Super Bowl LIII

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Props to the TCS for a great ad:

ZmHnxnl.jpg
LOLOL!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You can't get rid of Wentz. Sucks for Foles but he is definitely not getting the start if he stays in Philly.

I don't think this sucks for Foles at all. His stock over the last 4 games has increased dramatically. I'm sure there are a handful of teams willing to overpay for him in historic face-palming fashion.

Remember Matt Flynn?

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think this sucks for Foles at all. His stock over the last 4 games has increased dramatically. I'm sure there are a handful of teams willing to overpay for him in historic face-palming fashion.

Remember Matt Flynn?
Yes, and does every single NFL GM. Wentz will most likely not be able to start the season, so the Birds need to hang on to Foles. Additionally, no GM is going to give them all that much for Foles. The recent track record of his success is simply not long enough. Plenty of QBs have looked that good for a short span, then washed out. You know this. I know this. Why would you think that the folks who do this for a living somehow don't know this?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Remember Matt Flynn?

Or Brock Osweiler? Foles is a hot commodity now and there's pretty much no way the Eagles can keep him as a backup. Him on the bench or a whole slew of draft picks that can help the team immediately? Easy call, he's trade bait. He'll make a fortune playing somewhere else and the Eagles will make out like bandits shopping him.

The downside for Foles is that he'll wind up in someplace like Cleveland or some other shitty team who believes that a good QB will turn around the franchise.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, and does every single NFL GM. Wentz will most likely not be able to start the season, so the Birds need to hang on to Foles. Additionally, no GM is going to give them all that much for Foles. The recent track record of his success is simply not long enough. Plenty of QBs have looked that good for a short span, then washed out. You know this. I know this. Why would you think that the folks who do this for a living somehow don't know this?

Hello, I'm a Redskins fan.

:D

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
How is everyone enjoining the first full day of the Pats not being the reigning champs? Warm and sunny here with a light breeze, very cheerful.
The wind chill sucks and so does the loss. That said cheers to Eagles' fans, their team out played the Pats plain and simple.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
How is everyone enjoining the first full day of the Pats not being the reigning champs? Warm and sunny here with a light breeze, very cheerful.

It's suspiciously quiet at work today. I think everybody is traumatized. It's pretty nice.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
I was rooting for the eagles and was glad they won but the hero of the game is the guy who made brady fumble.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Foles is a hot commodity now and there's pretty much no way the Eagles can keep him as a backup. Him on the bench or a whole slew of draft picks that can help the team immediately? Easy call, he's trade bait. He'll make a fortune playing somewhere else and the Eagles will make out like bandits shopping him.
1. Not likely they trade him. Wentz is injured and they need him for the start of the season.

2. He's not that hot of a commodity, something any seasoned football observer understands. AND there's simply no way in hell anyone is giving the Eagles "a whole slew of draft picks" for him. :eek:

Here, I'll helpfully highlight the many relevant parts of this article below to help you get a better grasp on this situation. ;)

What to do with the spare Super Bowl MVP you have lying around

Now, the Eagles find themselves in a funny predicament that just about every team in the league would love to worry about. While I joked about it during the game, there's no quarterback controversy in Philadelphia. Wentz was the favorite to win league MVP before he went down with a torn ACL. Foles pieced together an incredible postseason, but Wentz is going to be Philly's quarterback for the next decade.

The rest of the league just watched Philadelphia's backup tear apart the NFC's best defense and outduel Tom Brady in a shootout to win the Super Bowl. Foles is under contract for one more year at a cap hit of $7.6 million, with his contract set to void in April 2019. That's big money for a backup (money the Eagles will never regret spending), but it's well below market value for a starter, even as a stopgap or a bridge to a younger quarterback.

Given that the Eagles will likely lose Foles in 2019 to another team, should they at least be willing to listen to trade offers for their Super Bowl MVP?

The argument against the idea is clear. Wentz tore up his knee in mid-December, and while initial reports suggested it was a clean ACL tear, it also now seems likely that Wentz suffered damage to additional ligaments in his knee as part of the injury, which complicates his recovery period. There's no guarantee Wentz is ready for Week 1 of the 2018 season, let alone prepared to play at a similar level to the MVP-caliber form we saw from him this past season. Foles is a hedge against any setbacks to Wentz. Eagles fans can sleep comfortably all spring and summer knowing the floor for their quarterback spot is Super Bowl MVP.

Philadelphia would save $5.2 million on its cap by trading Foles, which would be plenty of money to target a replacement. The Eagles are missing second- and third-round picks in this year's draft as a result of the trades for Wentz and Ronald Darby, although they have an extra fourth-rounder from the Pats as a result of the Rowe trade. Howie Roseman is the most aggressive general manager in the league when it comes to swapping veterans, so I wouldn't put the idea past him, even if the trade doesn't actually happen.

Like anything, I think it depends on the compensation. Some team is going to have to give up a lot to make the Eagles think about it. Roseman probably would look toward the top half of the second round, where the Jets (37), Broncos (40) and even the Dolphins (42) could theoretically look Foles' way. The Cardinals (47) have no apparent options at quarterback and the sort of cap stress that would make Foles' relatively low salary palatable. The Bills have two back-end second-rounders at 53 and 56, and you wonder if they might call about Foles if they cut Tyrod Taylor. Or maybe the Eagles look to acquire a young downfield threat at wide receiver (assuming they plan on declining Smith's option) or a tight end to replace free agent Trey Burton as part of the deal.

In the end, I doubt anything happens. The Eagles can't really justify dealing Foles given Wentz's injury unless a team blows them away with a trade offer, and given that we just saw Jimmy Garoppolo go for a second-rounder and Alex Smith join Washington for a third-rounder and Kendall Fuller, it's difficult to see a team dealing a more valuable pick for Foles. The Eagles return virtually all of their core for 2018. At this point, even though he's a backup, Foles is part of that core.

He probably deserves to have a shot at starting somewhere, but after he lived through the horror of a Jeff Fisher season, you can imagine Foles might appreciate his situation in Philadelphia. After he saved their season and helped lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl trophy, he might be the only backup quarterback in football with his own statue in town. Covered in Crisco, of course.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Never underestimate the combined power of poor management and faint hope. My Facebook feed is starting to get populated by Browns fans who wonder what horrible trade the Browns will make for Foles :p

I should also say congrats to the Eagles and their fans. I was kind of out of it last night; if I'm getting another round of the flu I'm moving some deserted island.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Never underestimate the combined power of poor management and faint hope. My Facebook feed is starting to get populated by Browns fans who wonder what horrible trade the Browns will make for Foles :p

I should also say congrats to the Eagles and their fans. I was kind of out of it last night; if I'm getting another round of the flu I'm moving some deserted island.
I just don't see a trade as likely, but if it were to happen, some team would have to be giving up a decently placed 2nd rounder and a promising young player, plus the Eagles would have had to identify an affordable replacement for Foles (remember, Wentz won't be ready to start the season).

The one thing that could add to a trade happening would be Eagles' gratitude for what Foles did for them impelling the organization to want to reward him with an instant shot to start elsewhere.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
After he saved their season and helped lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl trophy, he might be the only backup quarterback in football with his own statue in town. Covered in Crisco, of course.
He might also be the only quarterback whose statue shows him receiving a pass. o_O

Reactions: Perknose

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

im enjoying it the exact same amount as i would be if the pats had won.

its monday, im at work. things could be a lot worse

IMO you have some serious issues if how you are feeling has anything to do with how a sports team that you have no real connection with preforms

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
When the next 10 Superbowls go to 9 different teams you will realize just how difficult winning 5 of them actually is. Being from Boston I hated seeing the Yankees win championship after championship, (and trouncing the Red Sox along the way) but I realized what I was watching will likely not be done again in my lifetime. It's called respect and most true sports fans have it, even when their teams are not getting any championships. Then we have *hit-heads like you that need a reason to hate because a team you don't like has won quite a lot. The difference between you and I is I can appreciate what a guy like Jeter was about, even when he was killing Red Sox pitching, it took a lot of practice, study, determination to sling a bat like that so he earned my respect, douche's like you should not bother posting in any sports related thread anyway.

Reactions: Anubis

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The Nick Foles memes are cracking me up. Not really much into football because I resent subsidizing it as well as what it does to the players (and a lot of fans), but that was a good game. The fact that a backup QB went up against the best QB (ever?) is pretty cool. I like a good under dog story I guess, and despite being a New Englander don't really care for the Pats at all.

I completely understand the MVP going to Foles, but I think Ertz should get a lot of credit for that one touch down where he lost the ball then regained it. That was a nail biter!

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When the next 10 Superbowls go to 9 different teams you will realize just how difficult winning 5 of them actually is. Being from Boston I hated seeing the Yankees win championship after championship, (and trouncing the Red Sox along the way) but I realized what I was watching will likely not be done again in my lifetime. It's called respect and most true sports fans have it, even when their teams are not getting any championships. Then we have *hit-heads like you that need a reason to hate because a team you don't like has won quite a lot. The difference between you and I is I can appreciate what a guy like Jeter was about, even when he was killing Red Sox pitching, it took a lot of practice, study, determination to sling a bat like that so he earned my respect, douche's like you should not bother posting in any sports related thread anyway.
Somebody has a case of the Mondays.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
The Nick Foles memes are cracking me up. Not really much into football because I resent subsidizing it as well as what it does to the players (and a lot of fans), but that was a good game. The fact that a backup QB went up against the best QB (ever?) is pretty cool. I like a good under dog story I guess, and despite being a New Englander don't really care for the Pats at all.

I completely understand the MVP going to Foles, but I think Ertz should get a lot of credit for that one touch down where he lost the ball then regained it. That was a nail biter!
Talk about a “football” power couple. Ertz’ wife Julie is a current World Cup champion.
https://twitter.com/br_nfl/status/960370802851041280

Which makes for an amusing satire headline, “husband of World Champion Julie Ertz wins regional sports trophy”

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/curre...ampion-julie-ertz-wins-regional-sports-trophy

Last edited:

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013

no the guy who made brady fumble the ball should get the credit. over 2 min brady can move the ball and he was after the second half

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no the guy who made brady fumble the ball should get the credit. over 2 min brady can move the ball and he was after the second half

that play is what won the game for the Eagles, nether team was playing any defense at all. all the pats had to do was get a cpl 1st downs and the game was over. but given how each team was not playing D at all they prob would have walked down and scored a TD if not for that

there was only 1 punt in the entire game