Sun has a plane flying over Corp Dell

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I guess Sun is getting desparate. They will not even be in business much longer. All their good people jumped ship becuase they know Sun's days are numbered.

I am not that up on servers and such. I just know that I like AMD - and Anandtech just gave a rave review tho the new Sunfires. I for one hope they can be good competition to Dell.

statik213

Golden Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Neos
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I guess Sun is getting desparate. They will not even be in business much longer. All their good people jumped ship becuase they know Sun's days are numbered.

I am not that up on servers and such. I just know that I like AMD - and Anandtech just gave a rave review tho the new Sunfires. I for one hope they can be good competition to Dell.

secnd that

Prolog

Sep 13, 2005
I can attest to the sign. The "watch out dell" was NOT photo shopped. The plane flew around the Round Rock Campus for roughly an hour and a half. I saw it myself around noon. It was reported that it made it's way down to the manufacturing facility ~5 miles south of the main campus. I posted the story to my blog/website along with the link to the sun adds.

Link to pic/story

UID0

Sep 14, 2005
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think many of the negative comments about Sun have been made off the cuff and only echo the popular opinions of the ill-informed. I do not have a close friend at Sun but I am a system admin for several hundred Sun servers of various sizes. To give you an idea of the size of our relationship with Sun, all of our devices are on platinum contract and parts are replaced within a few hours. With the exception of a bad batch of memory (made by Hitachi) things have been great.

Many people believe that Sun hardware is expensive and there is some truth to that. Mainly because Sun has been around a while. They come from a time when hardware and software of their type was less prevalent, the type of offerings reserved for major universities and Fortune 100 companies. Then companies like Dell got involved in the server market and things have had to change quickly. Sun (albeit a bit slow to respond) have made some huge changes in both their software and hardware. Their changes in Solaris 9 and 10 have been fairly dramatic. They are shifting away from the old crusty Solaris and adding integration with many popular open source projects. Their hardware platform is shifting from expensive parts to cheaper more efficient parts. As an owner of a AMD64 3200 running 64bit Linux/GNU, I can personally say that AMD's offerings in the 64bit market have Intel in a tough spot. AMD has been at the 64bit party for a few years now, waiting on Intel to show up.

Sun's profit was 4.5 billion last year and they have 3.4 billion in cash. Not too shabby.

To the person that said Sun has had 64bit for a while, that is true but I think the sparc64 has nothing on what AMD has out now. Plus, Sun didn't have a mid-range 64bit offering then like they do now.

Why am I defending Sun? I don't know, I feel like a lot of the negative comments are from people that have never really used a real Sun product (SunRays and Sparc Stations do not count). I guess that kinda makes Sun the Apple of the server market, but I draw no comparison concerning innovation. :)

KristopherKubicki

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Lol @ goosemaster.

NAME: Sun FireTM X4100
BORN: September 12, 2005
HOMETOWN: Menlo Park, CA
MEASUREMENTS: 1.69? H x 16.75? W x 24.88?D (I?m petite and powerful, with
plenty of room for cables.)
I LOVE: Naughty ROI talk, multiple platforms, dimly lit data centers.
RUINS THE MOOD: Energy hogs, high-maintenance technology, big and
nasty servers.
MY FAVORITE BODY PART: Definitely my Dual-Core AMD OpteronTM processor.
It gives me the uncontrollable desire to run SolarisTM (my fave),
Linux, Windows and JavaTM at record-breaking speeds.
THE DIRT ON ME: I have quite the reputation for being fast. Not to brag,
but I?m over 70% faster than the competing Xeon server.1
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Let?s just say I know what I?m doing in the data
center. Performance tests prove I can take on twice the work
with half the servers. Not bad for a server starting at $2,195.
MY IDEA OF A GOOD TIME: Working my dual-processor magic to provide 56%
power savings over Xeon.2
AMBITIONS: I?d like to eliminate boundaries and create a better world
where everyone can truly collaborate. Oh, and swim with dolphins.
WORDS TO LIVE BY: Silicon, not silicone.

That had me cracking up. I loved that X2100 BTW. From what I read though, the X4100 were totally amazing though.

Kristopher

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
All I know is that when specing the hardware for a huge new datawarehouse, the CIO nixed Dell blades right at the start of the conversation. They've used them as network servers for a few years, and both the reliability and support have been questionable. To use them as an Oracle platform just invites trouble. And yes this is for a damned large company, that does hundreds of millions of business with Dell, and has platinum support.

I'm quite happy for Sun - the reviews on their new Sunfires look amazing - and their design philosophy (desktop CPU, desktop chipset, server manageability) is one that not even Dell can undercut on price/performance.

FS

Buzzdog

Sep 14, 2005
Oh my God! Sundays are numbered! Next thing you know they'll be cancelling Saturdays too.

compslckr

Jan 28, 2003

watchoutdell.jpg

ttp://slackerserver.com/uploaded/watchoutdell.jpg

here is another mirror for the image since it seems to have gotten /.'ed

subflava

Feb 8, 2001
>Sun's profit was 4.5 billion last year and they have 3.4 billion in cash. Not too shabby.

Sun did NOT have a 4.5 billion profit last year...I'm not even sure if they ever did that well in their heyday. Anyways, according to their financial statement they *LOST* $11M last fiscal year (ended Jun 05).

http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/investor/earnings_releases/pr/2005-q4.html

However, their numbers do support the fact that they have made big changes and are trying to make a comeback. Breaking even after the horrible stretch they've gone through is not too shabby.

FY Jun 2002 - LOST $587M
FY Jun 2003 - LOST $2.4B
FY Jun 2004 - LOST $388M
FY Jun 2005 - LOST $11M