared to 1st or 2nd edition, but I think it's closer to 2nd edition overall than any other edition of the game.

This is me speaking as a player of D&D, not someone with inside knowledge of the Sword Coast game... for all I know Sword Coast may be running a corrupted version of the rules that is nothing like the P&P game.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It was less than $24 on Greenmangaming so i gave it a try, looks interesting

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Is there a website or a video somewhere that can explain the D&D rules as they relate to CRPGs? I'd like to better understand what that actually means in terms of gameplay vs. something like a party-based action RPG (e.g. Dungeon Siege 1 or 2). I don't expect them to be the same, so understanding the differences would be really helpful in terms of deciding if this (or any) D&D based game is actually appealing.

Or is the easiest way to "get it" just to read the rules book?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is there a website or a video somewhere that can explain the D&D rules as they relate to CRPGs? I'd like to better understand what that actually means in terms of gameplay vs. something like a party-based action RPG (e.g. Dungeon Siege 1 or 2). I don't expect them to be the same, so understanding the differences would be really helpful in terms of deciding if this (or any) D&D based game is actually appealing.

Or is the easiest way to "get it" just to read the rules book?

In 1992 I started with tabletop D&D. Its nice to know the book rules if you wanna play Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale, but its NOT NECESSARY!

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
In 1992 I started with tabletop D&D. Its nice to know the book rules if you wanna play Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale, but its NOT NECESSARY!

Yeah I've dabbled in BG but never really got into it (Android isn't the right platform IMO, and I didn't want to buy it more than once). I get that it isn't necessary but still think it would help me out. I'd rather understand what I'm playing thoroughly as I'm getting settled into the game. Just a personal preference.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I've dabbled in BG but never really got into it (Android isn't the right platform IMO, and I didn't want to buy it more than once). I get that it isn't necessary but still think it would help me out. I'd rather understand what I'm playing thoroughly as I'm getting settled into the game. Just a personal preference.

Well, the Windows versions of BG1 and 2 have excellent tutorials, but most people think they dont need to use them. Do they have tutorials on the Android versions?

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
5th Edition was created in mind for crpg and mmos style play. Neverwinter is based on 5th rules. 6e; which is still being created and from what I've tested is fairly big throwback to earlier games.

Basically 6e *or whatever they will call it* taken the best of dnd; pathfinder *which really should of been fourth edition* and a couple other games and combined them into something that really works.

I'm going to take a look at preordering this if I can find it cheap.....and get others too :D

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
My problem with D&D after 3rd edition (i.e. 4 and 5) is that I can't stomach the concept of an 8 hour rest healing all your injuries. If you have 100 max hit points, and go to bed with 1, to me that means you have several broken bones, your internal organs are barely holding together and one of your eyes is out of its socket. Sleep 8 hours and now you're good as new? Sorry, I just can't.

Part of the deal in D&D when I played it was to plan ahead, to be mindful of the long run. But this 'rest to full' mechanics just feels too CRPG/MMO to me.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
My problem with D&D after 3rd edition (i.e. 4 and 5) is that I can't stomach the concept of an 8 hour rest healing all your injuries. If you have 100 max hit points, and go to bed with 1, to me that means you have several broken bones, your internal organs are barely holding together and one of your eyes is out of its socket. Sleep 8 hours and now you're good as new? Sorry, I just can't.

Part of the deal in D&D when I played it was to plan ahead, to be mindful of the long run. But this 'rest to full' mechanics just feels too CRPG/MMO to me.

We don't talk about 4th ;) 5th well as I said was created with crpgs and mmos in mind; that's why Neverwinter uses it; and fairly well....

6th or whatever it will be.....takes the best from other dnds; things that worked well; and discards the stuff that didn't and stuff from things like pathfinder *again should of been 4th edition*

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Do what we did in 2E... house rule whatever you don't like :D

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It's pretty underwhelming so far, Neverwinter was more fun and it was free...

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It's pretty underwhelming so far, Neverwinter was more fun and it was free...

They shouldn't be very comparable, as one is an MMO, and one a singleplayer game. This should have more of a story driven experience...is that not the case?

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
got to say this thing is unplayable for me in it's current state. resolution not working with 1680x1050, cant run in full screen without menus being all messed up.

I also was running a dungeon ( in a small window because cant run full screen ) then it dropped to like 2 fps.

I dunno...I wasn't like anxiously looking forward to this it snuck up on me. But any big RPG titles I am sucker for buying.

If they fix these issues I can re-evaluate but right now...not feeling warm and fuzzy.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
They shouldn't be very comparable, as one is an MMO, and one a singleplayer game. This should have more of a story driven experience...is that not the case?

It plays like an ARPG, you can play solo with hirelings(?) or coop

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Meaning what exactly? Tactics aren't as important as you're hoping? Not turn-based? Not deep enough strategy? Many huge mobs of enemies at once?

There's some use of tactics, you gotta use search function while walking around unexplored parts to find traps/hidden doors, there aren't a lot of mobs but the ones that are there are tough, you can pause the game play if that's what was selected by the game creator. You spend most of the time waiting for your abilities to pop back. It didn't feel finished, was pretty laggy as well

/maybe not D3ish, more like the combat in Pillars of Eternity?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Another pre-release weekend....game seems to be running a lot better now.

Last edited: