Switching between 120Hz and 60Hz monitors

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Need some input from multi-monitor users who happen to have mixed refresh rate monitors.

So, I'm planning on buying a 120Hz monitor. I already own two 60Hz displays but I would get rid of one of them. So, I'd use a 120Hz and a 60Hz monitor. Both would be set to 1920x1080.

I don't want to use them at the same time but I want to be able to switch between them without any hassle (meaning that I don't want to fiddle with refresh rate settings between switchings).

Currently, with the two 60Hz displays, I can seamlessly switch between them by pressing [WindowsKey + P] and choosing the monitor of my liking. Can this be done when there's a 120Hz and a 60Hz monitor hooked to the video card?

I have an AMD card (if that matters).

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Why have 2 monitors if you only use one at a time? Seems like an odd usage case :p

Larnz

Dec 15, 2010
^ Agreed, I love extended desktop and couldn't live without it.

What is the reasoning for using the monitors one at a time? Couldn't you just do with the one monitor if thats the case?

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I use the configuration questioned by the OP and switching between them works just fine.

This is using a GTX 580 but I do use them in extended desktop.

If I download something over night to save power on my GPU I use Windows Key + P and choose single monitor. It turns off my 30" 60Hz panel and leaves only the 120Hz 23" panel active as this is the primary display. The refresh rate stays at 120hz and I don't have to fiddle with any settings. When I want to resume use of the 30" I hit Windows Key + P and choose extend displays, it kicks the 30" back in and everything starts working as normal.

I don't have to change any refresh rate settings.

Hope this answers your question.

HURRIC4NE

Apr 17, 2012
why not have 3 moniters? and have the 120hz in the middle and have a EYEFINITY! (idk if im right lol) experience?

also you should be able to change the refresh rate on the 120hz to 60hz so your eyes dont bleed lol

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
Be interested to know which 120 monitor you got and why you picked it?

Also like others have said why not use all the monitors?