Sucks to be a conservative.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Bowfinger, as a completely independent and unbiased observer of your exchange with Galt and Hero I can say categorically and without threat of contridiction by similarly alert minds that you are the one holding the high ground. What you hae basically asked for is a rational discussion. I fear your luck in that regard is similar to your hopes for 'clue', but at least you tried. Perhaps next year, when Hero is is 6th grade, we'll get some answers. And dear John, wasn't it subliminal that got you started? :D
Thanks Moonie, but I won't claim the high ground. I should have ignored Zero's troll, or at least left out the sarcasm. I'm afraid I've become too frustrated at people who constantly attack others, but are unwilling or unable to intelligently support their positions or address issues raised. They may even start with specific points, but when those points are challenged, they resort to the D's -- Distort, Distract, Dismiss, Deny, Denounce.

It's too bad, really. If they are well-informed and have put any real thought into their postions, they're missing a great opportunity to clarify and reinforce them.

Actually it was you who trolled. Your "well-informed" input was a definition of "sheep". Attacking eh? I suppose that's why you changed Hero's name to "Zero"? ...or does that somehow "intelligently support" your position or address the issues raised? You always seem to be clamoring for other's to prove things yet you don't seem to have anything to back up your own assertions.

Nice try Bow, but you have no place to criticize anyone in this thread about the things you are trying to - You are just as guilty of it in this thread as those you accuse.

CkG
Sorry Cad, I have neither the time nor the interest to play your narcissistic games tonight. I responded to heartsurgeon's moronic troll with an in-kind reply. Sue me. I replied to Zero's empty "Conjecture" post with a sarcastic challenge to explain how it applied to my comments. Too bad, I'm tired of the mindless hit-and-run attacks of the bleating Bushies, and I acknowledged that I did NOT take the high ground by stooping to sarcasm. Your comment about not backing up my assertions is another one of your lies and you know it. While I don't always provide documentation, I do so quite frequently.

Finally, I note for the record, not one of you has replied to any of the issues I raised, so I will criticize others for their failure to support their positions and address the issues. I may stoop to your level at times, but I can and will support what I say, sometimes for many paragraphs (at which point you guys often whine about how it's too much work to read so much, so you'll just ignore it all and continue your uninformed rants and empty attacks.)

There. I feel better. Moving on.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Bowfinger, as a completely independent and unbiased observer of your exchange with Galt and Hero I can say categorically and without threat of contridiction by similarly alert minds that you are the one holding the high ground. What you hae basically asked for is a rational discussion. I fear your luck in that regard is similar to your hopes for 'clue', but at least you tried. Perhaps next year, when Hero is is 6th grade, we'll get some answers. And dear John, wasn't it subliminal that got you started? :D
Thanks Moonie, but I won't claim the high ground. I should have ignored Zero's troll, or at least left out the sarcasm. I'm afraid I've become too frustrated at people who constantly attack others, but are unwilling or unable to intelligently support their positions or address issues raised. They may even start with specific points, but when those points are challenged, they resort to the D's -- Distort, Distract, Dismiss, Deny, Denounce.

It's too bad, really. If they are well-informed and have put any real thought into their postions, they're missing a great opportunity to clarify and reinforce them.

Actually it was you who trolled. Your "well-informed" input was a definition of "sheep". Attacking eh? I suppose that's why you changed Hero's name to "Zero"? ...or does that somehow "intelligently support" your position or address the issues raised? You always seem to be clamoring for other's to prove things yet you don't seem to have anything to back up your own assertions.

Nice try Bow, but you have no place to criticize anyone in this thread about the things you are trying to - You are just as guilty of it in this thread as those you accuse.

CkG
Sorry Cad, I have neither the time nor the interest to play your narcissistic games tonight. I responded to heartsurgeon's moronic troll with an in-kind reply. Sue me. I replied to Zero's empty "Conjecture" post with a sarcastic challenge to explain how it applied to my comments. Too bad, I'm tired of the mindless hit-and-run attacks of the bleating Bushies, and I acknowledged that I did NOT take the high ground by stooping to sarcasm. Your comment about not backing up my assertions is another one of your lies and you know it. While I don't always provide documentation, I do so quite frequently.

Finally, I note for the record, not one of you has replied to any of the issues I raised, so I will criticize others for their failure to support their positions and address the issues. I may stoop to your level at times, but I can and will support what I say, sometimes for many paragraphs (at which point you guys often whine about how it's too much work to read so much, so you'll just ignore it all and continue your uninformed rants and empty attacks.)

There. I feel better. Moving on.

Sure Bow, you can try to say whatever you want but you neither brought up anything of value, nor did you stay above the fray. You can be tired of whatever you perceive all you want but it doesn't change anything. We've been over this "proof" thing before and it is not a lie, but whatever, think what you want - people here see your posts - they know.

BTW - there is no stooping to "my level" here Bow.;) You didn't rise above the fray. I called it as I saw it with no attack - it's too bad other's didn't. But yes, it gets tedious at times to constantly have to defend against people who don't fully understand the issue or comments who then use canned comebacks. Constantly blaming "the Republicans" or the "YABAs" has become your trademark - I suggest you drop the blame game you claim to tire of. If you have specific criticism - fine, but continually dragging out the same old "mindless/blind sheep" rant is getting old and you aren't going to get decent responses from people when you use them. So I suggest that if you really want an intelligent debate on an issue you might want to consider posting intelligently so others might reply in kind.

Now, as for not addressing your "issues" - I didn't see any that were relevant to anything I posted(which I'd welcome comment on - the post after your sheep definition), just things that went off on tangents that involved others.

Glad you feel better though.:)

CkG

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Oh, and add that it's tough to be a conservative today because we don't feel a need to attack others who hold contrarian views and do not think they way we do....forgot to add that to my list. God I love Wal-Mart.
LOL! Today's "conservatives" are the first to attack people who hold contrarian views. "You're either with us or you support terrrorism." Remember that little chant for months and months? I do. How about Coulter's "Treason" slurs?

I see that as one of the advantages of being a conservative. You feel free to take you own reprehensible behaviors and preemptively turn them around as attacks against the left. That's where you get your claims of "fiscal irresponsibility", "refusing to accept personal responsibility", "liberal media", "restoring integrity to the White House", and "attack[ing] others who hold contrarian views." They are exactly backwards from reality.

I remember Bow. Conservatives are about hate and blame. They are about greed and deception. Scrooge is their role model. They preach Christ but practice malevolence. Their only morality is personal gain at any cost.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Ldir
Oh, and add that it's tough to be a conservative today because we don't feel a need to attack others who hold contrarian views and do not think they way we do....forgot to add that to my list. God I love Wal-Mart.
LOL! Today's "conservatives" are the first to attack people who hold contrarian views. "You're either with us or you support terrrorism." Remember that little chant for months and months? I do. How about Coulter's "Treason" slurs?

I see that as one of the advantages of being a conservative. You feel free to take you own reprehensible behaviors and preemptively turn them around as attacks against the left. That's where you get your claims of "fiscal irresponsibility", "refusing to accept personal responsibility", "liberal media", "restoring integrity to the White House", and "attack[ing] others who hold contrarian views." They are exactly backwards from reality.

I remember Bow. Conservatives are about hate and blame. They are about greed and deception. Scrooge is their role model. They preach Christ but practice malevolence. Their only morality is personal gain at any cost.

Ldir - you seem to have alot to say in your last few posts, unfortunately there seems to be alot of words but no substance in them. It's fine if you want to sit there and rant on about Conservatives and say what you are saying, but the rest of us know how way-off base you really are. Got anything worth talking about or is it just more hate spew?

CkG

Dec 27, 2001

Ah, more "facts" I see. Or is it childish rhetoric...I always get the two confused, don't you, MB?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Sounds like you are confusing Real Conservatives with todays version of Republicans

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Sounds like you are confusing Real Conservatives with todays version of Republicans
I agree. The problem isn't Conservatism per se, it's the scoundrels and warmongers who have hijacked the Republican Party.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I agree. The problem isn't Conservatism per se, it's the scoundrels and warmongers who have hijacked the Republican Party.

Or maybe it's just the perception people concoct to hide flaws in their own thinking, no? Should we ask moonie?;)

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Yup, the sheep all of a sudden became lemmings and never noticed.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

would you like to clarify your position any?

im a conservative and i dont hate a single person/ideology that exists today, but i do blame liberalism for the absolvance of personal responsibility in this country. everybody wants to blame the gun manufacturers for their loved one being killed. everyone wants to blame McDonalds for their obesity. its not the gun manufacturers fault that some idiot got ahold of a gun and shot your loved one, its the idiots fault he pulled the trigger. its not McDonalds fault that youre obese, its your fault because youre not controlling your eating habits enough.

im not about greed or deception. i dont like the welfare institution as it exists today. why should someone on welfare get to sit on their lazy butt all day while the working force of America toils for 8 hrs a fay for their wages? so, instead i say ditch welfare and all the other handouts. hopefully that because im against the redistrobution of wealth doesnt make me greedy in your eyes, because it would be a false accusation. ive been told im a most generous person. :)

and how do conservatives preach Christ but practice malevolance? i need examples of this because any of the Christian conservatives i know preach Christ and practice compassion. they go volunteer to build the houses in the habitat for humanity program, they donate money to charitable orginizations, they go overseas to hostile to perform missionary work [trying to convert people to Christianity, not perfotming lewd sexual acts on unsuspecting natives]

hah, my morality as a conservative follows this definition of morality:

# The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct.
# A system of ideas of right and wrong conduct: religious morality; Christian morality.
# Virtuous conduct.

as a disclaimer to this post, the use of you/youre and everybody/everyone does not necessarily apply to anyone here nor does it apply to truly every person. they were used as simple rhetoric simply to help get my point accross.

tokarev

Dec 18, 2003
:confused:
This has got to be one of the strangest threads I have ever seen. It is supposed to be political in nature, yet there is very little discussion of issues. I have read it from top to bottom, and have found very little actual information. I have never seen so many people get so hot under the collar about "politics", when few issues are even discussed! It just appears to be a sort of rhetoric contest to see who can find the most clever way to say mean-spirited things about each other.

People call themselves "liberal" or "conservative", thus aligning themselves with a group of sorts, then criticize the other side as "sheep." Unless one is some sort of sociopath, one will identify with some group. It is natural for one to seek out those who have values in common with one's own. We are social creatures. It is in our blood and comes as naturally to us as it does to babboons, chimps and gorillas. To associate with others and to adopt many of their ideals does not make one a "sheep."

For a bit of interesting reading, look up the term "group think." Look in psychology publications. I am not implying that it applies to anyone here; I just think everyone should be aware of it, because it is good to seek fresh points of view.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tokarev
This has got to be one of the strangest threads I have ever seen. It is supposed to be political in nature, yet there is very little discussion of issues. I have read it from top to bottom, and have found very little actual information. I have never seen so many people get so hot under the collar about "politics", when few issues are even discussed! It just appears to be a sort of rhetoric contest to see who can find the most clever way to say mean-spirited things about each other.

People call themselves "liberal" or "conservative", thus aligning themselves with a group of sorts, then criticize the other side as "sheep." Unless one is some sort of sociopath, one will identify with some group. It is natural for one to seek out those who have values in common with one's own. We are social creatures. It is in our blood and comes as naturally to us as it does to babboons, chimps and gorillas. To associate with others and to adopt many of their ideals does not make one a "sheep."

For a bit of interesting reading, look up the term "group think." Look in psychology publications. I am not implying that it applies to anyone here; I just think everyone should be aware of it, because it is good to seek fresh points of view.

Welcome to the board! Isn't it amazing?

Now if I can just identify your stance, so I can either ridcule you or unite with you ;)

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

It just appears to be a sort of rhetoric contest to see who can find the most clever way to say mean-spirited things about each other.
Welcome to the Politics and News Forum.

;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Yup, the sheep all of a sudden became lemmings and never noticed.
You're messing up my world Moonie. Do lemmings bleat? What sounds do they make? How am I to properly mock them if I cannot repeat their cries?

Any chance of a Falling-Over-Cliff emoticon? :confused::(

;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You have to understand that an appeal like yours to reason and intelligence falls of deaf ears. People feel bad about themselves and identify with some external group think thingi to group shield themselves from self revelatory pain. Nobody wants to feel bad, especially really really worthless like we all really do, so you have to understand that as soon as somebody calls us a sheep intelligence flies out the window. We aren't here to argue the merits of our positions, but to make the other party(s) feel the pain we think they're trying to make us feel. Nobody's interested in psychology or understanding what's going on. Get real man, it's defend, defend, defend.

Please go away and let us kill each other in peace. Me and my fellow Democrats are better so we'll win.