Switch keeps locking up, even after replacing it

Modify_inc

Oct 13, 2015
I have 9 devices connected to my 16-port switch, including my laptop for testing. The switch then connects directly to my router about two feet from it. The problem is the switch will lock up or cause all my devices connected to it to lose network connectivity. This is verified by me continuously pinging the internet from my laptop while connected to the switch, plus I get the dreaded yellow exclamation mark on my network icon. When this happens, I can power cycle the switch and everything starts working again, BUT, within 1 to 2 mins, it will do it again.

To troubleshoot, I have connected each device separately to the switch to isolate which device or cable could be causing the issue. Shockingly, I found 6 of the 9 devices would cause the switch to fail or hang. Only 3 devices work without issue: my test laptop, and two credit card machines. So, before you say it must be the 6 devices and/or their network cables, these same devices and cables work just fine when connected directly to the router. They never lose internet or lock up the router; it’s only when any one of those 6 devices are connected to the switch, does the switch lock up. Also, what would be the chance I have 6 faulty devices or cables at the same time, but then they couldn’t be failing if they work fine in the router.

Anyhow, I figured it was likely a faulty switch, so I swapped it out, even using a different brand. Same issue, so I swapped the router, even used a different brand, and still also the same problem. I just don’t know, I’m really scratching my head on this one. Any suggestions or thoughts?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Which switch(es) are being used here? Almost sounds like a managed vs. unmanaged issue.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Download and run the Portable version of this App (free up to 10 devices).

Get a list of what is connected and what the IPs are!

:cool:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
What are the 6 devices that cause problems if you plug any one of them in? If the switch is locking up, my first suspicion would be a broadcast storm.