Stupidest Computer Periphial or accessory ever invented?

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
What would be the stupiest compujter periphial you would say was invented?

On my list, just two i can think of so far

1. Winmodems
2. Computer monitors with speakers

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
mice with a built in phone.

edit: hey wildcard, get back to work dood. and enable private messages in your profile thingy.

-patchy

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hahah foo, i was like, who is this guy, oh it's apache.

And why are winmodems stupid? Cuz they suck, basically. I mean they use too much of your cpu and plus they have lousy connection speeds with lousy drivers. Not to mention all of the expieriences i have had with windmodems also include memory conflict too.

Francodman

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
wild card, i'd hate to do this but..

1) Winmodems are dirt cheap.

A comparison of average street prices shows that while a good Lucent LT winmodem can easily be found for less than $20 US, the cheapest hardware modem costs twice as much: $39 plus shipping and handling. And for a 3Com part, you'll be paying three times as much, close to $60. Also, you can sometimes find winmodems for $5 after rebates at electronics retailers, or even for free on special promotions.

Everything else we put in our computers is subject to price/performance ratio. In other words, if the performance of a more expensive part does not scale linearly with its price, we don't buy it. (RDRAM, anyone?) The same reasoning must be applied to hardware modems. They certainly don't perform twice as well as winmodems of half the price, and as we'll see, they often don't perform any better at all.

2) Ping times and throughput are not an issue.

Modern Winmodems such as those based on the Lucent LT chipset will display ping times below 100ms and connect speeds around 48000, which is more than adequate for any Internet activity, including online gaming. Any recent softmodem (especially the HCF variety, where the hardware handles a bit more duty) should exhibit similar performance. Below, a cut and paste job from an Aztech Lucent LT v.90 PCI, which sells for as low as $17:

C:\WINDOWS>ping -n 10 router.infoserve.net

Pinging router.infoserve.net [199.175.157.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 199.175.157.4: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=253
Reply from 199.175.157.4: bytes=32 time=105ms TTL=253
Reply from 199.175.157.4: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=253

Ping statistics for 199.175.157.4:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 105ms, Average = 98ms

You may object that pinging an ISP would always yield good results. Actually, it's the only fair way to compare latency between modems. Pinging your ISP reduces the number of variables down to three: your modem's performance, the quality of your phone lines, and the nature of your ISP's modem pool. If we were to compare modems by pinging a fixed point on the Internet, we would quickly introduce several more uncontrolled variables: Internet traffic, server load, number of hops, etc.

If you ping your own ISP with an expensive hardmodem, I think you'll find it extremely difficult to match these numbers from a lowly Lucent LT.

Not bad for $17, eh?

3) CPU utilization is minimal.

One of the main arguments against winmodems has been that they consume CPU cycles. Fortunately, manufacturers have always made sure to set minimum CPU guidelines so that the effect is not noticeable. If CPU usage was ever a problem, it certainly isn't today. CPU power has increased many, many times faster than the technology behind softmodems.

For instance, the CPU usage of a typical winmodem hovers below 5% on a Celeron 333. This is in the range of the power required by Windows to spin an hourglass cursor; it's certainly not something that will eat into your game play significantly. And now we have people running around with Athlons approaching 1 GHz. Any drop in frame rate will barely be measurable, let alone visible.

4) They are reliable.

In my consulting business, I've sold dozens of PC's equipped with the cheapest Winmodems I could find, and only one has ever come back with a genuine hardware defect.

Many ISP support techs have a grudge against winmodems because they feel these types of modems are responsible for innordinate numbers of support calls. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, almost all new computers sold today use winmodems; a person with a new computer and a modem problem will likely be using a winmodem, simply because they are more prevalent. Second, winmodems actually require the drivers they ship with. A new PC user who can't tell the difference between his RAM and his hard drive space will feel his eyes glaze over when confronted with a manual telling him how to install softmodem drivers. Instinct tells him to phone his "Internet guys" and get them to help.

In truth, winmodems are no more apt to fail than hardware modems, and probably less, because they have fewer electronic components.

5) Driver/OS support is excellent.

The Lucent LT, for example, supports Windows 2000, Windows 9x, Linux (see at http://www.linmodems.org under the Vendor section), and even the obscure BeOS. Lucent also seems comitted to releasing a new driver every few months, which means your modem's performance will always be as high as possible.

6) Affordable broadband Internet technology puts any analogue modem to shame.

Anyone using the Internet for something more than email and chatrooms sees the need for widely available broadband Internet access to replace our antiquated 56k connections. Trying to enjoy streaming audio or video over a modem connection is like trying to sip a thick milkshake through a thin straw.

The availability of high speed cable/xDSL access has been growing at a steady rate. At this point, it would be foolish to invest more than the minimum amount in modem technology that is already obsolete.

So when you consider the facts, there are very few valid reasons to avoid winmodems.

Credit :Modus

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hhahaha, wow i guess i was wrong about all winmodems then. Well i based my expierience with winmodems based on the SupraMAX 56k internal modem i bought a couple of years ago. When i installed it, i had irq and memory conflicts all over the place. When i tried connecting it to my isp, i connected at a very low speed, such as 26400 or 28800 even though i was calling a 56k number.

So then i went out and bought a Zoom internal 56 kflex modem and that installed easily. I also had no problems with connecting to a 56k number at a speed higher than 28800. I think i connected at like 44,000 bps.

So i'll take back my comment that ALL winmodems are crappy and that only my supraMAX was.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe the Radio card. Now with Spinner.com and others, it seems a waste. Even without Spinner it seemed a waste.

PowerJoe

Oct 9, 1999
- Those radio cards that seemed to live in every Packard-Bell computer at the Pentium 100-200 era

- Remote controls, on the same PB's

- Microphones built into the case

- Speakers who go into a 5.25" bay

- Monitor coolers

etc...

-PJ

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
D*mn, you beat me to the PB remote control. I'm still amazed that there were actually people who paid money for it. It was beyond stupid :(

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I own LT Winmodem and I connect regularly at 50,666. There, winmodems rocks, especially this one that I got for $10 :)

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
hey sometimes i wish i had a remote for my computer just to control winamp when i'm too far away from my computer to reach the keyboard.

-patchy

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
COME ON! We've had this ridiculous discussion a billion times, and wimodems are NOT noticably slower than normal modems, it's a myth back from the time when we had P200's as the fastest you could get. forget it, Winmodems are fine.

I'll agree with the monitor with speakers thing.....

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Early on WinModems were nortoriously hard to get to work if you knew what you were doing. If you didn't, it was impossible. Instructions were a total joke and bore no resemblance to what you actually encountered when you went to install the thing. If you did manage to get it installed, there was no garantee it would remain installed. For the longest time I avoided WinModems like the plague for these reasons.
Today it's a different story. Most, but not all, install like the're supposed to and work as advertised.

If you're running Win NT or Win 2k you'd be better off avoiding them cause there are still many pitfalls even when a particular modem claims to be compatable.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
hmm actually now that you mention it prodigy....the problem i had with my winmodem did occur on my p166 system with only 32 or 64 megs of ram.....hmm wow. what's the LT stand for? Lucent?

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Oh i think i got a new one, those annoying modem/sound card combos that are fused, glued, stapled, and soldered into motherboards that you get with like Hp's. So you bascially haven o chance of upgrading, lol.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well actually, the trackball isn't toally dead, but yeah it is starting too. I have never used one before.

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
Actually I meant "dead" since it looks like an upside-down mouse, and handles just about as well as an upside-down mouse :D

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Ram is a pretty stupid idea...and hard drives? I mean come on..how retarded are those.

Voice recognition has yet to come into its own in my opinion...and radio cards are pretty idiotic now that I think of it.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
The interact intensor, or whatever it was called. You know, that big subwoofer you had to strap to your back.

2nd, those orb control pads.

soup or man

Jan 17, 2000
WildCard, i feel your pain on winmodems :(
i bought mine for $10 at CompUSA and it conflicted with my sound card, so i could either go online, with no sound, or have sound but not go online :(. winmodems are crap.

i bought a USRobotics 56k months later and all was well.

i LOVED that intensor chair...the subwoofer connect to the chair or sat below it, not on your back :p it never got good reviews, but it sure was fun to sit in :D