Supreme Court Divided on Hobby Lobby and birth control issue

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
Why do people even respond to obvious idiots like him?

LOL at Mcowned. You're a coward who calls for a revolution against the rich when they would rightfully kick your leftist ass.

Bring your rich ass to my face and see how much of a coward I am.

I post my name and where I live while you hide behind a monitor.

Who's the coward dipshit?

Apr 27, 2012

Originally Posted by dmcowen674

Bring your rich ass to my face and see how much of a coward I am.

I post my name and where I live while you hide behind a monitor.

Who's the coward dipshit?

LOL! I never knew I was rich. Good luck with your revolution you nutjob.

Feb 4, 2009
Or the employer can pay them a certain amount (voucher)and tell them it's to be used to buy insurance of their choice on the exchange, the employer doesn't tell them what insurance they can or can't have, and the employee is not discriminated against since they choose the coverage and insurance they want, problem solved.

To HL this is really about ACA/Obama care

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
To HL this is really about ACA/Obama care and I suspect the fact that a black man is President. Giving money to buy on an exchange changes neither of these.

ACA/Obama care perhaps, but don't go throwing around accusations of racism lightly without evidence or else your no different than those that suspect people of being criminals because of their race.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Why is hobby lobby not making the argument that paying for drugs to treat or prevent diabetes or high cholesterol promotes/enables/supports obesity and sloth?

Or paying for anti-HIV medications promotes sexual sins and drug use?

You could easily tie in sin to an overwhelming majority of medical problems. Should hobby lobby be able to do that? Its easy to get on the abortion bandwagon about undue burderns and etc, but think think more practically about the implications of such logic.

cuafpr

Nov 5, 2009
It doesn't matter, there are no religions recognized by the Government. So someone just needs to state that.
Again to me the real question is can a corporation have a religious belief?

just a note to say many many religions are recognized by the Gov't, it actually has to be to be eligible to be on Dog Tags (or did as of 2007), and to be on federal tombstones etc....

as for the many questions here a private company can very well have any type of belief a public one cant. my 2 copper.

Apr 27, 2012
You two would probably be the bestest of buddies if you just sat down and smoked a blunt and watched workaholics together.

I doubt it. The guy is a leftist nutjob.

Why is hobby lobby not making the argument that paying for drugs to treat or prevent diabetes or high cholesterol promotes/enables/supports obesity and sloth?

Or paying for anti-HIV medications promotes sexual sins and drug use?

You could easily tie in sin to an overwhelming majority of medical problems. Should hobby lobby be able to do that? Its easy to get on the abortion bandwagon about undue burderns and etc, but think think more practically about the implications of such logic.

Because those issues don't force them to violate their religion. They wouldn't dare do this to the other religions.

parkhua

Apr 5, 2014
I'm not surprised that the Supreme Court is divided on this issue either. I'm not sure why Hobby Lobby's argument that paying for birth control and contraceptives is encroaching on their religious freedom is standing. If you ask me, they're encroaching on the religious freedom of their employees by not allowing them to have access to birth control, if they so choose to use it. Birth control is not just used for preventing conception, it is also used to manage other things, such as menstrual cramps and at times, ovarian cysts. Hobby Lobby is not only taking away the religious freedom of their employees with this lawsuit, but they are limiting the people that can't possibly be employed by them. If this decision goes through, only those who believe in not having access to contraception will feel comfortable in that work environment. I don't feel that is right.

There is one question that your post leaves me with: What pointed questions are you referring to? Also, I do not think it was necessary to quote Hitler. There are some men who have very pointed opinions on this issue, even though it mostly affects women. To me, that quote from Hitler says that men whose wives are suffering from things like ovarian cysts, that birth control helps to reduce the pain, have no concern for this issue.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Are the five Catholic men on the court going to vote against women's access to affordable contraception? Is the Pope Catholic?
Looks like Thomas is following the "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt" approach again.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Are the five Catholic men on the court going to vote against women's access to affordable contraception? Is the Pope Catholic?
Looks like Thomas is following the "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt" approach again.

Considering its available for <$10/month at Walmart and Target without insurance the answer to that is a big nope.

Perhaps what you meant to say was: "vote against women getting men to pay for their "free" contraception"?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Considering its available for <$10/month at Walmart and Target without insurance the answer to that is a big nope.

Perhaps what you meant to say was: "vote against women getting men to pay for their "free" contraception"?

IUD, including doctor's appointment to insert it, is $10 at Walmart?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
BTW, Hobby Lobby covered contraception for years, and didn't even know or care about it. It's only after ObamaCare passed and someone mentioned it to them that they became outraged at it and removed it from their plans.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
IUD, including doctor's appointment to insert it, is $10 at Walmart?

Lets see what you said:
Are the five Catholic men on the court going to vote against women's access to affordable contraception?

You clearly said contraception not IUD. Good day sir

BTW, Hobby Lobby covered contraception for years, and didn't even know or care about it. It's only after ObamaCare passed and someone mentioned it to them that they became outraged at it and removed it from their plans.

So kinda like the whole Mozilla CEO thing huh? ;)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Lets see what you said:

IUD is a method of contraception that Hobby Lobby objects to. The pill is not available without a prescription from a doctor either, last I checked.
Good day sir.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I doubt it. The guy is a leftist nutjob.

Because those issues don't force them to violate their religion. They wouldn't dare do this to the other religions.

Sounds like Mr. "war on christianity" needs to actually educate himself on what they believe before he continues to defend them so vigorously.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Lets see what you said:

Hey, moron, they're specifically objecting to IUD in the suit. Which is what we're all talking about here. Please, try to keep up or just let the adults talk. 'kay?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Hey, moron, they're specifically objecting to IUD in the suit. Which is what we're all talking about here. Please, try to keep up or just let the adults talk. 'kay?

So then why was he trying to frame it as an issue of men voting against women having affordable access to presumably ALL contraceptive:
Are the five Catholic men on the court going to vote against women's access to affordable contraception?

Instead of access to IUDs?

I think we both know the answer to that.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
So then why was he trying to frame it as an issue of men voting against women having affordable access to presumably ALL contraceptive:

Instead of access to IUDs?

I think we both know the answer to that.

Hobby Lobby's objections to certain forms of birth control is so strange and different that there isn't a word or phrase for the special type of birth control that they specifically object to. IUD's are one of the forms of birth control that Hobby Lobby objects to, but isn't the only form of birth control they object to. Lacking a phrase to use, people will use various phrases that aren't completely accurate. You're splitting hairs over a definition that doesn't exist.

For the purpose of this thread and to avoid bogging down into technical details, I think we should agree that when talking about birth control in this thread we agree that we're talking about the strange and random list of birth control that Hobby Lobby specifically objects to.

Feb 4, 2009
I can explain this easily, please note I do not support it. HL wants to follow the Catholic belief that once sperm & egg combine that is a baby. Hence IUD's & morning after pills effectively abort the baby. People will correctly state that its common for sperm & egg to combine and still not become a baby because the uterus is not ready or any other reason but that is Gods will not man or woman interfering with the baby. This is also why real hard core Catholic's have shunned any form of birth control. Its an endless rabbit hole that anyone can get stuck in.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Hobby Lobby's objections to certain forms of birth control is so strange and different that there isn't a word or phrase for the special type of birth control that they specifically object to. IUD's are one of the forms of birth control that Hobby Lobby objects to, but isn't the only form of birth control they object to. Lacking a phrase to use, people will use various phrases that aren't completely accurate. You're splitting hairs over a definition that doesn't exist.

For the purpose of this thread and to avoid bogging down into technical details, I think we should agree that when talking about birth control in this thread we agree that we're talking about the strange and random list of birth control that Hobby Lobby specifically objects to.

Wrong. Lets look at what he said:

The clear implication is ALL contraception. While the the issue is over a limited subset of contraception. This is not "splitting hairs". It is about fundamental dishonesty in order to make it look like there is a "war on women".

Because obviously if women can't get men to provide them with whatever BC they want that constitutes a war on them :hmm: