Surround Receiver Bricked

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
So my in-laws bought me a cheap surround system a few years back, and it appears something within the receiver has fried—it can no longer communicate with any devices and is behaving super erratically; it also sounds like it may self-destruct at times. It's out of warranty, and most of the reviews have stated these issues are common and that this isn't exactly a great receiver:

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get a decent cheap surround receiver, or what brands/models are better? I really don't need anything fancy because I'm just hooking it up to my PS4. I don't need a blu ray player, blutooth, or anything like that. I just need something to output surround sound from the PS4 to the speakers (which hopefully and probably are still fine).

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks. I'm considering the Onkyo TRX-393. It seems to have all of the features I want.

The subwoofer I currently have is a small unpowered one that uses a speaker wire connection. If I get a subwoofer to speaker wire converter, will that work OK with this receiver? I will likely buy a powered subwoofer at a later point, but I'm not ready to drop the cash for that yet.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks. I'm considering the Onkyo TRX-393. It seems to have all of the features I want.

The subwoofer I currently have is a small unpowered one that uses a speaker wire connection. If I get a subwoofer to speaker wire converter, will that work OK with this receiver? I will likely buy a powered subwoofer at a later point, but I'm not ready to drop the cash for that yet.

No I’m afraid that won’t work. I haven’t seen info on the TRX-393, but I’m sure it won’t have power for a sub.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Hmm, bummer. Well I suppose I need to factor in the cost of a new subwoofer as well.

I've no experience with amping a sub, but maybe you could just buy a subwoofer amp and hook it up between the receiver and the subwoofer? Though new subs that would probably outperform the samsung one can be had for <$100 so an amp might not be worth it.
note: It's probably greatly exaggerating the wattage, but the samsung htj5500w receiver claims 165-170W output @ 3Ω per speaker and for the sub...

$42

$25 w/o power supply (12-24V 4A+) (their suggested power brick is $16.50)

$36+ 7 shipping. (comes with a 12v 3A power brick, so 36W stock output) 2.1 amp so you could use it for your computer or something else later! hah

-----
some budget subwoofers
note: Based on the 10"x12"x10" dimensions on the samsung, I'm going to guess it's an 8" subwoofer (driver/woofer size).

jamo sub 210 8" $89

monoprice's normal 8", 10", and 12" budget subs are out of stock ($65-100) link for reference
but they have a slim 8" low profile subwoofer for $113

polk psw10 $129

and some partsexpress subs sorted by lowest price

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I've no experience with amping a sub, but maybe you could just buy a subwoofer amp and hook it up between the receiver and the subwoofer? Though new subs that would probably outperform the samsung one can be had for <$100 so an amp might not be worth it.
note: It's probably greatly exaggerating the wattage, but the samsung htj5500w receiver claims 165-170W output @ 3Ω per speaker and for the sub...

$42

$25 w/o power supply (12-24V 4A+) (their suggested power brick is $16.50)

$36+ 7 shipping. (comes with a 12v 3A power brick, so 36W stock output) 2.1 amp so you could use it for your computer or something else later! hah

-----
some budget subwoofers
note: Based on the 10"x12"x10" dimensions on the samsung, I'm going to guess it's an 8" subwoofer (driver/woofer size).

jamo sub 210 8" $89

monoprice's normal 8", 10", and 12" budget subs are out of stock ($65-100) link for reference
but they have a slim 8" low profile subwoofer for $113

polk psw10 $129

and some partsexpress subs sorted by lowest price

This is all good to know. Thank you for your help. I may just bite the bullet and buy one of those subwoofers.

You could always check Circuit City.....

They don't have a physical location anywhere near me (out in the sticks), but I'll check and see if they have anything that can be delivered.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
So I ended up ordering a Sony STR-DH790 with a new 10" subwoofer.

Everything is working correctly, but I noticed that the power transformer was loose and would bang against the enclosure when I was installing the receiver.

I this normal for a receiver, or is this likely damage caused by shipping?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
So I ended up ordering a Sony STR-DH790 with a new 10" subwoofer.

Everything is working correctly, but I noticed that the power transformer was loose and would bang against the enclosure when I was installing the receiver.

I this normal for a receiver, or is this likely damage caused by shipping?
Inside the receiver? If so, that's not normal at all, and you should return it.

Reactions: Meghan54

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
as far as hooking up ur sub, and not knowing what it is or its inputs, you can always run a wire from front right, or left to it till you can get another sub, and I highly recommend a BIC sub off Amazon, best bang for buck, IMO of course.