Sword Coast - from the designers of Dragon Age Origins

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Oh hell yeah. This looks great to me.....

But who knows how good the story will be (the key element to all great RPGs).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Looks like its focused on being a tool to play digital versions of dnd with a GM and all. Wonder how much effort will be spent on single player?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Looks like its focused on being a tool to play digital versions of dnd with a GM and all. Wonder how much effort will be spent on single player?

Yeah, a bit like NWN. I'm hoping the campaign it comes with is a good one though. The NWN one was good.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I thought it looked more like the campaign was the focus, since they only show the DM feature for a few seconds in the trailer. We shall have to wait and see though.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If this is a modern NWN I will be extremely happy. I played so many different, exceptionally made custom stories and campaigns in NWN.

Feb 4, 2009
Could be good it also could be D&D lite, I bet there will be a boatload of DLC for different environments.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Wow, I really like the looks of this! The feel and atmosphere of everything really give off the same vibe that BG1 and BG2 did in my opinion. This is looks like what I was hoping BG enhanced was going to become.. new engine...

DnD rules as well! This is what I want! Let's hope it's not a flop and the the expansion packs keep on rolling. Not DLC... Expansion packs. I want the 90's back damnit! Where are my rollerblades?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
OMG... Baldurs Gate with fancy graphics!!

My free time shall be destroyed.

Dark Alliance wasn't fancy?

I don't think the game will be anything like NWN, this looks like its based more like acting out the motions of the card game. You have a GM that controls things, and the four other players are along for the ride.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Another tired clichéd 1995 era "RPG" complete with trite questing, generic stock fantasy tropes (taverns with ale! deep dark dungeons! good vs evil!) and party mechanics that were tired in 2001. Plus don't forget the mandatory notepad to keep track plus the 200 page manual and 300 page ruleset. Try explaining this to today's generation of gamers and you'll hear crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Another tired clichéd 1995 era "RPG" complete with trite questing, generic stock fantasy tropes (taverns with ale! deep dark dungeons! good vs evil!) and party mechanics that were tired in 2001.
If that's how it is and if it plays like a "true to form" NWN reboot, then I'll be utterly delighted. Nothing as fake as "contrarian for the sake of it artificial trendiness, stand around all day in flood-lit dungeons & non-alcoholic taverns because it deems itself too posh to have objective based quests, anti-trope trope" RPG... :D NWN had some great quests beyond killing orcs & dragons (
time-shifting Creator Ruins, childless village of Charwood frozen in time awaiting a judge to investigate (where more than one party was guilty), bi-polar world trapped within an invertible Snow Globe, SoU shadow realm, HOTU Zorvak'mur, HOTU Cania, etc
), with also the right balance between non-linear gameplay inside linear chapter progression that kept the plot moving without feeling "rail-roady". Not to mention the plethora of epic community modules it spawned off (Aielund Saga, etc). Still replaying & lovin' those "tired" +15 year old isometric D&D RPG's today that got so many things right without even trying. :thumbsup:

Try explaining this to today's generation of gamers and you'll hear crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling.
Ah, but that is that a problem with the game or the gamer? :biggrin:

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Want. NWN is fine, but gimme back a large party to command! My other bucketlist item would be to have "Temple of Elemental Evil" source given away for more modules to be created. I'd love to have a party of high level characters with elite baddies to kill!

With this, Pillars, and Torment coming, (not to mention Witcher3 and whatever else...) my limited free time is officially booked for the year! I still haven't had a chance to finish Wasteland!

Speaking as an old D&D nerd, raised on Gold Box games, I'd be glad to see the D&D world resurge!

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Damn that looks like a huge juicy t-bone from the eyes of a rescued castaway...

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
If that's how it is and if it plays like a "true to form" NWN reboot, then I'll be utterly delighted. Nothing as fake as "contrarian for the sake of it artificial trendiness, stand around all day in flood-lit dungeons & non-alcoholic taverns because it deems itself too posh to have objective based quests, anti-trope trope" RPG... :D NWN had some great quests beyond killing orcs & dragons (
time-shifting Creator Ruins, childless village of Charwood frozen in time awaiting a judge to investigate (where more than one party was guilty), bi-polar world trapped within an invertible Snow Globe, SoU shadow realm, HOTU Zorvak'mur, HOTU Cania, etc
), with also the right balance between non-linear gameplay inside linear chapter progression that kept the plot moving without feeling "rail-roady". Not to mention the plethora of epic community modules it spawned off (Aielund Saga, etc). Still replaying & lovin' those "tired" +15 year old isometric D&D RPG's today that got so many things right without even trying. :thumbsup:

Ah, but that is that a problem with the game or the gamer? :biggrin:

Not that anyone cares, but I endorse this post 1000%!

Kids these days drink Monster. They have no appreciation for the awesomeness that original formula Coca-Cola is......their loss.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Could be good it also could be D&D lite, I bet there will be a boatload of DLC for different environments.
Plus it starts with only 6 classes, so expect a DLC for each class afterwards. I wonder if everybody in the group would need to have the 'monk DLC' or just the player who wants to play a monk. I hope it's like Paradox Strategy games, only the host of the game needs the DLCs.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Eh, it looks alright. Only up to four players is kind of a bummer and takes away from a lot of what made NWN great imo. I won't be surprised if it turns out like more of a Diablo clone than anything else though.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Another tired clichéd 1995 era "RPG" complete with trite questing, generic stock fantasy tropes (taverns with ale! deep dark dungeons! good vs evil!) and party mechanics that were tired in 2001. Plus don't forget the mandatory notepad to keep track plus the 200 page manual and 300 page ruleset. Try explaining this to today's generation of gamers and you'll hear crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling.

Sorry classic RPG games are not your forte. There are plenty of mobile 'freemium' games that can satisify your needs.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Eh, it looks alright. Only up to four players is kind of a bummer and takes away from a lot of what made NWN great imo. I won't be surprised if it turns out like more of a Diablo clone than anything else though.

To each his own.

Personally, the fact this has a mp component is a bummer. I'd much rather have the devs focusing on a truly amazing sp experience (like DA:O, BG, IWD, etc.) than wasting time on mp and dungeon master stuff.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Not that anyone cares, but I endorse this post 1000%!

Kids these days drink Monster. They have no appreciation for the awesomeness that original formula Coca-Cola is......their loss.

Booo. Pepsi for life.

Back on topic, I'm getting a little mixed up in my games. So we're getting Sword Coast, Pillars of Eternity, AND a new Bulder's gate?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not and we're getting all three!