subway charges more for a POP and CHIPS if you buy a DOUBLE MEAT SUB

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
like pepsi, mt dew, etc

you may know it by the correct term "drink"

FTFY

Way down South, it's referred to as "Coke", then they ask you what kind.
You answer: Mountain Dew, 7-Up, Orange, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, etc.!

Not true at all. A few idiots do this. I know they exist but I'm not sure I've ever met one. Even if there are regions where it is more prevalent, there isn't a single region where it is generally accepted.

most of the united states calls it pop, by land mass

popvssodamap.gif

but you can go on using your quaint local dialect if it increases your self esteem

Except that map is dead wrong. Part of the reason why this gets argued in circles is that the terms are not used equivalently, which is a base assumption for that graphic. For example, you ask anyone around here what they call the beverages you call "pop" and they will say that they call it "soda." In reality, they almost never use the word except in soda vs. pop discussions and say "drink." My experience from coast to coast is that all non-pop regions would ask you what DRINK you want with your meal, but when surveyed they will say "soda" because the surveyer loaded the question with the assumption that we frequently use a word to distinguish sweet carbonated beverages. It's usually not necessary, so we usually don't. in fact, I just replaced the word with "beverages" above after accidentally habitually and unknowingly using "drink." It's ubiquitously referred to as "drink" in any other region and the ubiquity without the need is partly why "pop" annoys us so much. It's also rather silly-sounding.

FYI, that's low populated land mass. The highest populated areas say soda like a normal person so most of the united states says soda not pop. That's why those low populated areas stay low populated, because they say pop.
See, OP? I guarantee you that most fast food places where zerocool84 lives actually ask "what kind of drink would you like with that?". :colbert:

wtf, southern US calls it coke?

i dont even
They don't. The few PEOPLE who do are the minority even where they live. If the graphic is even real, it was weighted to expose the distribution of the few who do or they took advantage of the fact that no one actually says "soda" in place of pop and the respondents had no appropriate answer. Atlanta is the birthplace of bottled and branded soda pop and we still say "drink" unless we have to be more specific. I think another reason we wouldn't say "soda" or "pop" is that sweet tea has always been available at any restaurant or drive thru here and doesn't fit either of those labels.

Or maybe because most of those places, southern borders, is where all the illegal immigrants screw up the name because they are not real Americans. :colbert:
It doesn't usually need a name and you look silly for not only giving it a different one than the rest of the world did but for also using it as often as possible where it is completely unneeded. Heck, most people using "pop" apply it to any sugary drink even though the "pop" in "soda pop" refers to the carbonation bubbles. Call it a drink unless you need to specifically distinguish sweet/carbonated beverages from others.

Just say Soda-pop, then none of these fuckers can whine. Well, they can still whine but at least they would deserve a SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I'm whining. Why are you distinguishing it unnecessarily?

Hmmm. I'm thinking that your unscientific sampling of one county in one giant state certainly discredits the entire map. At least for me. Thanks!
This has come up time and time again and has been refuted almost universally. Not only is the basic premise wrong ("drink" wasn't even an option), but we have yet to ever find someone who lives in a region where "most" say it. Ever ask yourself how it's possible that you haven't confirmed one single region that calls it Coke? You can find people complaining that some in their region call it that, but the trolls claiming to call it that actually outnumber the few who admit to calling it that and even those few would readily admit that they are the minority where they live.

Just like cancer?

cokesodapop.jpg

DRINK. DRINK. DRINKS. /THREAD

Last edited:

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The post above.... yeah, if you go to a restaurant, the waiter/waitress asks you what you want to drink. I don't think I've never heard one specifically state pop/soda/coke, because there are other things to drink besides that. (Iced tea, water, coffee, etc). So not really sure what the point is there.

A better real world example is if someone sends you to the grocery store, asking you to bring home some variety of carbonated beverage. What do they ask you to pick up. Say in their head they were thinking of rootbeer, or ginger ale, or maybe cola, they don't care, just some carbonated beverage:

Can you pick up some pop at the store on the way home?
Can you pick up some soda at the store on the way home?
Can you pick up some drink at the store on the way home?
Can you pick up some coke at the store on the way home?

Now, if someone asked me to pick up some "drink", I'd be like wtf are you talking about? And totally wouldn't think they were specifically asking to get a carbonated beverage. Around here, most people would ask me to pick up some pop on the way home. I would understand that to mean any carbonated beverage. Soda would also make sense to me.

If someone asked me to pick up some coke on the way home - I'd specifically pick up Coke brand. Do people in the south really say "pick up some coke" when they are asking about getting root beer, ginger ale, etc?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Would buy sweetened fizzy drink.

Would buy soda water.

Would buy some beer and a bottle of wine.

Would buy some Coke (and possibly a bottle of rum).

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FTFY

Not true at all. A few idiots do this. I know they exist but I'm not sure I've ever met one. Even if there are regions where it is more prevalent, there isn't a single region where it is generally accepted.

Except that map is dead wrong. Part of the reason why this gets argued in circles is that the terms are not used equivalently, which is a base assumption for that graphic. For example, you ask anyone around here what they call the beverages you call "pop" and they will say that they call it "soda." In reality, they almost never use the word except in soda vs. pop discussions and say "drink." My experience from coast to coast is that all non-pop regions would ask you what DRINK you want with your meal, but when surveyed they will say "soda" because the surveyer loaded the question with the assumption that we frequently use a word to distinguish sweet carbonated beverages. It's usually not necessary, so we usually don't. in fact, I just replaced the word with "beverages" above after accidentally habitually and unknowingly using "drink." It's ubiquitously referred to as "drink" in any other region and the ubiquity without the need is partly why "pop" annoys us so much. It's also rather silly-sounding.

See, OP? I guarantee you that most fast food places where zerocool84 lives actually ask "what kind of drink would you like with that?". :colbert:

They don't. The few PEOPLE who do are the minority even where they live. If the graphic is even real, it was weighted to expose the distribution of the few who do or they took advantage of the fact that no one actually says "soda" in place of pop and the respondents had no appropriate answer. Atlanta is the birthplace of bottled and branded soda pop and we still say "drink" unless we have to be more specific. I think another reason we wouldn't say "soda" or "pop" is that sweet tea has always been available at any restaurant or drive thru here and doesn't fit either of those labels.

It doesn't usually need a name and you look silly for not only giving it a different one than the rest of the world did but for also using it as often as possible where it is completely unneeded. Heck, most people using "pop" apply it to any sugary drink even though the "pop" in "soda pop" refers to the carbonation bubbles. Call it a drink unless you need to specifically distinguish sweet/carbonated beverages from others.

I'm whining. Why are you distinguishing it unnecessarily?

This has come up time and time again and has been refuted almost universally. Not only is the basic premise wrong ("drink" wasn't even an option), but we have yet to ever find someone who lives in a region where "most" say it. Ever ask yourself how it's possible that you haven't confirmed one single region that calls it Coke? You can find people complaining that some in their region call it that, but the trolls claiming to call it that actually outnumber the few who admit to calling it that and even those few would readily admit that they are the minority where they live.

DRINK. DRINK. DRINK. /THREAD

Your entire argument is wrong. You seem to think that the infographic asks the question, "What do you call all drinks?" And you seem to think the answer is "drink." That's not even the question. Soda/Pop/Coke is a segment of drink, and the question (I can't believe I have to spell this out) is, "What do you call soda/pop/coke/carbonated beverages?" Why would "drink" even be an option? Do you have a drink of "drink" when you have a Pepsi? Do you say, "Hey pick me up some "drink" at the store" and expect them to come back with Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Uhhh....what? You are aware that "soda" generally refers to a subset of drinks, specifically sweetened, carbonated beverages, and what to call that subset is the subject of this question? Of course a restaurant isn't going to ask you "what kind of soda do you want", because even fast food restaurants sell water, iced tea, milk, coffee, shakes....lots of other drinks, and then when you're at a sit down restaurant you add in the litany of alcoholic beverages, too. The entire premise of your argument here makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is completely unrelated to anything anyone is talking about here.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Has nothing to do with population. It has to do with civilization status. The more advanced societies call it soda, the slightly less advanced societies call it pop and the dregs of society call it coke.
The people that refer to it as "mineral", where do they fall under?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The people that refer to it as "mineral", where do they fall under?
The entire Irish society falls between the part of American society that refers to soda as "pop" and the part that refers to it as "coke." I suspect the part that calls it "mineral" is closer to our "coke" people, but I can't be certain of this.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The post above.... yeah, if you go to a restaurant, the waiter/waitress asks you what you want to drink. I don't think I've never heard one specifically state pop/soda/coke, because there are other things to drink besides that. (Iced tea, water, coffee, etc). So not really sure what the point is there.
The point was that people who use pop do so as often as possible. People who use soda... rarely actually do.

A better real world example is if someone sends you to the grocery store, asking you to bring home some variety of carbonated beverage. What do they ask you to pick up. Say in their head they were thinking of rootbeer, or ginger ale, or maybe cola, they don't care, just some carbonated beverage:

Now, if someone asked me to pick up some "drink", I'd be like wtf are you talking about? And totally wouldn't think they were specifically asking to get a carbonated beverage. Around here, most people would ask me to pick up some pop on the way home. I would understand that to mean any carbonated beverage. Soda would also make sense to me.
Ugh. Now you're asking a question based on a loaded and wrong premise just like the survey the map was based on. The reason "drink" sounds funny in your scenario is because you deliberately got the plurality wrong.

Question for the person driving home: "Pick up some drinks on the way home." Reply: Diet or regular?" Note: Request did not need to say soda/pop because the request didn't say juice, milk, beer, tea, etc. You can assume that the person would have been specific if they weren't talking about flavored drinks and if they wanted to be that specific about a flavored drink then they would have named the brand/flavor. It's obvious what they want.

Question by the person in the drive thru: "What drink would you like with that?" "Answer: actually, I'll substitute a milk shake."

Question for the person getting gas at a gas station/convenience store: "I'm thirsty. Could you get me something to drink?" Reply: "Sure. Can, bottle, or fountain drink?"

Question for the person passing the vending machine: "Hey, man. Grab me a drink from the Coke machine on your way back from the office, will ya?" Reply: "OK, but last time I passed it they only had diet."

You'll note that "soda" was not used in place of "pop" even once. Calling a vending machine a "Coke machine" is not the same as calling any soda a "Coke," but it could be another explanation for that map being completely wrong. Some people sometimes call a Pepsi machine a "Coke machine" for the same reason you might call an AMP connector a Molex connector: the brand is too closely associated with the function. Yes, to many people, all tissues are Kleenexes, all cotton swabs are Q-tips, all adhesive bandages are Band-Aides, all hook & loop fasteners are Velcro, and all petroleum jelly is Vaseline, but very few people call all sodas "Coke" even if measurably more associate the world's number one brand with all beverage vending machines.

If someone asked me to pick up some coke on the way home - I'd specifically pick up Coke brand. Do people in the south really say "pick up some coke" when they are asking about getting root beer, ginger ale, etc?
No. Some idiots do and it may be higher in the South, but I've never met one and it is not prevalent in any region no matter how much the map implies it is. If you order Coke at a Pepsi establishment, it is interpreted as the flavor (cola) in any region. The only place I regularly see the word Coke used as a substitute for non-cola flavors is when referencing the vending machine, as shown above.

Your entire argument is wrong. You seem to think that the infographic asks the question, "What do you call all drinks?" And you seem to think the answer is "drink." That's not even the question.
Nope. I'm saying that the question is stupidly assuming that the question applies equally to the different regions. It doesn't. in almost every single place someone would use "pop," a so-called "soda" person would use "drink." The poll simply tested their vocabulary to find out what they would use when being extra specific for responding to polls or in conversations like these. Get it? There is almost no reason to ever specify "soda" or "pop." The regions that don't use "pop" DON'T SPECIFY outside of silly conversations like these. It's almost never needed. Pretending that we use it equivalently to make an infographic of incomparable results just because it is the equivalent in our vocabulary is exactly what made the premise and entire result wrong.

Soda/Pop/Coke is a segment of drink, and the question (I can't believe I have to spell this out) is, "What do you call soda/pop/coke/carbonated beverages?"
I can't believe I'm having to spell this out for you when I already said it: WE CALL THEM "DRINKS." We only call them "sodas" when we need to distinguish, which is almost NEVER! Can you honestly say that people who use "pop" almost never use it?! No. That difference in use MEANS SOMETHING!

Why would "drink" even be an option? Do you have a drink of "drink" when you have a Pepsi? Do you say, "Hey pick me up some "drink" at the store" and expect them to come back with Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke?
Are you deliberately leaving out the s in drinks to sound like an idiot? "Drink" is a real word with an English definition that conforms to English rules. It isn't the name of some segment of drinks. You can ask for sodas or pops with an s when you want to make sure someone doesn't just buy one, so don't pretend that you have to leave the s off of those too unless you want to sound like an idiot. I'm not saying "drink" should be the option. I'm saying the poll question was irrelevant to the real question and the real question make results incomparable. I'm saying that "drink" is the answer to the REAL question of "what do we actually call pop in places where we don't call it pop?" I'm saying the poll was dumb (assuming it's source was really a poll) and the answers are incomparable and the infographic based on them was meaningless. It should not have existed with or without a "drink" option.

You see?! Your and it's assumptions are exactly what I am talking about! First, you assume that we need to reference that segment of all drinks, when outside of discussions like this: WE DON'T! That was my entire point. Almost anywhere you weirdos use "pop," the distinguishment from other drinks was entirely unnecessary. You're damn right I'll have a SIP of my Pepsi (see what I did there?). You're damn right that we'll ask each other to pick up some drinks at the store and expect flavored drinks if I didn't specify. Do you think I mean milk? Beer? Tea? Unlike "pop" or "soda," specifying those drink types is equivalent to specifying a flavor like Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke. If no drink type is specified, then you probably mean the kind of drink that can be flavored variously and is often sweetened and carbonated, which generally fits soda/pop and would never be confused with various flavors of alcohol or something. It's also generic enough to include various flavors of cold tea, which is often intentional. Iced tea holds a nearly equivalent position in most places. If you asked someone for drinks and they came out with a selection of sodas, energy drinks, and Snapple/Arizona, then they did exactly what you asked. If you wanted 7-Up or Diet Coke, you should've said so. Same goes if you were asking for "pop."

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Uhhh....what? You are aware that "soda" generally refers to a subset of drinks, specifically sweetened, carbonated beverages, and what to call that subset is the subject of this question? Of course a restaurant isn't going to ask you "what kind of soda do you want", because even fast food restaurants sell water, iced tea, milk, coffee, shakes....lots of other drinks, and then when you're at a sit down restaurant you add in the litany of alcoholic beverages, too. The entire premise of your argument here makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is completely unrelated to anything anyone is talking about here.
The entire premise of the infographic is that we need and use a term to reference that segment. Though we have one, we rarely need it and simply don't use it in day to day conversations. Therefore, soda is absolutely NOT equivalent to "pop." Almost anywhere someone would awkwardly use pop they could have substituted "drink" instead, like I demonstrated above with "DRINK. DRINK. DRINKS. /THREAD" (yes, I fixed it with the missing S; simple typo, geniuses; why would the rules of grammar suddenly not apply when you are talking about sodas?).

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The point was that people who use pop do so as often as possible. People who use soda... rarely actually do.

Ugh. Now you're asking a question based on a loaded and wrong premise just like the survey the map was based on. The reason "drink" sounds funny in your scenario is because you deliberately got the plurality wrong.

Question for the person driving home: "Pick up some drinks on the way home." Reply: Diet or regular?" Note: Request did not need to say soda/pop because the request didn't say juice, milk, beer, tea, etc. You can assume that the person would have been specific if they weren't talking about flavored drinks and if they wanted to be that specific about a flavored drink then they would have named the brand/flavor. It's obvious what they want.

I just want to interrupt you right there to say you are fucking crazy. "Drinks" without any other qualifier implies alcoholic beverages across the english speaking world. The fact that you think "drinks" without any other qualifiers implies carbonated beverages is absolutely baffling.

Question by the person in the drive thru: "What drink would you like with that?" "Answer: actually, I'll substitute a milk shake."
laughable. First of all, most drinks served at a drive thru are carbonated beverages so there is already additional context implied at such a window. Secondly, drinks at a drive thru can also mean coffee/tea/water/juice/etc. all of which are not a part of the subset of "drinks" which are referred to as "soda."

Question for the person getting gas at a gas station/convenience store: "I'm thirsty. Could you get me something to drink?" Reply: "Sure. Can, bottle, or fountain drink?"
You live in a fantasy world where gas stations do not sell water/juice/milk/coffee/etc.

Question for the person passing the vending machine: "Hey, man. Grab me a drink from the Coke machine on your way back from the office, will ya?" Reply: "OK, but last time I passed it they only had diet."
"Drink from the Coke machine" still might not necessarily mean soda if it also has water, which most do these days. Doesn't matter though because you alreay have the additional context of "Coke machine."

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I just want to interrupt you right there to say you are fucking crazy. "Drinks" without any other qualifier implies alcoholic beverages across the english speaking world. The fact that you think "drinks" without any other qualifiers implies carbonated beverages is absolutely baffling.

Drinks infers a liquid beverage, not necessarily containing alcohol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
im glad i don't live where they say pop to mean soda, and i'm glad i don't live where morons think pop means drink.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Drinks infers a liquid beverage, not necessarily containing alcohol.

think he's referring more to the fact of people saying "lets go out to get some drinks" or "lets go drinking tonight" that it universally means alcohol and not going out to have some iced tea or pepsi.

if i hosted a poker game and told people to "bring your own drinks" they wouldn't be bringing over a gallon of milk or koolaid. they would be getting some beer or liquor/mixers.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No shit, but if you ask a girl out for "drinks" does she think you are going out to drink soda/pop?

Drinks infers alcohol in the context of that statement yes. But does drinks automatically mean alcohol? No. CONTEXT HOW DO YOU WORK?!@?

if i hosted a poker game and told people to "bring your own drinks" they wouldn't be bringing over a gallon of milk or koolaid. they would be getting some beer or liquor/mixers.

That is true if all your friends drink alcohol. If one or some of them do not, drinks can infer mixed beverages/juice/carbonated liquids.